Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 640 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am in charge of booking a restaurant for dinner in downtown Austin for a conference in late October. I have searched around google and yelp but was looking for suggestions:

- Group is about 20-30 people
- Looking to sit at a large table, not have to split up into multiple tables
- Dress is business casual, trying to stay away from messy dishes (BBQ)

The hotel we are booking is near E 6th street/convention center area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Vince Young Steakhouse is different from the herd: (Or so I've heard)
About a block from the Convention Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ORcqYYEGk

Old 06-21-2016, 11:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Manuels, upstairs room at La Condesa - I think Malverde (their upstairs room is great - and one long table), Moonshine, Max Wine Dive, Second on Congress (but I think the private space is half outside), III Forks, Trulucks

Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM

122 posts, read 95,220 times
I don't know when in October you are planning your event but don't forget about the F1 race on the 23rd. I would imagine that hotels etc will get booked up for that event.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Carmelo's has several rooms that can accommodate your group. Carmelo's Italian Restaurant | Best Italian Food in Austin, TX

Old 06-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Vince Young Steakhouse is different from the herd: (Or so I've heard)
About a block from the Convention Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ORcqYYEGk
A steakhouse is never a great idea for a group function. There are many people who don't eat meat.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
A steakhouse is never a great idea for a group function. There are many people who don't eat meat.
I have a feeling VY could come up with a non-meat menu. Surely it doesn't take a large group to have some folks who are vegetarian or vegan...this IS Austin, after all. And how many folks would come to Austin expecting to eat Italian? Every week, C-D gets someone bashing Italian food in Austin, saying it's horrible.

ETA: Eight non-beef menu items on the standard menu...mostly fish but pork and lamb, also. Veggie items might take some notice; but I seriously doubt there would be a problem satisfying 2-3 non-meat eaters in a group. IF it's a group of 30 vegans, yep, there could be a conflict.

Hey!!! Where'd y'all eat when you were in Austin???? Eye-talian??? You went to Austin for Eye-talian???

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 06-22-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I have a feeling VY could come up with a non-meat menu. Surely it doesn't take a large group to have some folks who are vegetarian or vegan...this IS Austin, after all. And how many folks would come to Austin expecting to eat Italian? Every week, C-D gets someone bashing Italian food in Austin, saying it's horrible.

ETA: Eight non-beef menu items on the standard menu...mostly fish but pork and lamb, also. Veggie items might take some notice; but I seriously doubt there would be a problem satisfying 2-3 non-meat eaters in a group. IF it's a group of 30 vegans, yep, there could be a conflict.

Hey!!! Where'd y'all eat when you were in Austin???? Eye-talian??? You went to Austin for Eye-talian???
The OP said nothing about wanting some kind of quintessential Austin dining experience.

Meat means dead flesh. That would include fish, pork, lamb etc. Many many many people don't eat dead animals and in many cases it's for religious reasons. In 2016 it's insulting and insensitive to schedule a group business dinner at a restaurant that caters only to carnivores. I don't think people who eat dead flesh realize how literally heave-inducing the smell of a restaurant like that is. Sides are afterthoughts in a meat-based restaurant like that. Expecting someone to eat a plain baked potato and stalk of plain overcooked broccoli in a restaurant is ridiculous.

Is Carmelo's the best Italian in the world? Absolutely not. But it's not horrible and somehow managed to thrive in downtown Austin -- even way before it was a trendy spot or convention area -- for 35 years. It has ambiance. It has a broad menu of items that will appeal to a spectrum of likes and dietary restrictions. It has the private rooms for groups this size. It would not be my first choice to dine in Austin, but it checks off a lot of boxes for group dining.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 06-24-2016, 02:44 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
I'm not crazy about meals at one giant table. Everyone is shouting over everyone else and you can only really talk to the people to your left and right (and possibly one or two across if it's a long, rectangular table; zero if it's a round table).

Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 PM

18 posts, read 13,426 times
Look at the menu at Max's Wine Dive. I frequent this restaurant weekly. They have a much broader variety of proteins and vegetables. It's at 2nd Street and San Jacinto. Parking requires a valet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: