Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 97,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruption View Post
What I want to know is if a scooter or motorcycle is your only means of transportation....what do you do about groceries???
Well, I have a crate to put on my back rack, I have a front rack, a hook on the interior, a glove box as well as under seat storage and saddle bags. I will post a pic of the full outfit soon. I can easily handle groceries. Of course, I can't buy enough groceries for a month, but its not a giant ordeal to bring home toilet paper, milk, and bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
The gf and I were talking about this a few days ago. We may give a shot when we get there. I haven't been on a scooter since I was five. She never has.
I just visited Urban Moto Shop at 600 S. Lamar and they guys there are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I also went down the street to Vespa Austin, which is on the complete other end of the spectrum aesthetically, but was still a nice scooter shop. I went cruising around yesterday in the neighborhood, and boy, I missed riding so much! The weather, the wind, the air, the kids waving. It felt so refreshing!!

As far as my conversion quota, 1 down, two to go! I really hope to get more people riding, or at least more people aware of motor-driven cycles. I think when people learn about the alternatives out there, it makes them respect the drivers more.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthesun View Post
corruption -
Scooters as your sole means of gettin' around will (I guarantee it) put you off scooters and leave a frustrated bad taste in your mouth about riding. It's the kind of thing couples do as an "experiment" that they end up abandoning as they place "barely used, almost new" for sale ads in the classifieds.
Right now our main source of transportation are our scooters. We have been riding for a year now, and haven't changed our minds about scooters yet. We have gear for rain, full riding gear including helmet, gloves, and boots, we read about safe riding, and are active members of a forum dedicated to our model scooter. We plan our routes according to ease of access, traffic, and speed. We make informed decisions and getting scooters was not a whim. I read posts from people that behindthesun speaks of. It is very important to test drive, consider, and then determine how you plan to use your scooter, if you can afford it, and if its something you can actually use and enjoy. Although I may ride on 620, I will not hop on the freeway, even if it were highway legal in Texas. Drifts from high-speed semi-trucks are not fun even in a car. Plus, even if I were going the speed limit, or speeding for that matter, there are plenty of jackholes who can not STAND the idea of a scooter going faster than them that they drive 85 in a 55 while I'm cruising at 65. Ridiculous.

We do plan on getting a car or truck, but mainly so that we can pack up the scoots and hit the rode whenever we feel the need, not because we feel scooters are inadequate. So, all this being said, think about it, be realistic, and test drive.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 AM

17 posts, read 43,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Do you need a motorcycle license to operate a scooter?
Yes. You must get the "M" endorsement on your Texas driver's license.

You take a written test, then a DPS worker follows you around the block in a friend's car.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
I can name call too! You know what call motorcycle/scooter drivers? organ donors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post
And I'm sure intolerance and self absorbed motorists are behind that data as well. Hopefully good drivers won't be hard to find in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin