Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:19 AM

15 posts, read 17,349 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Austin in the next 12 months. currently live in Cleveland ohio, i want to know whats it like to live there, still have to visit and see for my self.

Pros?
Cons?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Just as you have found when you asked about Boston, Chicago and Miami Beach, there are many threads discussing this very topic. At least a half dozen threads on the first page debating various nits, picks, and raves about the Austin area. No need waiting for new responses to a rather open-ended question.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM

90 posts, read 101,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMETO2 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Austin in the next 12 months. currently live in Cleveland ohio, i want to know whats it like to live there, still have to visit and see for my self.

Pros?
Cons?

thanks
Just have to excuse some posters here.. They seem to think they are too good to answer questions and have decent debates..

I move from Arkansas to texas for a job.. starting to regret it but i am here..

Pro: Lot more jobs here than i experience at other places, and more diverse. UT makes up the majority of population, so have tons of High end and low in Bars, Dives, and communities.

Cons: Very over price market here as in living cost, and pay can be better. Most dont pay enough to cover rent if you want to live anywhere in city limits of austin. IMO.. Spanish seems to be the first language in most areas, so use google translator if needed.

So i hope i answer your question from a outsider to another outsider.. Just ignore the ones that just think they are better than others here..

Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post
Just have to excuse some posters here.. They seem to think they are too good to answer questions and have decent debates..

Pro: Lot more jobs here than i experience at other places, and more diverse. UT makes up the majority of population, so have tons of High end and low in Bars, Dives, and communities.

Cons: Very over price market here as in living cost, and pay can be better. Most dont pay enough to cover rent if you want to live anywhere in city limits of austin. IMO.. Spanish seems to be the first language in most areas, so use google translator if needed.

So i hope i answer your question from a outsider to another outsider.. Just ignore the ones that just think they are better than others here..
That's not true at all. While I do agree alot of people speak spanish in Austin, it doesn't make up the majority. Also Tech makes a big part in the Austin economy. Google, IBM, Apple, Texas instruments, Dell, ect.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Read the sticky //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...fo-thread.html

Lots of Austin Data here //www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-04-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 12:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post

Good grief, these points are so untrue it isn't even funny anymore.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
That's not true at all. While I do agree alot of people speak spanish in Austin, it doesn't make up the majority. Also Tech makes a big part in the Austin economy. Google, IBM, Apple, Texas instruments, Dell, ect.

Depends on where you end up in the city. At the school I work at, 78752, the population is 97% Hispanic with at least 60% of the children classified as English Language Learners...which would also translate to their parents speaking Spanish. It's a benefit to know it, a large benefit at that, but there are other areas in the country where there is more Spanish than English spoken.

However, if I go a bit north/south English is what I hear. It's not San Antonio, where if you live in specific pockets you would only run into Spanish speaking families, though.

To better answer the OP's question I think we need to know more about them. What type of job will you be looking for? Kids? Price range? Activities? Interests? Any specific cultural interests or background? The city can be great for some people but can be a bad decision for others.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Depends on where you end up in the city. At the school I work at, 78752, the population is 97% Hispanic with at least 60% of the children classified as English Language Learners...which would also translate to their parents speaking Spanish. It's a benefit to know it, a large benefit at that, but there are other areas in the country where there is more Spanish than English spoken.

However, if I go a bit north/south English is what I hear. It's not San Antonio, where if you live in specific pockets you would only run into Spanish speaking families, though.

To better answer the OP's question I think we need to know more about them. What type of job will you be looking for? Kids? Price range? Activities? Interests? Any specific cultural interests or background? The city can be great for some people but can be a bad decision for others.
The quote was: Spanish seems to be the first language in most areas

There is nothing remotely true about this in Austin, except in tiny pockets such as the school where you work. It is not the first language in anywhere near "most areas."

Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
The quote was: Spanish seems to be the first language in most areas

There is nothing remotely true about this in Austin, except in tiny pockets such as the school where you work. It is not the first language in anywhere near "most areas."
Well maybe the person who posted that con has only been in those few pockets. While I agree it is not as dominant as it is in other areas, if you stick to specific areas of Austin that could be your experience. And it is beneficial to speak it.

Also I think it might be higher than you think - http://kut.org/post/28-percent-austi...k-english-home just for numbers sake (and yes, this means the word 'majority' is incorrect).

Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Well maybe the person who posted that con has only been in those few pockets. While I agree it is not as dominant as it is in other areas, if you stick to specific areas of Austin that could be your experience. And it is beneficial to speak it.

Also I think it might be higher than you think - 28 Percent of Austinites Don just for numbers sake (and yes, this means the word 'majority' is incorrect).
Um no. If you have read any of that person's posts, you'd know that isn't true. He's the opposite of inclusive.

The poster said "Spanish seems to be the first language in most areas." That is 100% not true. And the KUT piece certainly doesn't support that at all. It states: "about 28 percent of residents speak a foreign language at home." It says a foreign language, not Spanish. And it only says they speak it at home, not it's the sole language spoken at home.

In your social work to a school with a majority Spanish speaking population, it's a helpful skill. It's certainly not necessary in daily life in Austin Texas. It's one of the several languages I speak fluently, and my use of it here has been minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin