Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times

Advertisements

Or....just leave your vehicle behind...no registration needed at all.

Not to mention the many hundreds of dollars you 'save' by not paying state income tax vs Ohio.

Just wait until you start paying real property tax here in Texas...

Old 06-28-2016, 09:24 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,811,257 times
Or California, where you'll pay hundreds every year.

Your good, solid reason is that you will be driving illegally if you don't pay it, and Texas' DMV fees are on the low side, particularly for populous states with a lot of desirability.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 PM

772 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Or California, where you'll pay hundreds every year.

Your good, solid reason is that you will be driving illegally if you don't pay it, and Texas' DMV fees are on the low side, particularly for populous states with a lot of desirability.
"""this""" registration for us in CA was close to $300 per car every year.. Moving here, I happily paid the $160 or so per car the 1st year and its now like $65 after that.. that is awesome imho!

Old 06-28-2016, 01:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,415,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
No other state has this new resident fee, please tell me if you find this anywhere else. Bc there are no other states that do this. NONE. Again not a good reason to pay a $90 new resident fee. You sir probably have lived here all your life so you don't have to pay for it. So you probably don't care, if you have to pay it or not. That doesn't mean that we just give money over to the gov't and say here just take my money. No that must have a valid reason for it.

If you are looking at a form, no doubt the form is directed at collecting funds or simplicity rather than notifying you of your actual obligation or right under the law.

Other posters are correct that this is actually a use tax. There have been a number of U.S. Supreme Court cases involving use taxes and limiting how states can impose them.

My recollection was that there was a limit of time for which the use tax could be collected (i.e., if you owned the vehicle for a certain period of time before trying to bring it in) but I don't recall the details on that. You might want to search there.

However, the $90 "new resident fee" is really a presumptive use tax. If you have your purchase papers for the vehicle, you can instead pay the difference between the tax you paid in the other state and the tax you would have had to pay in Texas. It's a hassle factor to find that paperwork, determine what value should be used for the vehicle, determine the sales tax difference, and figure whether that is less than $90. Ohio has a 5.75% sales tax on vehicles (it's not clear that you can get credit for county taxes). Texas has a 6.25% sales tax. Difference is 0.5%. $90/0.5% = $18,000. So the car would have to exceed an $18,000 purchase price in order for the $90 to be a better deal. If you weren't the registered owner in the previous state or can't document the purchase details you'll have to pay the $90 as a presumptive use tax in lieu of paying the actual difference in sales taxes.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:54 AM

224 posts, read 293,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
$90 is the sales tax on your vehicle.

"As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax."

TXDMV.GOV - New to Texas

"New Texas residents are subject to a $90 use tax on a vehicle brought into this state that was previously registered to the
new resident in another state or foreign country. This is in lieu of the 6.25 percent use tax imposed on a Texas resident."

http://www.txdmv.gov/component/docma...tle?Itemid=232

So you're actually getting off massively easy. Paying $90 instead of 6.25%.
Thanks for the links and your right about it being a sales tax, I did come across this a little while ago and I thought this had to be a mistake, why charge me twice for the same car? Which is the reason I brought this to this forum. To me it seems like double taxation, and correct me if I am wrong but didn't we go to war about those same ideals? (ie the revolutionary war)

In Ohio I actually paid 6.75% (which I have my original receipt to prove this) which is probably more than the $90 that I have to pay here.

In regards to other posts that I have read, those states don't specifically call it a new resident tax, although the language may be different, you in essence could call it the same thing. However I think this is wrong and the main reason to bring this up, because if you pay tax in one state and can prove that you paid tax for that car, you shouldn't be taxed twice for the same thing.

So basically what is going on is the government is double dipping and no one held the government accountable for this double dipping and the same goes for the other states. Its because people are just letting the government do whatever they want without no say from the public, or minimal say from the public.

3rd I found out at work that this new resident tax is a fairly new thing that Austin has approved, the man I talked to said he moved here about 5 years ago and didn't have to pay this new tax. So thus why did the citizens approve this, maybe bc their not the ones paying so they don't care.

Also I want to say just for the state of Texas we are talking about millions of dollars in revenue, even though $90 isn't that much, when you times that by the number of residents that are moving into the state of Texas that becomes alot of revenue. Just food for thought.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:57 AM

224 posts, read 293,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
If you are looking at a form, no doubt the form is directed at collecting funds or simplicity rather than notifying you of your actual obligation or right under the law.

Other posters are correct that this is actually a use tax. There have been a number of U.S. Supreme Court cases involving use taxes and limiting how states can impose them.

My recollection was that there was a limit of time for which the use tax could be collected (i.e., if you owned the vehicle for a certain period of time before trying to bring it in) but I don't recall the details on that. You might want to search there.

However, the $90 "new resident fee" is really a presumptive use tax. If you have your purchase papers for the vehicle, you can instead pay the difference between the tax you paid in the other state and the tax you would have had to pay in Texas. It's a hassle factor to find that paperwork, determine what value should be used for the vehicle, determine the sales tax difference, and figure whether that is less than $90. Ohio has a 5.75% sales tax on vehicles (it's not clear that you can get credit for county taxes). Texas has a 6.25% sales tax. Difference is 0.5%. $90/0.5% = $18,000. So the car would have to exceed an $18,000 purchase price in order for the $90 to be a better deal. If you weren't the registered owner in the previous state or can't document the purchase details you'll have to pay the $90 as a presumptive use tax in lieu of paying the actual difference in sales taxes.
See that's what I thought and I have the paperwork to show that I paid 6.75% which is far more than the 6.25% that is here in Texas. But when I talked to the rep online he said it didn't matter I still had to pay the $90. But that's not what the wording says when I read what it says online on their own sites.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
See that's what I thought and I have the paperwork to show that I paid 6.75% which is far more than the 6.25% that is here in Texas. But when I talked to the rep online he said it didn't matter I still had to pay the $90. But that's not what the wording says when I read what it says online on their own sites.

You might not be able to get credit for the portion that was county sales tax.
In any event, it is not an "Austin" thing but rather state wide.
You made need to contact the Comptroller's office for assistance.

State agencies, school districts, and counties routinely screw up on taxes in favor of those entities.

Much is unlawful but designed to create a "hassle" factor to make it not worth your while to pursue.
Take for example Austin's red light camera racket - totally unlawful pursuant to state law but Austin designed it to have a sham administrative hearing prior to an actual court date so that one has to take off and deal with administrative bureaucracy for two days. For most of the victims of the unlawful racket the decision becomes pay $75 instead of taking two days off of work - and Austin counts on that.

You should consider contacting the Comptroller's office. A "new resident fee" by itself sounds like an unconstitutional tax. The fact that they call it a "new resident fee" and refuse to give credit for prior sales taxes paid sounds like an unconstitutional state tax. I think you will be able to get a refund if you call and complain to the Comptroller and provide your supporting documents.

There are laws for "over 65" and freezing school taxes based on age and election. There were tax assessor/collectors claiming that citizens had to wait until the year after they made the election or turned 65 in order to get the exemption or freeze. Complaint to the Comptroller fixed it - local tax assessor/collector had to recognize that one was entitled and the tax could be pro-rated the same year as the age change or election.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,169,658 times
I am now going to play the smallest saddest violin.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am now going to play the smallest saddest violin.
For what?
You think it's okay for Austin to run an illegal program to financially bilk people?
You think it's okay for state agencies to charge unlawful taxes as a policy?
You think it's okay for local government to be ripping off senior citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: