U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,735 posts, read 8,788,370 times
Reputation: 7547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Much of that is due to the cable cars (as shown in the pictures). I'l give SF a pass on the wires just because they have a pretty effective and efficient public transportation system. Austin can't say the same. We have wires for the sake of having wires, not to move people efficiently around the city.

Also, SF is a much older and denser city, so burying cables is a lot more difficult. I routinely see COA streaming more overhead cables across open fields.
Really?






It is difficult & very expensive to bury utility wires almost everywhere in the Austin area because of the limestone bedrock that is just a few inches under the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,406 posts, read 10,055,880 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
The OP has some harsh criticism, and has received some back. He has a point though. Austin needs to look in the mirror every once in a while.
Yes, this was the whole point of my post.

South Austin has done a much better job of looking "funky and artisty" despite having some of the same plain strip mall character to start with. For some reason it just looks more "Austin-y".

N. Lamar, Burnett, etc.. kind of look like awkward teens trying too hard to grow up.

Nothing compares to the western suburbs, aesthetically.

I think for me, if the scenery is ugly, it kind of makes my life more drudgery. Beautiful scenery (which includes nature and architecture) makes me happy.

I literally went from a somewhat sad state looking at N Lamar to a happy state to return to the beautiful Hill Country windy roads. This happens every time I have to go down to that area, which is twice weekly. I think this is something I've been holding back for several months now and had to let it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:23 PM
 
5,754 posts, read 6,970,891 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Really?






It is difficult & very expensive to bury utility wires almost everywhere in the Austin area because of the limestone bedrock that is just a few inches under the surface.
Like I said, SF is a much older and denser city, so I get where they can't bury a ton of cables. Austin also has things out of it's control, which I already said. Doesn't explain why Austin feels the need to string wires across intersections to hang stoplights.

I'm not saying other cities don't have wires too, just that Austin seems to have more than most.

I will go further and say, wires or not SF is a much more aesthetically pleasing city than Austin. I don't even think it's a close call on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,406 posts, read 10,055,880 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
That depends. If there's an art gallery, Central Market or a yoga, studio leasing space in the strip mall, that makes it okay.
That seems to be the narrative. If the businesses in that center appeal to hipsters/millennials then it's given a pass. To me, if it's ugly, it's ugly. Just because you're a yoga studio doesn't mean you can't mow your grass or plant some flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,406 posts, read 10,055,880 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Like I said, SF is a much older and denser city, so I get where they can't bury a ton of cables. Austin also has things out of it's control, which I already said. Doesn't explain why Austin feels the need to string wires across intersections to hang stoplights.

I'm not saying other cities don't have wires too, just that Austin seems to have more than most.

I will go further and say, wires or not SF is a much more aesthetically pleasing city than Austin. I don't even think it's a close call on that.
You are correct that SF is much more visually appealing than Austin but you are missing the reason why.

Telephone wires don't make a place look ugly. SF has a rich history and architecture and that's why it looks nice. Austin doesn't.

There's only so much you can do with a 1970's gas station or a corrugated steel warehouse.

A Victorian rowhouse, well anything you do it's still gonna look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 PM
 
2,602 posts, read 2,270,360 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, this was the whole point of my post.

South Austin has done a much better job of looking "funky and artisty" despite having some of the same plain strip mall character to start with. For some reason it just looks more "Austin-y".

N. Lamar, Burnett, etc.. kind of look like awkward teens trying too hard to grow up.
Which part of South Austin?

S Lamar/S 1st literally right next to downtown? Or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2359...7i13312!8i6656

Burnet doesn't even _start_ until 3 miles out of downtown. It's just historically been more suburban (but is getting better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,406 posts, read 10,055,880 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Which part of South Austin?

S Lamar/S 1st literally right next to downtown? Or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2359...7i13312!8i6656

Burnet doesn't even _start_ until 3 miles out of downtown. It's just historically been more suburban (but is getting better).
Your post looks better than N. Lamar sorry to disappoint you. At least the grass is mowed in this and the asphalt parking lots are recently paved. Can't say that for N. Lamar.

For comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...188216!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:40 PM
 
2,602 posts, read 2,270,360 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Your post looks better than N. Lamar sorry to disappoint you. At least the grass is mowed in this and the asphalt parking lots are recently paved. Can't say that for N. Lamar.

For comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...188216!6m1!1e1
You can't?

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3065...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:41 PM
 
Location: home
1,235 posts, read 1,171,991 times
Reputation: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Which part of South Austin?

S Lamar/S 1st literally right next to downtown? Or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2359...7i13312!8i6656

Burnet doesn't even _start_ until 3 miles out of downtown. It's just historically been more suburban (but is getting better).

That is right next to the Ben White/Mopac interchange - probably the worst looking part of S.Lamar.


That said - your photo shows a Wheatsville Co-op (very Austin-y grovery store), The Park on South Lamar (upscale dining) and part of Pinthouse Pizza (PHP) which is my favorite pizza pub in the city (4.5 on Yelp)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,406 posts, read 10,055,880 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
We were talking north of Koenig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top