Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 02:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times

Advertisements

Given the proposed size of this development, I'm surprised A) I haven't even heard of it until I saw a teaser headline on ABJ online...and 2) It's not being discussed at length here on C_D.

Centerra Homes - New Home Austin Texas - Trust us to build your next home.

With over 3500 housing 'units', it's a significant one-off development. Anybody looking 1-3 years down the road for a place in "Goodnight"?...(Good night, that's a weird name for a ranch!). At $130-160/sq ft for an energy efficient new build with decent finishes, it could be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 PM

483 posts, read 532,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Given the proposed size of this development, I'm surprised A) I haven't even heard of it until I saw a teaser headline on ABJ online...and 2) It's not being discussed at length here on C_D.

With over 3500 housing 'units', it's a significant one-off development. Anybody looking 1-3 years down the road for a place in "Goodnight"?...(Good night, that's a weird name for a ranch!). At $130-160/sq ft for an energy efficient new build with decent finishes, it could be interesting.
I get the impression that most C-D Austin forum contributors are located north of the river, maybe that's why there isn't much interest. I'm off Slaughter myself and in some ways this just blends in with all the other rampant construction going on all along Slaughter and all the way down to Kyle. Our local Community Impact paper did a pretty good write up on this and I was happy to read that the the land owning family had waited for the builder / plan that they wanted and had a desire for this to be a walk-able actual community instead of the usual "how many small lot, build to the setbacks, cookie cutter boxes can we put on this piece of land" development that seems to be typical of the close in and infill subdivisions.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Goodnight is a surname of a well-known rancher at the turn of the century by the way. I'm a fan since it's east of 35, which is where Austin needs to grow. It actually uses space well, with green space, pedestrians, mixed incomes, and mixed usage in mind.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM

122 posts, read 95,142 times
I was aware of this but again perhaps because I live in South East Austin? Between the Easton Park build out and the starting of Goodnight Ranch it looks like South East Austin will be hoping in 5-6 years.

Here is a good link if you want to see the site plans:

http://www.matexas.com/properties/sp...ightMF%20N.pdf

I like the fact that there will be back alleys (for the garages I assume). I miss that from my neighborhood in Plano.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:42 PM

172 posts, read 177,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Look up Charles Goodnight (1836-1929).

Old 07-20-2016, 05:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
Look up Charles Goodnight (1836-1929).
Well, it looks like the "nickname" for the place is simply "Goodnight" instead of "Goodnight Ranch".

Here's how the conversation would go:

"It's late...where are you headed?"

"Goodnight"

"Well, good night to you, too! But where are you headed?"

"Goodnight"

Not TOO bad in the evening; but having that conversation at mid-day could be odd.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:28 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Anyone who went to school in Texas would have been exposed to the names of the several Trails used to move drive cattle north to Kansas.....including the Goodnight-Loving Trail.

Also, I believe that Larry McMurtry (very loosely) based his two main characters in Lonesome Dove on Goodnight and Loving.

(note: if any of this is in-accurate, it's because i'm recollecting from 35+ years ago (high school texas history) and haven't googled this for accuracy).

Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
I remembered correctly (from Wiki).

Larry McMurtry's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Lonesome Dove is a fictionalized account of Goodnight and Loving's third cattle drive. Woodrow F. Call represents Goodnight, Augustus McCrae is Oliver Loving. Though the characters have personalities rather different from their real-life counterparts, the novel borrows heavily from actual events, in particular Loving's ambush by Indians and Goodnight's attentive care as Loving died from an arrow-induced infection. Call returns McCrae's body to Texas, just as Goodnight returned Loving for burial in Weatherford. The marker that Call carves for Deets is based on an epitaph Charles Goodnight created for Bose Ikard, an ex-slave that worked alongside Goodnight most of his life.

Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but remembered this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin