Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:05 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Too bad Dale Watson isn't a part of it anymore
Agreed.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
1) What aspects do you find of Austin to be overrated (if any)?

2) Are there any aspects of Austin that you think are underrated or ignored?

3) Do you like the positive media attention Austin receives or do you find it aggravating that so many out-of-towners want to move there?
1. Franklin BBQ. There are lots of other places just as good (Schmidt's, Opie's) and without the long wait.

2. Traffic is much worse than it's reputation and the city is ignoring the problem. It will always get worse.

3. Not an issue.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 AM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
Not trying to pick a fight, but gotta disagree strongly on a couple of things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
1. Franklin BBQ. There are lots of other places just as good (Schmidt's, Opie's) and without the long wait.
There are places that overall can compete with Franklin's if you are rating all of their food. Neither of the places you name is close. And there is no one, anywhere, whose brisket can touch Franklin's. There is a reason it's rated tops by literally everybody who is anybody in the foodie and restaurant scene. Whether that makes it worth the wait/experience is entirely a subjective decision, as we all have different ideas of what is fun and what is worth it.

Quote:
2. Traffic is much worse than it's reputation and the city is ignoring the problem. It will always get worse.
I both agree and disagree. The traffic is actually not anywhere near as bad as it's reputation, because it has a very terrible reputation. Traffic here is many magnitudes better than either Houston or Dallas for example. However, I agree that the city is either ignoring or massively, grossly mismanaging the problem, and that is exacerbating it and causing it to only get worse.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 11,187 times
I may get some hate for saying this, but I sincerely believe Austin is going to become just another DFW "metro-area" in 10-20 years. Lots of corporate cash is pouring in from the east/west coast, and with it many transplants; factors like these will have a definite impact on the city's culture. The surrounding Central Texas has also experienced tremendous growth over the years: RR, CP, PF, and Leander are regarded by many as Austin suburbs, rather than independent municipalities.

I do feel a lot of venues/events are overrated. For instance, I honestly cannot taste the difference between Stubb's/Saltlick/Rudy's. However I'm also a social-recluse, and will always prefer a quiet/empty Panera versus a loud/packed Stubb's on a Friday evening. Nightlife/party culture can be found in every major city, I do not find Austin's particularly unique.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM

We won't be a "DFW Metro Area" until we combine with San Antonio. An ASA (Austin-San Antonio) could rival DFW, and it isn't that out of the question. I have close friends who live in Fort Worth and in-laws in east dallas, and it's over 60 miles between the 2 homes. My place in N. Austin is 85-ish miles from south-central San Antonio. Not that much of a difference.

But we are more than 2 decades from that being a thing. But yes, we are growing, and you are right we will continue to grow. As I said, all cities are growing. Worldwide virtually all cities are either growing or dieing. Those few that don't fall into one of those fall into the third category of "undergoing significant social and infrastructural change".

It's just a function of our life on this planet. And Austin is a great place, so yes we will continue to grow.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
A bigger question for all: Is the whole live music thing overrated, or underrated? I know it's definitely hyped up. Another big thing in ATX is....tacos!! I know Torchy's and others are really popular, and I like them as well, but to me, I enjoy going to taquerias instead of a big-name taco place. I had some good tacos at a couple places in the N Lamar area in which I was the only non-Hispanic. I like places like those.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cento View Post
I may get some hate for saying this, but I sincerely believe Austin is going to become just another DFW "metro-area" in 10-20 years. Lots of corporate cash is pouring in from the east/west coast, and with it many transplants; factors like these will have a definite impact on the city's culture. The surrounding Central Texas has also experienced tremendous growth over the years: RR, CP, PF, and Leander are regarded by many as Austin suburbs, rather than independent municipalities.

I do feel a lot of venues/events are overrated. For instance, I honestly cannot taste the difference between Stubb's/Saltlick/Rudy's. However I'm also a social-recluse, and will always prefer a quiet/empty Panera versus a loud/packed Stubb's on a Friday evening. Nightlife/party culture can be found in every major city, I do not find Austin's particularly unique.
Saltlick's BBQ is entirely different than Rudy's. For instance, Saltlick's potato salad has a very strong mustard component, Rudy's is entirely mayo based. Same for the sauces, Rudy's has a robust spicy flavor, while Saltlick has a tangy mustard flavor that cannot be topped. For the actual meat, Saltlick's chicken is distinctly smoked and it's sausage is entirely different than Rudy's. The rub on the brisket is totally different too.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Saltlick's BBQ is entirely different than Rudy's. For instance, Saltlick's potato salad has a very strong mustard component, Rudy's is entirely mayo based. Same for the sauces, Rudy's has a robust spicy flavor, while Saltlick has a tangy mustard flavor that cannot be topped. For the actual meat, Saltlick's chicken is distinctly smoked and it's sausage is entirely different than Rudy's. The rub on the brisket is totally different too.
Not to mention that none of those 3 places are considered in the top 10 places for BBQ in town and definitely not in the area ...

Old 06-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
A bigger question for all: Is the whole live music thing overrated, or underrated?
No, live music here is legit. A ton of locations, tons of up and coming bands come here, lots of great journeyman stuff too. I know musicians who can play and get giggs anytime in Houston or San Antonio that have a very hard time getting anything in Austin. Add in our great music festivals ... our music scene here is legit.

Quote:
Another big thing in ATX is....tacos!! I know Torchy's and others are really popular, and I like them as well, but to me, I enjoy going to taquerias instead of a big-name taco place. I had some good tacos at a couple places in the N Lamar area in which I was the only non-Hispanic. I like places like those.
The authentic Mexican places are often better than the more well known ones ... but while some types of tacos are ok here, overall the quality of Mexican food in this town is utter sh1te. Of all of the major cities in the state we pretty much have clearly the worst quality of Mexican food (although there are some exceptions/decent places they are the real exception).

Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
It's everywhere. It's human nature, as I discussed above. Cities themselves are always changing. All cities. You are either growing, significantly transforming or you are dieing. So we could be dead/dieing like Detroit. Or we could be growing.

People who can roll with changes and adjust can enjoy life, the process, and still find the things they love about their cities. Other people - I would argue the majority of people - get this longing for a mythical past age that never really existed. It is their golden age. Funny enough it usually coincides with a certain period of their life. They long for those days being lost, moan about the terrible changes, complain about the interlopers moving in ...

Sound familiar? Like a large portion of the threads in this section? Yes, other cities are the same, it's no different there, it's just human nature.
Sorry, but there was nothing "mythical" about how I described Austin in the 70s and 80s; it existed. It's my hometown and it never "died" from lack of overgrowth and overcrowding; in fact, it managed to develop just fine without rampant "growth" for a very long time. It also didn't have an attitude, which is precisely what made it such a cool place to live. Unfortunately, its "coolness" became legend, followed by an inundation of "developers" and transplants, both of whom have turned it into an overcrowded mess-with-an-attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin