Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Sorry I know this is from way earlier in this thread but I think of the exact same thing when I see some of the newer developments. Peered in some of the ground floor windows on one that wasn't completed / occupied yet and the insides are just tiny. Maybe the developers are just giving the younger generation what they seem to want.
And the configurations are wonky, too. I reckon a lot of it is to be able to say: "formal dining room" or "office" or "4th bedroom" or "flex" room when selling. Even though our townhouse is 10 years old this summer, it "offers" a huge media/game room in the middle of the top floor...no closet, no doors...it actually could be a decent bedroom but you can't call it that Heck, it may be the biggest room in the place!(Actually, the master has a little 'sitting area' that makes it larger.) So, a top floor room that is almost 15 x15'...??? Contrast that with the laundry room that is 1/4" (yes, INCH) larger than the washer/dryer !!!(OK, sort of kidding; but the door swings within 1/4 inch of the dryer)

ONE thing Pulte did right with these townhomes is the 'oversized' garage. We have a half-bay extra on one side and the other side is a good two feet wider than 'typical' new garages. I've not seen anything like that as a stock plan in new construction around here(certainly not in the sub-$350k range).

I can't imagine spending over a half million dollars on a home "in town" and having to park $45-$50K vehicles under a tree!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I can't imagine spending over a half million dollars on a home "in town" and having to park $45-$50K vehicles under a tree!!!
I think I will add that to my 'bucket list' - never buy a $45k car. I think I am old enough now, I should be able to do it (or not do it, whatever ).

Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,521,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think I will add that to my 'bucket list' - never buy a $45k car. I think I am old enough now, I should be able to do it (or not do it, whatever ).

No kidding - $45K on a pool is "wasting money" but a $45K car is worth it.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Of course, it's not for everybody, it's a huge indulgence...and we are actually scaling back on vehicle expenditures(see the FIAT 500L in the garage); but I'm no longer surprised when our in-town bike rides take us by homes that cost triple what our townhouse cost and the fresh Audi Q7 and requisite BMW M series or Lexus LX are parked on the street or under a tree in the driveway...alas, no garage to protect them(and the driver). Different strokes as they say.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Of course, it's not for everybody, it's a huge indulgence...and we are actually scaling back on vehicle expenditures(see the FIAT 500L in the garage); but I'm no longer surprised when our in-town bike rides take us by homes that cost triple what our townhouse cost and the fresh Audi Q7 and requisite BMW M series or Lexus LX are parked on the street or under a tree in the driveway...alas, no garage to protect them(and the driver). Different strokes as they say.
Yes, and again, I am not going to judge. That is just my personal thought process. Expensive cars, especially when they are replaced every few years, just makes me think about how much further my retirement would be moved down the line.

Actually, my wife works with designing those chips that go with all that fancy electronic stuff in vehicles nowadays. The more other people buy those cars (and the less we do) accelerates my retirement .

Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I am obviously the outlier but love the benefits of living in a smaller house. Less stuff to buy, less to clean and maintain. Being creative about how to use what space there is efficiently. More time to do fun things other than home repair. It kind of baffles me why so many want to live in a space larger than needed other than it's a cultural expectation to want more.
it baffles me why anyone would want less.

The great thing about this country is that each person decides for themselves what they want.

We put limits on that, and the question is where do those limits belong?

My wifes extended family had 4 people living in a single bedroom, 5 families in a house. They were absolutely fine with it, the house was immaculate and always was lively. Maybe you should be living in a single room and sharing the rest of the house with 4 other families.

There is no right or wrong with how people want to use space. Your way is not *the* correct way any more than my way is or my wife's extended family.

I need workshop space for all my hobbies. I load guns, do wood work, maintain mountain bikes and want to weld. I need space as gunpowder and welding dont mix. I want 1500 sq ft of air conditioned shop space.

I would want my own indoor shooting range, indoor/outdoor pool, enough space to host a party of 100, a ballet room for my daughter to dance in.

Im fine with some areas of austin having setbacks, greenery. but if the city wont allow increased density then they need to shut up about affordable housing.

The *only* way to get affordable housing is to increase supply (or reduce demand). The only way to increase supply is to increase density.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,345,361 times
While I suppose I can deal with a home that is 1500 sq ft, I know that I can NOT deal with only one bathroom. I want an en suite bath plus a guest bath at the very minimum. There were several things that I didn't care for with the centrally located houses in our price range -- the small space, some with lack of garage, cars parked on the curbs on both sides, small lots, most needed significant remodeling, etc. Since we only wanted to spend $400-500k and not 700 and up, that would mean that I'd have to deal with things (like having one bathroom) that I really didn't want to deal with.
I guess my perfect house is probably the one we're in now. Enough space but not monstrous. Enough land for us to handle. And no, we're not in the middle of a cornfield.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,383,523 times
What exactly is an en suite bathroom? I see that term lately but I don't know what it really means. Is it a new marketing phrase for master bath?
Regarding financial and housing choices, one's perspective often changes as you get towards the retirement bend.
I hope that all the big house and expensive car owners also have big retirement savings.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:27 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,345,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
What exactly is an en suite bathroom? I see that term lately but I don't know what it really means. Is it a new marketing phrase for master bath?
Regarding financial and housing choices, one's perspective often changes as you get towards the retirement bend.
I hope that all the big house and expensive car owners also have big retirement savings.
It's not a new marketing phrase. It is used interchangeably with master bath, though in other some other countries "en suite" is used more often than "master bath". In any event, that's what I was referring to.

I think you are assuming too much. Having either a large or small house reveals nothing about a person's financial shape, including retirement. One of two things will happen at retirement - we hold onto said house and continue to live in it without a mortgage or we sell said house and take the dough. Housing is the biggest chunk of our household budget anyway, so either scenario would work for us.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,383,523 times
Quote:
we hold onto said house and continue to live in it without a mortgage
That was our plan too but the property taxes are stomach turning. Luckily, I just sold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin