Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,527 times

Advertisements

Haaalp! We are looking to relocate to Austin, TX, most likely early 2017. We know nothing about it except what you can google, haha. Of course everything online and in the Relo Guide looks wonderful, but I'm wondering what areas really would be the best bang for the buck since we have a small budget of $250k, and which areas to avoid (due to terrible resale value, crime, etc). My husband will be working downtown in Barton Hills, so a MAX 40-min commute (during rush hour) is top of the list. We don't have kids and are outdoorsy so being near water features, dog-friendly areas, and walking/bike trails is more important than schools. A decent lot size (at least 1/3 acre, preferably more) is a MUST, which seems to be the limiting factor on my online searches... :\ Ideally 3br/2ba - fixer-uppers are ok as long as they're not falling down Any suggestions on specific areas to look would be great! We'll set up a scouting trip with a Realtor this fall (if it works out) but wanted to get some local feedback first. TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,570,722 times
Take out the 1/3 acre and you might be able to find something in south Austin, Kyle or Buda. I wouldn't look too much further north as real estate gets much more expensive the closer to town you get. Northeast Austin may also be an option, but that would put your commute at or more than 40 minutes.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenyards85 View Post
A decent lot size (at least 1/3 acre, preferably more) is a MUST, which seems to be the limiting factor on my online searches...
You're not going to find this, and until you're ok with that, there is no where to suggest you find something, unless you're willing to go out an hour from downtown to someplace like Taylor or Elgin or Bastrop where you'll get something older on a larger postage stamp-sized lot for your price.

Austin is no longer great for under $250, muchless for something larger than 60X120 lot size.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,014,420 times
You will need to give up the 1/3 acre lot. They are not super common in Austin and places where they are (Allandale, Westlake, etc) are far out of your price range.

Unfortunately, there isn't much within a 40 minute commute of downtown at that price except for the new developments on the far East Side, Easton Park etc. Luckily school aren't an issue for you.

You will need a great realtor and expect to be in a multiple bid situation in that price range -- any where in the Austin area. Price is your greatest limiting factor in the Austin market.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:21 PM

145 posts, read 171,921 times
Take 40, divide by 3. That's the number of miles that make up 40 min. Get a map and draw a circle with the number as the radius. Then go to Zillow and search in that area for less than 250k.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,386,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenyards85 View Post
Haaalp! We are looking to relocate to Austin, TX, most likely early 2017. We know nothing about it except what you can google, haha. Of course everything online and in the Relo Guide looks wonderful, but I'm wondering what areas really would be the best bang for the buck since we have a small budget of $250k, and which areas to avoid (due to terrible resale value, crime, etc). My husband will be working downtown in Barton Hills, so a MAX 40-min commute (during rush hour) is top of the list. We don't have kids and are outdoorsy so being near water features, dog-friendly areas, and walking/bike trails is more important than schools. A decent lot size (at least 1/3 acre, preferably more) is a MUST, which seems to be the limiting factor on my online searches... :\ Ideally 3br/2ba - fixer-uppers are ok as long as they're not falling down Any suggestions on specific areas to look would be great! We'll set up a scouting trip with a Realtor this fall (if it works out) but wanted to get some local feedback first. TIA!!!
You will not be able to find anything for 250k within 15 miles of downtown, (mileage that takes 40 minutes during rush hour), that is 3br/2ba. You could find a small "condo" that may be 2br/2ba. These areas will be the higher crime areas of Austin. You will be able to find something in Pflugerville, but the commute may be a little over 40 minutes during rush hour. Also, the real-estate market is ruthless there. You have to put in an offer on the listing day and have to be willing to pay at least a few thousand over asking.

I would extend your search within a 25 mile area of downtown which will give you far more options and suburbs, such as Pflugerville, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Manor, Buda, and Kyle. This will put you at about an hour commute during rush hour. Unless you are willing to spend 400k+ on a home, you can't find much in Austin.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:15 PM

615 posts, read 776,025 times
- $250k
- 40-min commute
- At least 1/3 acre

Pick two.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
- $250k
- 40-min commute
- At least 1/3 acre

Pick two.
More like, pick 1...

Old 05-28-2016, 05:48 PM

615 posts, read 776,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
More like, pick 1...
Not really, you can have any two of those.

Edit:

Plenty of houses in south Austin that are under $250k and less than 40 min commute. Several options for under $250k on at least 1/3 acre, but long commute. And loads of options for house within a 40 min commute on a 1/3 acre lot, but price is going to be much more than $250 budget. So again, pick two.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:52 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,570,722 times
I'm also going suggest you rent for a bit before deciding where you would like to buy. Personally, I would have made a huge mistake buying something near wells branch when I moved here. After six months I found the area I'm in and think it's 110% better. Not that resale is a. Issue in the city, it would just be a pain to buy and then move again. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin