Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM

90 posts, read 101,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The other posters are to busy being petty over grammar. At our very large non IT company with a large in house IT department the foreign worker ratio is 50\50. Btw we are in San Antonio not Austin so it might be different.

About all they do now, since they dont know how to debate and read a article. I am lucky enough that were a small firm and it is just me and one other person doing the job that will normally take 5 people to do. Boss really wants us to cut our hours so he can hire a 3rd person part time and pay us less.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:57 PM

319 posts, read 347,020 times
Mr gagget, the thing that is most disturbing is you are anti H1Bs, but your English skills are about middle school level for Americans. Not an adult with an IT job.

Would you explain why you can barely write English, but complain about foreign workers?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,150,241 times
if you are excellent at what you do (top 10-20%) you never have to worry. The top 10% from india are also expensive

H1B employers are supposed to advertise the position and show that they couldnt hire an american for the job. They have to show the wage they are offering is industry standard.

Of course companies cheat, but in the end the foreign workers with experience who are good will be the same cost as americans.

To some extent this is true at the state. Companies like accenture populate state contracts with indians. So much so that the lobby of the state tech buildings smell like curry.

Same with some of the dell buildings and plaza 7000

Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM

90 posts, read 101,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if you are excellent at what you do (top 10-20%) you never have to worry. The top 10% from india are also expensive

H1B employers are supposed to advertise the position and show that they couldnt hire an american for the job. They have to show the wage they are offering is industry standard.

Of course companies cheat, but in the end the foreign workers with experience who are good will be the same cost as americans.

To some extent this is true at the state. Companies like accenture populate state contracts with indians. So much so that the lobby of the state tech buildings smell like curry.

7-11 is right in that group. We did a project for NEC, and we noticed that every 711 station we went too was own and ran by some Pakistan or some type of foreign workers. The PM said they get a huge tax write off for this reason and prefer to hire and sell to them. Most 711 are own by a individual and the will only sell to others with in their culture. This came straight from one american owner who refuse to sell to a Indian decent. He afraid it might go down hill, as his store was very well kept and clean vs the others i seen.

So question is if they start to get rid of the H1b status, do you think it will improve the employment market?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM

138 posts, read 155,327 times
Take it to the work and employment forum. Where they'll point out that Indian and Pakistani are different cultures.

Sucks that people like you are moving here. Uneducated racist felons that feel the city they move to owes them an excuse can really put a drag on the culture.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-07-2016 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 PM

532 posts, read 1,393,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post
Thank you for reading the article.. glad somebody can read.. I hope they stop the h-1B sooner than later, as it is pushing the american workers out of the job. Claim they cant find qualify people to fill the jobs is most BS excuse ever.
I had a bad gut feeling from this guy's first post that he would eventually get to the "brown furriners are stealing good old white American jobs" level of ignorance. Now at least I can put him on Ignore with a clear conscience.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,958,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post
7-11 is right in that group. We did a project for NEC, and we noticed that every 711 station we went too was own and ran by some Pakistan or some type of foreign workers. The PM said they get a huge tax write off for this reason and prefer to hire and sell to them. Most 711 are own by a individual and the will only sell to others with in their culture. This came straight from one american owner who refuse to sell to a Indian decent. He afraid it might go down hill, as his store was very well kept and clean vs the others i seen.

So question is if they start to get rid of the H1b status, do you think it will improve the employment market?
There is no such thing as a tax write off for "selling to them." It is illegal to refuse to sell to someone based on their race or nationality.

So you've proven yourself completely incapable of writing a sentence in English and are a racist to boot. There's a reason your life has gone sideways, and it has nothing to do with H1B Visas.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,233,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

So all those armies of Indians must indicate that the local talent isn't good enough, right? Or at least not in the top 10-20%. What are we doing wrong that home-grown IT workers are so inadequate that we have to bring in foreign replacements?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 AM

138 posts, read 155,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
So all those armies of Indians must indicate that the local talent isn't good enough, right? Or at least not in the top 10-20%. What are we doing wrong that home-grown IT workers are so inadequate that we have to bring in foreign replacements?
Read any of the OP's posts. Then wonder about the work product.

Go to the W&E forum and peruse the myriad of posts on the exact same subject, all of which have once central theme:

I was here first. I was told I was important. I'm worth more than them. They undercut wages.

Ok. You're so much better? Open a competing shop. Sell value over price.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,009,428 times
Not sure what is going on here in the thread but some of what the OP says is true. However, not all the jobs are going to people from India, some are. The jobs are going to other countries. Here in the US I can only tell you what happened to us. Years ago a member of our family was a "contract" worker for several IT companies. Jobs in IT were being outsourced and the job was given to someone from another country. The kicker was they had to train the person from the other country getting their job. And, the person losing the job was NOT uneducated...stellar work history, graduated *** laude. The reason IT does this: they claim it's cheaper to outsource, which doesn't make sense to me. That *"big sucking sound" is still going on although some don't want to acknowledge it. *Ross Perot

Maybe I don't understand it all but companies like GM that can ruin entire economies, (and lives) by outsourcing and moving most of their operation to another country for cheap labor should be fined. Instead we bailed them out. Then, who got the blame for the whole thing? The worker and the Union.

Now, if you want to talk "contract workers" I can tell you that within our Federal Government IT the contract workers outnumber the Union workers by far, in Austin. But, the Union workers are the ones getting the bad rap. On top of it all the contract workers make MORE than the Union workers and seem to get preferential treatment. Is this isolated within just the Austin Federal Government IT? I don't know. I can only tell you what is going on here.

There is a strong anti Union sentiment here in Texas. My opinion is Unions are not ALL bad just as some businesses are not ALL bad without Unions. However, some are still fighting the war even though it's over.

Not everyone is a racist that asks sensitive questions. Get beyond the grammar mistakes. We all make them.

American IT workers are not inferior.

A link about convenience stores:

http://www.nacsonline.com/research/f...torecount.aspx

Outsourcing:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-offshore-outsourcing-of-american-jobs-a-greater-threat-

than-terrorism/18725

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/dat...obs-since-2001

http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradep...US-Economy.htm

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...s-outsourcing/

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 06-06-2016 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin