Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
The median of SH130 is 200 feet wide*, not 5ft wide like it is at the upper-lower split. The rocks are coming from oncoming traffic.
But not all the throwing is happening at the u/l split. It's also happening in areas where there's a non-negligible median. Extra distance is no guarantee of safety, especially if they're using some sort of slingshot like mentioned above.

or they'll move over to 183. Or to Mopac. Or to 71. Or to....

Or are you proposing tolling and surveilling each and every one of those?

Quote:
I digress, though - You're right, Novacek - this problem should remain on the shoulders of City of Austin taxpayers, and should continue to affect the 5X as many people that take I-35 instead of SH130. Why swap these two highways and fix this problem?? Pure lunacy
If you swap the two highways, there won't be "5X as many people that take I-35 instead of SH130."

Quote:

* which could accommodate another 12 lanes of expansion on the current SH130 - yet ANOTHER reason to make this road I-35 by swapping the highways.

If you add a bunch of additional lanes, there goes all that safety buffer you were pointing to before.

The solution to this problem is to catch the people responsible.

Not trying to exploit this situation and these victims for your own personal agenda.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
I only read the first two sentences and saw how hard you were trying to stretch.

Enjoy your one-man pissing contest.

out.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
obviously we should ban rocks or at least register them.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
obviously we should ban rocks or at least register them.
Only high-capacity rocks.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
But not all the throwing is happening at the u/l split. It's also happening in areas where there's a non-negligible median. Extra distance is no guarantee of safety, especially if they're using some sort of slingshot like mentioned above.

or they'll move over to 183. Or to Mopac. Or to 71. Or to....

Or are you proposing tolling and surveilling each and every one of those?

If you swap the two highways, there won't be "5X as many people that take I-35 instead of SH130."

If you add a bunch of additional lanes, there goes all that safety buffer you were pointing to before.

The solution to this problem is to catch the people responsible.

Not trying to exploit this situation and these victims for your own personal agenda.
We don't agree on many things, but you typed all the responses I was about to type to sojourner's suggestions and reasons therefor. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
you typed all the responses I was about to type to sojourner's suggestions and reasons therefor.

But you didn't, so we'll just have to take your word for it.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
The pro-toll-road shilling and vitriol against the homeless, both of which have 0% to do with the situation at hand, is some of the most bizarre logic I've ever seen on the Internet.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The pro-toll-road shilling and vitriol against the homeless, both of which have 0% to do with the situation at hand, is some of the most bizarre logic I've ever seen on the Internet.

I am not advocating that toll roads are for everyone. I would ban Muslims from using them.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 AM

123 posts, read 120,745 times
Just because toll cameras would be set up to try to catch the common license plates at the times of the incidents, that doesn't mean that actual tolls have to be collected.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
Sorry buddy but clamiing the homeless are just all so innocent and down on there luck is a complete crock. Maybe I did jump the gun in feeling that they may be apart of this given the stretch of road (like most of Austin) hAs plenty of homeless camps under or around it.

I'm not going to go trough Austins news sites to copy and past all the damn stuff that has been reported on in regards to crime and mischief that was at the hands of the homeless. Not all are bad obviously. Not all are druggies. Not all are not trying to better themselves. I never said that. But you've never been assaulted, sexual assaulted, murderded or been a victim from one either. There's very obviously a homeless issue in this city as I've discussed before in another thread.. You need to get out and travel more if you don't think so.

Now again, I'm not saying they are for sure related to this case- but in my view it shouldn't be counted out. There's literally been 70 plus cases and so far there's been no leads for anything. Funny part is this is happening down the road from the police station. Either way whoever the suspects are they need to be caught ASAP before another innocent person has to spend their life in a wheelchair all because some scum finds it amusing to chuck rocks at cars on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin