Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:04 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
As discussed in other threads, just cutting the weeds and clearing the medians/curbs would go a long way in improving the appearance of many of the roads. Part of 5th Street near MoPac was finally mowed; but they left weeds encroaching into the driving lanes 2 to 3 feet!

We are still much much greener than we were for the first five years we lived here...add completely toasted brown weeds to the scenery and it looked even more dismal from '08 to '11!
Austin doesn't have to do squat and the 150 people just keep coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Every big city has the "cookie cutter neighborhoods" too. But there is something about the ones in Austin and suburbs (and Dallas and Houston for that matter) that are really ugly. I think its simply that they are bigger, and more jammed to the point where you need those ugly privacy fences. A cookie cutter neighborhood where the lot is three times as big looks nicer.
Exactly. Texas suburbs manage to combine the worst of both urban and suburban living. They have all the blandness and isolation of suburbs without any of the privacy, green space, or respite from traffic.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Exactly. Texas suburbs manage to combine the worst of both urban and suburban living. They have all the blandness and isolation of suburbs without any of the privacy, green space, or respite from traffic.
There are many Texas suburbs that are nothing like you described. Frankly speaking, my neighborhood is anything but bland and the subdivision is wooded with mature trees...so there's lot of green, thank God. I say thank God because oak wilt would be particularly devastating to not only our neighborhood but the entire area since there are so many oaks. You'd be hard pressed to consider major Texas suburbs as being "isolated". With all of the encroaching development the only thing "missing" (and even that is debatable) are the jobs.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 AM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
As discussed in other threads, just cutting the weeds and clearing the medians/curbs would go a long way in improving the appearance of many of the roads. Part of 5th Street near MoPac was finally mowed; but they left weeds encroaching into the driving lanes 2 to 3 feet!
The medians are not mowed until early summer so that the wildflowers can reseed for the following year. At least, that's my understanding.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
The medians are not mowed until early summer so that the wildflowers can reseed for the following year. At least, that's my understanding.
That, and to allow ground nesting birds to fledge before cutting.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
I live in the suburbs and love it however I would agree that the way they build subdivisions here is awful. Some of them have houses jammed so tight together you could spread your arms across and probably touch both houses. But when they can sell them like hot cakes at McDonald's at 7am then why wouldn't they make the most of the property they bought.... More homes=more money.

I wish they would space them out more and have bigger lots all together but It's not my call. So it goes.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are many Texas suburbs that are nothing like you described. Frankly speaking, my neighborhood is anything but bland and the subdivision is wooded with mature trees...so there's lot of green, thank God. I say thank God because oak wilt would be particularly devastating to not only our neighborhood but the entire area since there are so many oaks. You'd be hard pressed to consider major Texas suburbs as being "isolated". With all of the encroaching development the only thing "missing" (and even that is debatable) are the jobs.
I'm happy that you can afford that. When I say isolated, I mean that you don't see people out and about and most amenities are 10+ minutes away (especially in rush hour traffic). Most Texas suburbs fit that definition in my experience.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
I'm happy that you can afford that. When I say isolated, I mean that you don't see people out and about and most amenities are 10+ minutes away (especially in rush hour traffic). Most Texas suburbs fit that definition in my experience.
I disagree - there are many similar neighborhoods that are affordable. Older housing stock tends to not be as cookie cutter and has more trees and green space. Unfortunately I can't deny that many suburban areas are being colonized by the "Remington Oaks" 1/8 acre subdivisions but that isn't just specific to Texas. It's like that all over America. Having amenities more than 10 minutes away isn't a big deal at all. In Austin proper there are areas where amenities are more than ten minutes away. Surely you mean 20+ minutes because 10 ain't nuthin'....except to someone from Manhattan or somethin'....

People are probably inside because it's so dang hot. On a fall day I'd bet you see a lot more people.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Yawn...pretty sure there wasn't a wildflower in the bunch...just switchgrass or coastal bermuda or similar. It was never 'pretty' with flowers and sure as heck isn't pretty now.

Having even wildflowers falling from their own weight into the travel lanes is pretty sad.

Notice how I used 'pretty' a lot so it would sound prettier...didn't work.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Really? I don't get these impressions at all. I think of Texas burbs as being bigger versions of the typical burbs you'd find in CA.

I go around the OC and think that the homes are too close together and that in Texas you get more land. The homes in CA seem a bit smaller, closer lots and cost four times as much.

Just how does anything in Texas get to look that much uglier, blander, nastier, tackier, etc to the transplants or detractors on CD. Seriously, everything is just worse? It's always on another level of bad all the time. If it's not weather it's the way we build our homes now. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin