Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times

Advertisements

We had the option of living in Austin and have no interest. There's not a single neighborhood that appealed to me in the city- I will say though that some of the HOUSES- not the areas around Mesa were nice because they're were some older southern style homes which I like. Other then that I'll take where I live in the suburbs all day everyday. We have everything we need right down the street including entertainment- I have almost no need to go to Austin- besides a few spots to eat and UT there's nothing there I can't do here or close to where I live.

Just because you'd prefer to live in the city- if you can even call living in Austin "city" living because quite honestly it's nothing like living in a real large city.. Austin is almost all suburban to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I live in the suburbs and love it however I would agree that the way they build subdivisions here is awful. Some of them have houses jammed so tight together you could spread your arms across and probably touch both houses. But when they can sell them like hot cakes at McDonald's at 7am then why wouldn't they make the most of the property they bought.... More homes=more money.

I wish they would space them out more and have bigger lots all together but It's not my call. So it goes.
I agree. But some neighborhoods do have acreage lots - if you can afford them

I always laugh at 'burbs like the new Santa Rita Ranch - "Come experience the 'ranch life' out here in the wide open country on Reagan Blvd.". Yeah.....in your 3,000 sf house on a 7,000 sf lot. lol

Old 07-16-2016, 02:50 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm happy that you can afford that. When I say isolated, I mean that you don't see people out and about and most amenities are 10+ minutes away (especially in rush hour traffic). Most Texas suburbs fit that definition in my experience.
People are out & about all the time in moderate weather here in Brushy creek. Walking, jogging, biking. Parks are busy in the evenings & weekends almost year 'round, but we got our hermits too.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 AM

163 posts, read 158,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was so glad to come back to Steiner Ranch and the Hill Country. We may be paving it over but it still looks nicer than that crap and at least our buildings are built in the Hill Country style. I can't stand the 1970's era strip mall crap in the area I drove around. Give me the zoning ordinance that sets places like CVS back from the road and forces them to plant copious amounts of trees, force all businesses to use limestone, etc... It really does make a difference.
Steiner sucks I'm sorry. Have fun driving 20 minutes to get to an HEB and your big nights out at the Anderson Mill Chilis.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
I looked up Steiner Ranch online and came up with some nice pics. Seriously what is wrong with this neighborhood? It looks like a nice upper middle class area near the lakes and has hill country views.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I looked up Steiner Ranch online and came up with some nice pics. Seriously what is wrong with this neighborhood? It looks like a nice upper middle class area near the lakes and has hill country views.
Folks in the suburbs need to justify their decisions by bashing the folks living in the city. Folks in the city need to justify their decisions by deriding those living in the suburbs. Big house people look down on small house people, small house people hating on the wasteful big house people. Older house denizens feel that their poorly constructed house is superior to newer poorly constructed houses. Cars vs bikes vs walkers vs dog walkers. Craft beer vs hand crafted spirits. Weeds vs wildflowers. Mesquite vs hickory. Breakfast tacos pitted agains lunch and dinner tacos.

Austin is tearing itself apart right here on City-Data.

Me.

I'm going for a swim.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Folks in the suburbs need to justify their decisions by bashing the folks living in the city. Folks in the city need to justify their decisions by deriding those living in the suburbs. Big house people look down on small house people, small house people hating on the wasteful big house people. Older house denizens feel that their poorly constructed house is superior to newer poorly constructed houses. Cars vs bikes vs walkers vs dog walkers. Craft beer vs hand crafted spirits. Weeds vs wildflowers. Mesquite vs hickory. Breakfast tacos pitted agains lunch and dinner tacos.

Me.

I'm going for a swim.
Lol! So true!

Old 07-17-2016, 12:47 PM

615 posts, read 780,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post

Me.

I'm going for a swim.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
Steiner sucks I'm sorry. Have fun driving 20 minutes to get to an HEB and your big nights out at the Anderson Mill Chilis.
Nah, Steiner Ranch Steakhouse is a much better atmosphere, lol. Great food, great views (both the landscape and the people), and great drinks.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 56,002 times
My question is this...and we are new to Austin, so maybe a dumb question, but why does the city not mow it's brush/weeds along and in between roads/highways? I am disappointed they don't here and I just wonder why. It's looks so unkempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin