Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times

Advertisements

Society's commitment to society itself ebbs and flows over time, I see a lot of people in a hurry driving thru neighborhoods in Austin. There is no excuse for driving over 30 mph in neighborhoods zoned for 30 mph. Please take the time to notice the speed limit and drive it. When we as a people decide that our hurry to get somewhere is more important than a chance encounter with a kid or an animal that is someones pet then we have reached a low spot in our humanness.

And if someone is driving slow in front of you rather than impatience maybe take your angry tunnel vision back a notch and maybe think of why. Can we re-learn patience?

I am sad that this kid died and 2 more this month in Austin-we can do better by keeping the bigger goal in mind every time we drive "making sure everyone gets safely where they are going".

Teenage bicyclist killed by a car has been identified | www.mystatesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post

And if someone is driving slow in front of you rather than impatience maybe take your angry tunnel vision back a notch and maybe think of why. Can we re-learn patience?

Agreed! I had some dorko hipster glare at me for a few seconds the other day when I wasn't going "fast enough" in the single lane (he did this after it turned to two lanes). People all over need to remember that in the end you won't save THAT much time by driving impatiently.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Agreed! I had some dorko hipster glare at me for a few seconds the other day when I wasn't going "fast enough" in the single lane (he did this after it turned to two lanes). People all over need to remember that in the end you won't save THAT much time by driving impatiently.
Exactly. I see way too many who somehow have the idea that the speed limit doesn't apply to them, will make numerous excuses about how it's okay for them to drive like a bat out of hell, and will on doubt think that the above would NEVER happen to THEM.

We really need to just take a deep breath and chill. And leave a little earlier if you're worried about being late - it CAN be done, promise!

Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
No one is going to slow down. The traffic problem has crossed the mental "screw everyone else I'm in it for myself" threshold here. Only way speeding will be curbed in residential areas is via speed bumps. Drivers will make increasingly risky and insane maneuvers to get one car ahead. No one will let you in.

Unfortunately I've seen this all before and there is no solution to it.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Society's commitment to society itself ebbs and flows over time, I see a lot of people in a hurry driving thru neighborhoods in Austin. There is no excuse for driving over 30 mph in neighborhoods zoned for 30 mph. Please take the time to notice the speed limit and drive it. When we as a people decide that our hurry to get somewhere is more important than a chance encounter with a kid or an animal that is someones pet then we have reached a low spot in our humanness.

I am sad that this kid died and 2 more this month in Austin-we can do better by keeping the bigger goal in mind every time we drive "making sure everyone gets safely where they are going".

The info I thought I read that the 14 year old was 1) walking across the street at 10pm 2) was crossing spicewood springs at rustic rock. Not going through a neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The info I thought I read that the 14 year old was 1) walking across the street at 10pm 2) was crossing spicewood springs at rustic rock. Not going through a neighborhood.
People will speed anywhere as if they were the only ones on the road, and they need to cut it out.

Three children in a month. What will it take?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:59 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
People will speed anywhere as if they were the only ones on the road, and they need to cut it out.

As much as I hate speed bumps, I've advocated for them in my development. And I mean the big ones that get your attention. We have few and short streets, so once someone turns into the development the furthest homeowner can be in the garage with the door closed in probably less than two minutes. And not only do they drive way too fast, a whole lot of them have a cell phone in front of them.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Frankly, I think seriously increased speed limit enforcement (up to at least half of what it used to be back before people thought the speed limit shouldn't apply to them, special snowflakes that they are) is needed just to get things back to sanity.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Horrible horrible tragedies. My heart aches for those parents.

In the first accident the driver was not at fault and not cited. The child ran out in the street in front of them and there wasn't anything to they could do. No speeding involved, just a horrible accident.

The second one was where the kid was walking in a crosswalk with the light and was struck by a truck that didn't yield. The driver hit and run but they finally found him and arrested him. Whether or not this was speed related hasn't been mention by the media I've seen, but inattentive driving at the minimum.

At this point I can't find anything that definitively explains what happened with the third one with the young cyclist. The driver did call 911 and stayed. Latest I've seen is they're still investigating and the driver hasn't been cited. I did see mention that they don't think drugs/alcohol were involved. No mention of speed at this point.

Everyone needs to learn a little more patience and become more aware of your environment. Those other people in vehicls, on bikes, walking etc. are someone else's baby, spouse, grandmother, parent, sister, brother, friend and coworker.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post

The second one was where the kid was walking in a crosswalk with the light and was struck by a truck that didn't yield. The driver hit and run but they finally found him and arrested him. Whether or not this was speed related hasn't been mention by the media I've seen, but inattentive driving at the minimum.
I think that that driver has had multiple citations for alcohol related issues, so I suspect that it could be a DWI issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin