Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

If they work well, why not keep them until it's time to sell?

Or is it that you personally now find the white objectionable?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Couldnt agree more there, for the most part the "stainless" is just fashion, I think buyers are getting more aware that alot of the "stainless" kitchens are just a skin over the same stuff. Is it really worth it to change? The equipment is the same essentially. Unless you go for the real commercial stuff, eg Traulsen, Sub-Zero, Viking, etc etc. the rest is just dress-up.. am I wrong here?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:43 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Didn't really like them from the beginning even, but had "blinders" on when matching the refrigerator. I guess from now on, if one appliance doesn't match, namely the frig, we will get the most reasonably priced "in" color when we build again.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM

Now I know this isn't going to be easy, but one pet peeve of mine came up today. The pet peeve being, if you don't have something in stock, don't say that you do!!

I went to one of the places mentioned in this Thread, but that was only after talking to a salesperson that said, "ya, we have all of what you need." I get there and they actually just have a brand new dishwasher, but no cooktop, vent hood, oven, or microwave in the specific brand I talked about. To top it off, the dishwasher was the kind that has the standard baskets so we aren't interested in that one.

We are still considering using them, but it looks like we just need to go to their south store based on the guy saying oh, we can get all the other stuff up to this store some time this week. Since it is scratch and dent, I really need to see the items first!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,058 times
You should look at this Thomas' Liquid Stainless Steel. They show it on older appliances, but I would think on new appliances it would look even better.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
You should look at this Thomas' Liquid Stainless Steel. They show it on older appliances, but I would think on new appliances it would look even better.
I was home sick one day when I caught the Rachel Ray episode they refer to on their website. They claimed it was so easy to do on t.v., but I wonder what it would look like in 'real life'. It seems like a great idea but I'd order a sample first and try it in a non-visible corner.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 PM

Kind of a status update. We have got a SS Wall Oven now, microwave, and also a cooktop. These were all from Giant Appliances. This is definitely not easy though, because it is sort of a take what we have right now, or don't.

I did get last year's model of 30" wall oven, and it did not have any noticable issues when looking at the visible parts, so we are happy there. We also got a cooktop that is normally about $799 for $500, and the scratch and ding on it is the part of the stainless that is up against the wall. I think most people would have this cooktop as an island cooktop, so that is why it was "scratch and dent."

The first microwave we got though was a totally different story. We got a GE Profile SS 2.1 cu. ft. with just a small scratch on the SS, or so it seemed. When I got it home and proudly showed the wife, the WAF was immediately gone. The front window plastic must have had a sticker that they tried to remove and it was rubbed dull in several places. Also, it was burned under the turntable, and the turntable was from a much smaller microwave because it was only 13" in diameter. Our 1.8 cu. ft. microwave has a 14" for Pete's Sake.

Also, when I did my test of it, the light in the microwave would not turn off unless I uplugged it. Since this will be in wall, that is basically not possible. Also, when heating water, the microwave light would dim about 50% so I was pretty worried it had issues.

Giant does have a 30 day exchange, so I was able to get a different model that had a ding on the back, but the front was perfect.

Now all I need is a dishwasher. I will be buying the vent hood and microwave trim kit new, so we are almost done with our kitchen appliance makeover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin