Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times

Advertisements

I am a Tech 3 for a small company, and just browsing the interwebs and notice that a few of our competitors are posting Tech 2 openings for a cheap wage. Look on CL and see 12.50 a hour for a Tech 2. Is this common and I just got lucky enough to get what I get now? BTW $22.75 hour. Big gap between that. I live here in austin, so just wondering if the market here is that saturated with Techs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
I work in the IT field as a DBA; can you elaborate as to what you mean by a "Tech"? Can you give me a job description? I will be able to tell you what the going market rate is at the moment in this metro region for that job description.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I work in the IT field as a DBA; can you elaborate as to what you mean by a "Tech"? Can you give me a job description? I will be able to tell you what the going market rate is at the moment in this metro region for that job description.
this is a cut and paste for the low wage

Job Duties

- Microsoft Server 2000, 2003, 2008, 2011SBS configuration and maintenance
- DHCP, DNS, and Routing and Remote Access configuration
- Ability to setup routers, VPNs, WAPs, and other network hardware
- Microsoft Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010 implementation, configuration and maintenance
- Firewall configuration and installation (Sonicwall, Netgear, etc.)
- Server configurations (RAID, OS installation, etc. implementation and migration), rebuilds, troubleshooting and repair
- Network design, implementation and management
- Software installation and configuration
- ISP cutovers
- PC, workstation and laptop troubleshooting and repair
- Remote and onsite support
- Group policy management
- Project management -- must be able to do a complete network analysis, compile a scope of work and then implement all necessary changes while managing the project through completion
- Configure, monitor and maintain client backups
- Monitoring of corporate antivirus systems including Symantec and Trend Micro
Site to site VPN configuration
- Ability to work nights and weekends for special projects (very limited occasion)
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment while multitasking
and documenting all activities in writing to our database
- Great customer service skills

Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
$20-$25 per hour is about right for Helpdesk, plus insurance and other benefits.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
Sorry for my delayed response.

This actually does not sound like a Help Desk role; this sounds like a Server Admin and/or Network Admin role...which is supposed to pay much higher than that.

It seems like they are hoping to get someone who is willing to work for far cheaper than the average going rate for a server admin...I just checked salary dot com for what the going rate for a server admin is in the Austin metro, and I come up with $71,412 per year.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Look on CL and see 12.50 a hour for a Tech 2.
The key word here is "CL" or Craigslist. That site isn't a real career/job site. The skills advertised typically pay $50k to $70k in the Austin area. It could pay more with additional experience. Check indeed.com or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: