Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times

Advertisements

The health risks of just standing water are great enough this year to warrant some attention from the city(provided the home is actually IN the city limits). If not the city, the county health dept. folks should get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Seems like every neighborhood has a family of Clampetts.

I see nothing wrong if someone wants to collect junk & all sorts of crap around their yard while living in a pig sty of a house. Only - do it out in the sticks where nobody will notice, and NOT in town where it defiles a neighborhood & lowers property values.

Anyone remember that nutcase who lived in northeast Austin decades ago who was such a neighborhood nuisance? IIRC, he was retired military who hoarded all kinds of crap in his yard. After years of complaints, citations from the city & at least one mandatory cleanup, he was finally forced out and the house razed (it was condemned as a health hazard).

Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I see nothing wrong if someone wants to collect junk & all sorts of crap around their yard while living in a pig sty of a house. Only - do it out in the sticks where nobody will notice, and NOT in town where it defiles a neighborhood & lowers property values.

Anyone remember that nutcase who lived in northeast Austin decades ago who was such a neighborhood nuisance? IIRC, he was retired military who hoarded all kinds of crap in his yard. After years of complaints, citations from the city & at least one mandatory cleanup, he was finally forced out and the house razed (it was condemned as a health hazard).
Yes, I remember that!

Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,550 times
thanks so much for your help everyone!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,630,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
I live in a neighborhood with an HOA. There are several properties on my street that have been complete eyesores for years. I haven't had the time or energy to attend HOA meetings to find out what prevents them from being able to get the residents in question to comply, so I need to get more involved. My point is that simply living in an HOA controlled community doesn't solve the problems.
This is true. You have to get involved, but at least you have the leverage of a HOA.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,630,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklin22 View Post
Hello,
Recently visited my sister, who lives in Austin with her young family. Their neighbor's yard is a legitimate junk yard. Rats, standing water, junk and trash covering every last inch. I learned she has called the city close to 50 times over the past year or so, and there has been NO action. The yard has been this way for years now. I am very confused as to how this is legal? I believe the house is rented. Does anyone have any advice as to how we can rectify this situation? She has two very young toddlers who cannot even use their backyard due to the smell and health hazards. (side note, I am not from Austin, so have no idea about the codes/laws that would pertain to this issue).
Thanks in advance for any help you may have.
Is your sister (and her neighbors) a member of nextdoor.com? Many neighborhoods are and this would be a good site to post the pics and get help from the neighbors.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,595,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Is your sister (and her neighbors) a member of nextdoor.com? Many neighborhoods are and this would be a good site to post the pics and get help from the neighbors.
Took the words right out of my mouth aka keyboard.
Nextdoor.com is a great site... Hope it helps.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:17 PM

658 posts, read 714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My HOA management company drives the neighbor (and all their neighborhoods) once a week and they love mailing out letters to homeowners not in compliance. If your weeds are a millimeter too long, you get a notice. If your landscaping is hideous, you get a notice. If your trash cans can be seen from the street, you get a notice...

It's not necessarily the HOA doing this, but it's the management company that the HOA pays to manage the issues.
Sounds like that episode of the X Files called "Arcadia."

Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,866,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I remember this. There was also a prominent case with some guy in the Balcones Woods area about 10 years ago. I think it was finally resolved.

I would recommend getting the local TV news involved. KVUE loves stories like this, and I've seen them force the issue with the City of Austin, which has become notorious for inaction on such matters. The other TV stations probably love this kind of thing as well.

Even in Allandale, where I live, we have pigs living next to beautiful homes appraised at a half million dollars even with it next door. And our neighborhood association has no power to do anything.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,523,113 times
Rats? Call the health department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin