Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:59 PM

16 posts, read 10,327 times

Advertisements

Austin-Steve, yes I am in Austin for the F1 BUT we will be in the US for just over 2 weeks and therefore plan to get in as much as we can whilst there. I understand where you are coming from because like you when we are away on holiday we normally just get on a bus and see where it takes us, I never forget doing just that in Greece a few years ago and the bus came to a roundabout (if you can call it that) and in the centre of the roundabout was the local "rest room" which consisted of a hole in the floor and it was built to waist height the rest was open

ScoPro we are in the Main Grandstand and thanks to the help of others on the forum we have just managed to book the parking close by.

Lewis won the UK F1 today Happy lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:09 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
& Andy won on Center Court at Wimby.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I highly recommend this scenic drive through the Texas hill country. See the second link to a map on this page. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...l#comment62911 With stops near Dripping Springs to sample the Texas BBQ, then a nice drive through the hill country. It ends with a section which follows the River Road from Canyon Lake down into Gruene, TX, a very pretty drive. At the southern end of the drive you can explore the small community of Gruene Texas, with its historic and still active Texas dance hall. Have drinks or dinner at the restored Grist Mill restaurant next door. There are also some interesting shops selling Texas souvenirs there on Hunter Road, directly North of Gruene Hall.
I agree with Cptn's recommended tour and the stops.....but would suggest that along with Gruene (which is located in New Braunfels & is his end of the road) that you devote half a day to New Braunfels itself.

The downtown area, the Plaza, the Wurstfest area, Landa Park, Granzin's BBQ (or Huisache Grill) or Oma's for German food.... & Naeglin's the oldest bakery in Texas. End the day a with pleasant stroll along the Comal River (in Landa Park). & if it's summertime, plan on a 2 hour float down the Comal to start the day !!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 AM

Hound 109 thank you for your comments The boat trip sounds good where would you suggest to pick this trip up from and what is parking like there?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottietwo View Post
Hound 109 thank you for your comments The boat trip sounds good where would you suggest to pick this trip up from and what is parking like there?
It's not a "boat trip". It's a float. The best way to cool off on a 100+ degree day.

My favorite Comal float is from the Wurstfest Hall (aka "Landa Falls") to the "last exit". (about 2 hours) Best completed before 2pm (& the crowds).

Last edited by hound 109; 07-25-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 04:46 AM

Hound 109 thanks for this information I can see us watching others enjoying themselves on the river in that case but it still looks good fun and we will take a trip out to this area. We are a little worried about the unrest and incidents in Austin at the moment but I have already said to my family, as I worked in Brixton, which is part of London where we had several riots going on in the past then I am sure I can survive in Austin! But after saying this of course it is always in the back of your minds how has it affected you local people if at all?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
"Unrest in Austin"?

I woke up at 4:30AM and couldn't go back to sleep. Is that the kind of unrest you are referring to?

Quote:

Although our Military bases have diminished a lot we still have a good section of them still open and on a daily basis I get to see jets flying overhead practising especially our infamous Red Arrows.
Our local Air Force base (Bergstrom) was deactivated and closed almost 25 years ago, then it was converted into the city's commercial airport which opened in 1999. The F1 race track (Circuit of the Americas) is located about two miles east of Austin/Bergstrom International.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:07 PM

ScoPro Go back to bed and count sheep my friend

Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
ScoPro Go back to bed and count sheep my friend
Not a baaa...baaa...bad idea!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Holiday all paid for now including the car hire and hotels we are on countdown now I will let you know when to watch the skies for that Big Bird arriving in Austin with a special couple of people on board, we are both so excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin