Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We don't work; we are retired. We may decide a condo with a water view make the most sense because we would live there about 7 months a year. Budget $350 - $500K. We love to hike, love water views, love being an easy distance to the city core.

We are considering LT because proximity to Lake, near a city, not impossibly far from DFW where we own some rental properties we don't want to sell and family lives in DFW area.
Schools are not important, grandkids only visit.
As others have mentioned....if you take out "easy distance to the city core", you have lots of options.

If it was me (in retirement) & I had 350-450K to spend, (& didn't have to worry about a commute or schools), I would be looking at Marble Falls/Horseshoe Bay or Lago Vista for much better bank for buck, lots of views, close to natural areas (& less suburban gridlock than the 620 or Lakeway areas). But both areas are 60-90 min. from downtown....so not an "easy distance"

Also, lots of condos near World of Tennis in Lakeway, not sure if there's a view of the water. I would assume their are other Condos in the Lakeway area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM

42 posts, read 40,180 times
Lago Vista, the market is slower so you can usually get a great deal on a condo or house in the area.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM

326 posts, read 684,807 times
I'm getting kind of tired hearing about how long it takes to get downtown from Lakeway/Lake Travis from users who clearly have never even been to the Lakeway/Bee Cave area - much less tried the actual drive and timed it.

From someone who makes the trip from Lakeway to Downtown daily (like many others), it's 45 min during rush hour - 30 minutes outside of it. There's no "1+ hour" commutes or anything crazy like that.

Lakeway is the best of both worlds - close enough to Downtown to enjoy it, but also far enough away to get away from it. Hope this helps (from an actual Lakeway resident)!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Really? How is that short commute possible when it takes me 45 minutes just to go from Mopac/Steck to downtown during evening rush?

Are there a lot of condos with water views on Lake Travis?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 PM

326 posts, read 684,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Really? How is that short commute possible when it takes me 45 minutes just to go from Mopac/Steck to downtown during evening rush?

Are there a lot of condos with water views on Lake Travis?
Because you don't have to sit in gridlocked traffic on MoPac when coming from Lakeway. All you have to take is 620 to 2244, and that dumps you out right at the Downtown exit on MoPac. I do it every morning - 45 minutes.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Because you don't have to sit in gridlocked traffic on MoPac when coming from Lakeway. All you have to take is 620 to 2244, and that dumps you out right at the Downtown exit on MoPac. I do it every morning - 45 minutes.
When in the morning? The devil is in the details.

To arrive by 8 AM at downtown, google is giving historical traffic data of
"typically 40 min - 1 h 10 min"

Arrive by 7 AM drops that to 35-45.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post

You're taking some extreme liberties with your interpretation. You are not dumped right into downtown from 2244 and Mopac - you are still 5 miles from downtown when you reach Mopac/ 2244 - and you are on the most gridlocked part of Mopac when that happens. And when you reach 5th/Chavez you don't really exit into downtown from Mopac - Downtown is next to I-35. It's another 1-2 miles after exiting before you reach downtown - you have to pass Lamar first along city streets.

Your interpretation of being "right at downtown" is inaccurate, and still needs another 30 minutes added to it.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
You're taking some extreme liberties with your interpretation. You are not dumped right into downtown from 2244 and Mopac - you are still 5 miles from downtown when you reach Mopac/ 2244 - and you are on the most gridlocked part of Mopac when that happens. And when you reach 5th/Chavez you don't really exit into downtown from Mopac - Downtown is next to I-35. It's another 1-2 miles after exiting before you reach downtown - you have to pass Lamar first along city streets.

Your interpretation of being "right at downtown" is inaccurate, and still needs another 30 minutes added to it.
Your interpretation is wrong. 2244 and Mopac is about 1 mile from the Ceasar Chavez exit. Southwest Parkway and Mopac is about 5 miles. Look on the map again...

Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
When in the morning? The devil is in the details.

To arrive by 8 AM at downtown, google is giving historical traffic data of
"typically 40 min - 1 h 10 min"

Arrive by 7 AM drops that to 35-45.
It's still (10:50 AM on a Tuesday) giving an estimate right now of 42 minutes.

Compare that to Steck and Mopac, which right now is estimated at 15 minutes.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Your interpretation is wrong. 2244 and Mopac is about 1 mile from the Ceasar Chavez exit. Southwest Parkway and Mopac is about 5 miles. Look on the map again...

I was thinking 2222 on the northside. It's still 30-50 minutes down Bee Caves road (2222). Basically coming into downtown from the west side is pretty horrid no matter the route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin