Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 20,666 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to the forum here!

I am looking into building a shed on my property, and am having difficulty finding the building requirements for it.

I found information on the setbacks for my property, but I can't seem to find the following info:

1. How far from my house must I build the shed?
2. Can the storage shed share a wall with my house? If so, is it considered an addon at this point and subject to all the permits that something like an adding a new bedroom would require? I wouldn't be running electric or plumbing there.
3. Would I require any permits for it otherwise? I plan on putting in a concrete foundation and making it about 100-150 sq feet.

Thanks! And if there are any relevant property code documents I should read, please link me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
Check your own HOA agreement and deed restrictions if you have any, lots of HOA's have requirements about it being the same color and materials as the house. I don't think there are any restrictions on far from your house it has to be, just the normal setback rules from your property line. I also think under 100sq ft and no utilities means no permit, but I don't have any links to ordinances to back that up handy.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Thanks! And luckily I have no HOA!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I also think under 100sq ft and no utilities means no permit, but I don't have any links to ordinances to back that up handy.
I'm pretty sure a concrete foundation (if you actually mean pouring concrete, and not just putting it on concrete blocks) requires a permit.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'm pretty sure a concrete foundation (if you actually mean pouring concrete, and not just putting it on concrete blocks) requires a permit.
Thanks Novacek! Yeah, I'd prefer to pour a slab foundation, but if that requires a permit I may do otherwise.

Is it just that any "permanent" structure requires a permit? Would a pier and beam type foundation also fall under that restriction?

Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
Here's an old thread with some recent updates about the same topic, probably where I got my info from. //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-needed-3.html

I wish the city would collect this information somewhere online in an easy to access and understand fashion. This has to be a very common question. Looks like the old website had a FAQ section, I find the current site to be next to useless.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmelee View Post
Thanks Novacek! Yeah, I'd prefer to pour a slab foundation, but if that requires a permit I may do otherwise.

Is it just that any "permanent" structure requires a permit? Would a pier and beam type foundation also fall under that restriction?
I may be wrong.

I found the actual code I was remembering.

https://www2.municode.com/library/tx...12-243LOAMRECO

25-12-243 - LOCAL AMENDMENTS TO THE RESIDENTIAL CODE.

R105.2 Work exempt from permit. A permit is not required for activities listed in Subsections R105.2.1 or R105.2.2 of this section. Exemption from permit requirements of this Code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this Code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Building:
a.
One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2), does not create a habitable space and contains no plumbing or is located within flood hazard areas provided they are not located within a flood hazard area.
b.
Fences not over 7 feet (1829 mm) high provided it is not located within a flood hazard area.
c.
Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or located within a flood hazard area.
d.
Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1 or located within a flood hazard area.
e.
Sidewalks and driveways that are not located in a right-of-way.
f.
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
g.
Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
h.
Swings and other playground equipment.
i.
Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
j.
Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve a door or located within a flood hazard area provided they are not located within a flood hazard area.
k.
Repairs to gypsum board limited to a maximum of 32 sq. ft. that is not part of a fire-resistance-rated wall, a shear assembly or a tub and shower surround.
l.
Replacement of asphalt roof shingles.

Slightly lower down, there's a section on foundation inspection exemptions:

R109.1.1 Foundation and footing inspection. Inspection of the foundation and footings shall be made after poles or piers are set or trenches or basement areas are excavated and any required forms erected and any required reinforcing steel is in place and supported prior to the placing of concrete. The foundation inspection shall include excavations for thickened slabs intended for the support of bearing walls, partitions, structural supports, or equipment and special requirements for wood foundations. The foundation and footing inspection must be performed by a registered design professional for all permitted structures.

Exception:

An uncovered deck built independent of another structure not more than 4 feet from the top of the decking measured vertically to the floor or grade at any point within 36 inches horizontally and less than 200 square feet in floor area and built in accordance to prescriptive methods of this Code.
Repairs to a foundation limited to a maximum of 32 sq. ft. and no damage to reinforcement or beams have occurred.

That refers to decks (and only decks) but now that I'm looking in more detail, that may only cover some decks not covered in that first section. If you put up an accessory structure that's completely exempt from permits, I guess it wouldn't require a foundation inspection either?

Personally, if I was putting one in, I'd put it on concrete blocks. That way, if I screwed up the building setback requirements and someone complained, I could move it. But I _think_ that's not required.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:51 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmelee View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum here!

I am looking into building a shed on my property, and am having difficulty finding the building requirements for it.

I found information on the setbacks for my property, but I can't seem to find the following info:

1. How far from my house must I build the shed?
2. Can the storage shed share a wall with my house? If so, is it considered an addon at this point and subject to all the permits that something like an adding a new bedroom would require? I wouldn't be running electric or plumbing there.
3. Would I require any permits for it otherwise? I plan on putting in a concrete foundation and making it about 100-150 sq feet.

Thanks! And if there are any relevant property code documents I should read, please link me!
1. I can't find the code section but I'm pretty sure in the IRC 2012 (which is adopted with local amendments by COA) talks about "building separation" and if I can recall it was 5 feet I believe(but not 100% sure)
2.If you share a walk it becomes an addition to the main structure and will require a plan review submitted for a building permit. While its considering a part of the main structure at this point it's not as involved as say adding a new bedroom or family room for instance. This changes the "habitable space" of the dwelling and besides the building permit will require a new CO (certificate of occupancy) and of course will change the value and tax rate for the property and improvements.
3. As long as an accessory structure is under 200 sq ft and the slab isn't higher then 2 feet above natural grade (and as you mentioned no trade work (I.e plumbing, mechanical, electrical) you will not need to obtain a permit. Of course insure the accessory structure is not in the setbacks which for the typical SF1-SF-3 in Austin would be 25 feet front, 10 foot rear, and 5 feet from interior sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin