Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM

16 posts, read 79,823 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am doing some research on Austin (we are thinking of relocating from CA). I had a few questions that I hope someone can answer. If these are repeats, please let me know and I will do an advanced search.

- Our family has been starting to change our eating style and switching over to some organic products. Other than whole foods, are there any major organic stores? Is there a Trader Joe's in the area?

-We have a son and we need to put him in childcare. What is the average monthly cost for childcare? I was looking on craigslist and some people were charging $500 a month; is this typical for child care centers or mostly for in home childcare.

-Our son happens to have a speech delay. Do they have any childcare centers specialized in speech? I heard of the language workshop, but they are closing at the end of the month.

-In terms of the public school system, do school age children go to schools locally based in their neighborhood, or are they districted outside of their neighborhood? For example, in Georgia, you can only go to school that is in your neighborhood, but in Connecticut your neighborhood can be tied to a couple of schools outside your neighborhood (hope that made sense).

-Lastly, I have done searches on this board and it seems like Steiner Ranch is the place is the most popular. Is this true, and is this community mainly new developed subdivisions with smaller lots or are these homes a bit older with bigger lots.

Thanks for any responses and my apologies for anything that has been already asked.

Brigette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 122,869 times
No Trader Joe's in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to get them there. If you have any ideas let me know! We're moving to Austin from Seattle and that is the one major drawback for me. I love Trader Joe's. They do have Central Market which is comprable to Whole Foods, but a teensy bit cheaper. Still quite pricey compared to TJS.

Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters helped us a lot with questions about school districts. Good luck with your potential move.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 PM

575 posts, read 2,497,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigette View Post
-Lastly, I have done searches on this board and it seems like Steiner Ranch is the place is the most popular. Is this true, and is this community mainly new developed subdivisions with smaller lots or are these homes a bit older with bigger lots.

Thanks for any responses and my apologies for anything that has been already asked.

Brigette
Well, that may certainly stir up the nest, but I'll jump in first.

Steiner Ranch works for us as a family, but having said that, I have discovered that are many neighborhoods in the Austin suburbs. Had we been on the board when we bought in Steiner, I believe we would have also looked in Circle C, and Crystal Falls based on what we looked for. We did at least seriously consider Canyon Creek as well. Somehow, we did not get into River Place at all, but I do remember MLS searches were beyond our budget, but again, we didn't look too hard. Make sure you visit the most popular areas, and see what fits you the best. Don't fall in love with the first 3,500 sq. ft. home that is only $130-$150 a sq. ft., unless that is really what you want.

Now to at least put in a plug for Steiner, all three schools are Exemplary rated, and pretty competitive which I believe is best for the kids in the long run. If you have kids, get a tour of either the two elem, or the Middle School depending on what their ages are.

Also, one thing that is either good, or bad, about Steiner is there are sections with 90' lots, 80' lots, 70' lots, 60' lots, and 50' lots. In those ranges, you can get oversized, so for a 90' lot, you may find one that is a half acre, or more. The homes range in age from about 15-17 years old, to new construction. Actually, right now, some of the prettiest home sites are going up in the newest section. Makes us a little jealous, but then again we get to walk to school with our girls.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,022,399 times
$500 seems really low for daycare...even at home daycare. We just researched daycares in SW Austin last fall. They ran anywhere from $750-$1200+ a month. Our daughter's daycare is $865 per month.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought that amount sounded low for childcare. And I have found school matters in the past and it's very helpful. I just didn't if a school had to be in your neighborhood or not to attend.

Thanks for the info on Steiner Ranch. We will probably rent somewhere first and really look around and then purchase the end of year. Any suggestions on where to rent? We are a small family of 3 with a little boy and my husband is in hi tech and I'm in education. We were thinking of starting off in downtown Austin?

I am so bummed out about the Trader Joes--man, they are so cheap! I will surely miss them. I'll be sure to ask my local trader joes how do we get one up and running in Austin.

Thanks again!
Brigette

Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,542,413 times
stiener ranch really creeps me out. 'master plan' community just sounds really wrong.
like living amongst the stepford wives.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM

37 posts, read 122,869 times
I agree Brigette. The lack of Trader Joe's is a MAJOR bummer. The only downside to living in Texas if you ask me. If TJS were to come into Texas I'm sure they'd go to Austin first. Austin would be perfect demographic for TJS.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
Quote:
$500 seems really low for daycare...even at home daycare. We just researched daycares in SW Austin last fall. They ran anywhere from $750-$1200+ a month. Our daughter's daycare is $865 per month
Heh, I wonder if we cross paths in the morning or afternoon while we drop off pick up our kids...sounds like the price of the place we ended up.

In our 'research', we did find a daycare (Jackie's) for under $600/month that we know lots of people who like it. It has been around for AT LEAST 25 years and I think their low cost comes from owning all their property and being privately run instead of a chain. It is a little different (your kids will learn to swim and dance if they stay there through pre-school) and we have not used them, but our friends love it. It was not close enough for us to use easily, so we ended up elsewhere. Of course, it is in S. Austin....

As for speech classes, I might be able to find someone who knows more. I have a group of friends that are speech therapists and work for the charter schools. They might know something about other options, but I think she is on summer break and travelling with her hubby right now, so I don't have the faintest idea on how to get hold of them.

Public shools may or may not be located in your neighborhood. Generally, the elem is located very close to the students, but as you go further up the 'chain', the JH and HSs draw from an increasingly large area. You can go to this site and it will tell you what addresses go to what schools:
https://access.austinisd.org/school_boundaries/
If I remember, GA typically organizes schools by county lines, with some counties consolidating into larger districts. In TX, the districts are pretty much independent of any other political boundaries (at least, as far as I am aware of).

Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM

Trainwreck-Thanks so much for the school info, I appreciate that help.

As far as Trader Joes, here is a link from their website if you want to do a location request. I just put one in, so the more people who ask for it, maybe it will happen.

Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us:Location Requests (http://traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx - broken link)

Thanks again to all, this board is so fantastic!!!
Brigette

Old 06-12-2007, 01:37 PM

44 posts, read 170,070 times
I thought I had figured out a way to make my fortune...franchise a Trader Joe's! Imagine my disappointment.

Quote:
11. Do you guys franchise?
No. All our stores are company owned and operated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin