Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I think SUVs driven by people on mobile phones are much more dangerous.
Ofcourse they are! they should be shot, but unfortunately there are no laws against what they are doing and they generally kill what gets in their way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM

27 posts, read 97,573 times
I think my goal for the summer will be to convert 3 people to scooter riders .

Sputnik, you should give it a try. You can't beat the gas and smile mileage. I have a Genuine Buddy 125. I get about 95 miles and a thousand smiles per gallon. Who couldn't use more smiles ? Kids, elderly people, heck, even the dogs smile at you when you sail by.

I can't wait to explore more of Austin on two wheels. Hopefully I will be able to add suggestions for great destinations or routes for others to check out.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post
I think my goal for the summer will be to convert 3 people to scooter riders .

Sputnik, you should give it a try. You can't beat the gas and smile mileage. I have a Genuine Buddy 125. I get about 95 miles and a thousand smiles per gallon. Who couldn't use more smiles ? Kids, elderly people, heck, even the dogs smile at you when you sail by.

I can't wait to explore more of Austin on two wheels. Hopefully I will be able to add suggestions for great destinations or routes for others to check out.
The gf and I were talking about this a few days ago. We may give a shot when we get there. I haven't been on a scooter since I was five. She never has.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 82,712 times
Where I originally come from it was illegal to ride anything smaller than a 250cc on the highways. I don't know what is legal to take on the highways in Austin but you might want to find out what the law requires. I would think not being able to ride the highways would be very limiting around here, and just dangerous to have a scooter that couldn't keep up with highway traffic should you need to take that route. I had a Honda Elite 250cc which had plenty of power and speed for any driving situation.

I love seeing so many motorcycles here in Austin. The motorcycle store on Braker and 35 sells the original 1980's models Honda scooters (!), new but built in Mexico. Boy that was a flashback seeing those older 1980's models in the showroom. I don't know anything about Mexican-built Honda scooters though.

Scooters are so much fun, I can't decide if I should get one or a motorcycle. Riding with my friend here who has a Ducati 1098 might be a bit humorous.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Do you need a motorcycle license to operate a scooter? As an ICU nurse, so glad to see you are wearing a helmet in your photo I know that Texas has a "no helmet" law, which irritates the hell out of me! Before making a choice, people should have to watch a video on trauma pt's admitted to an ICU after a wreck in which they were not wearing helmets. I would call it "Informed Decision Making". It's not a pretty site to see someone's brains hanging out of their skull , no matter who is at fault in the accident.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM

155 posts, read 558,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
The gf and I were talking about this a few days ago. We may give a shot when we get there. I haven't been on a scooter since I was five. She never has.
When I first saw the post, I thought it was you posing as someone else for a minute...I just saw "significant other" and "Detroit" and I'm like...what's up with the different user name...lmao

Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM

What I want to know is if a scooter or motorcycle is your only means of transportation....what do you do about groceries???

Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Can no one shed light on this subject. My boyfriend really wants us to have scooters, but I don't see how that would help us in a place we know nothing about. Like I said, my main concern is shopping.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM

20 posts, read 82,712 times
corruption -

I give major props to anyone who can use a scooter as their sole means of getting around. I've been there and done that, in highschool/college. That said...

Cruising Austin on scooters to "sightsee" like they cruise mopeds in the Bahamas will get old fast once you need those scooters for anything else... like commuting to work, shopping, riding in the rain, intense heat, dangerous areas, etc... It's not fun going grocery shopping when you can only bring home a few small bags. Hope you never have to use a laundromat. Prepare to get wet or stranded at very inopportune times. Ever make 2 or 3 trips on a scooter because you didn't have a car? Do you have serious wet/cold weather riding gear? Ever idle in traffic in the boiling hot sun and then be stinky and sweaty all day at work? Like helmet hair or bugs in your teeth... every... single... day? Gets old. Quick.

I'm not saying scooters don't have a place in the modern lifestyle. I grew up riding scooters and motorcycles but now I personally wouldn't own a scooter or motorcycle unless I also had a car.

Instead of getting 2 scooters, get a car and one larger scooter that will easily seat two people. It's much safer cruising one larger scooter than two smaller scooters and it's easier to communicate. And having a car, even a subcompact, as backup will keep you two happy with that scooter that you can save for rides around town when you WANT to ride.

Scooters as your sole means of gettin' around will (I guarantee it) put you off scooters and leave a frustrated bad taste in your mouth about riding. It's the kind of thing couples do as an "experiment" that they end up abandoning as they place "barely used, almost new" for sale ads in the classifieds.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks so much...I hope he read that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin