Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:45 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times

Advertisements

We are going to be looking for a place to rent or buy in the Lake Travis area. Any tips? Any specific things to desire or avoid? Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We are going to be looking for a place to rent or buy in the Lake Travis area. Any tips? Any specific things to desire or avoid? Thanks in Advance.
Lake Travis is pretty big...you might want to narrow that down a bit.
Lake Travis Map

Old 07-10-2016, 03:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
If you are not already aware of it, Lake Travis is a variable level lake, so the distance to the water can vary a lot. Also the traffic on Hwy 620 is pretty awful, so you may want to spend some time out there driving it during rush hours to see what you are getting into.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:00 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
The OP didn't say he wanted to be "on" the lake. He said he wanted to be in the area. As above, you need to decide what side of the lake that means for you. Lakeway, Bee Cave, & Spicewood are considered the main "Lake Travis area" because this is where the Lake Travis School district is.

However, Lago Vista, Jonestone, and Volente are all areas on the north side of the lake you might consider. Those areas, though they look close on the map, are about an hour away because you have to go all the way around the lake. There is no cutting thru the lake.

Price point will also be a huge determining factor as to where in "Lake Travis area" you can look.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Strange that the OP has over 2500 posts and a high rep, but doesn't offer the following info (at a minimum):

- budget?
- why does he/she want to live in the LT "area".
- where (in the huge LT "area") does he want to live & why?
- are schools a data point?
- where is work? (or will there be a commute?)

Help us help you.

Other than that, the only "tips" i can think of is to follow the speed limit when driving in Lakeway....& that the Vanilla shakes are good at P Terry's, but the hamburgers are overpriced.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Strange that the OP has over 2500 posts and a high rep, but doesn't offer the following info (at a minimum):

- budget?
- why does he/she want to live in the LT "area".
- where (in the huge LT "area") does he want to live & why?
- are schools a data point?
- where is work? (or will there be a commute?)

Help us help you.

Other than that, the only "tips" i can think of is to follow the speed limit when driving in Lakeway....& that the Vanilla shakes are good at P Terry's, but the hamburgers are overpriced.
We don't work; we are retired. We may decide a condo with a water view make the most sense because we would live there about 7 months a year. Budget $350 - $500K. We love to hike, love water views, love being an easy distance to the city core.

We are considering LT because proximity to Lake, near a city, not impossibly far from DFW where we own some rental properties we don't want to sell and family lives in DFW area.
Schools are not important, grandkids only visit.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
"love being an easy distance to the city core" this might be an issue! I wonder if you could find what you are looking for in proximity to Lake Austin or even Lake Ladybird (condo with water views, access to trails) without that hideous drive on 620.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
"love being an easy distance to the city core" this might be an issue! I wonder if you could find what you are looking for in proximity to Lake Austin or even Lake Ladybird (condo with water views, access to trails) without that hideous drive on 620.

Yes, being on the water out at Lake Travis is not "close" to the city core. The area started as a retirement community, and easy access to downtown wasn't even on the radar back then - and that was when there was no traffic. It's now 1+ hours to downtown.

I would weigh priorities - what do you want out of a vacation/retirement home. Downtown Austin has become a destination for the active 65+ crowd. Posh amenities, walkable grocery stores, galleries, venues, movie theatres etc, big tree-shaded sidewalks, Town Lake with it's hike/bike trail, Hill Country views from any where above 5 stories up. Everything is walkable, and if you don't feel like walking there is a never-ending supply of 20-something hipsters that will deliver anything to you on a bike. The area from 4th street on down to the lake is booming with Boomers.

Don't get me wrong - the Lake is nice, but it's not "livable" like other places. You will be dependent on your car, always. You're more likely to get injured in a car wreck on 620/71/2222 than you are getting assaulted downtown. High speed, alcohol and poorly lit highways are abundant in western Travis county.

Last edited by sojourner77; 07-11-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
I just looked at condo prices downtown, and there are a few on Barton Spring road (2/2) in your range, or you have to go all the up to 7th street. I knew that downtown wasn't really affordable anymore, but wow. Maybe the OP should look out near the lake after all.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I just looked at condo prices downtown, and there are a few on Barton Spring road (2/2) in your range, or you have to go all the up to 7th street. I knew that downtown wasn't really affordable anymore, but wow. Maybe the OP should look out near the lake after all.
We presently reside (about half the year) in a condo in Dallas with a good city view on the edge of downtown (near SMU) so do not desire another city view...... I want to see water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin