Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Cedar Park - near the intersection of W Park St and Parkwest Drive. We noticed that these homes are extremely close to the train tracks. Does anyone live near this area and would be able to give us some insight into how loud this could be at night? Can you hear the rumbling of the train and does it blow its horn close to this intersection? Any other information about this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,059 times
Have you visited those homes? We live in Buttercup Creek and do not hear train horns, but I'm not sure about the train noise there. My in-laws were looking last summer for a place and we looked there. We felt they were nice inside, but the location- close to Bell, so traffic noise was noticeable during rush hour, some backed up to local businesses or looked at billboards, some had power lines on property- was not desirable at all. Plus, they just seemed overpriced for what you got. They ended buying in Crystal Falls, Leander. There is also another development of homes going in on Park- sadly.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 AM

25 posts, read 24,137 times
I'm south of you, and my house is half a mile from the train tracks. I don't hear the train if I am inside.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Hi Acuda - thanks for the response! We have visited the area. Since the light rail runs during the day, I'm guessing the freight trains only run at night so it's a little tricky to be able to stay there to hear the trains go by.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAustin View Post
Hi Acuda - thanks for the response! We have visited the area. Since the light rail runs during the day, I'm guessing the freight trains only run at night so it's a little tricky to be able to stay there to hear the trains go by.
If I'm awake and not too groggy, it seems one freight train runs through Avery Ranch around 0130 each night. Not sure where you could hang out in that Cedar Park neighborhood until that hour...self-serve car wash???

Old 07-25-2016, 06:10 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,250 times
Yeah because Avery ranch is soooooo much closer to all the really cool stuff and has sooooooo much going on at all hours.. Like everywhere else is this entire metro

Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,827 times
CPAustin,

We are building a house in that subdivision and I have lived in Cedar Park/Leander since 1995 always fairly close to the train tracks for some reason. The light rail only runs in the morning from about 6 until 9 and again in the evenings from about 4:30 until 6. The trains don't blow the horn in the city limits unless there is something on the tracks. We never hear the light rail and the freight train normally is late at night and I never hear it unless I'm outside with the dog. I don't hear the traffic on 183 at the new house either and we have been there checking things during rush hour. Our lot is on the side away from 183 so that may be why.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 AM

char78613,

Thanks so much for the response! That is very insightful. Yeah I'm not too worried about the traffic noise on 183 as we've also done the same thing and can't really hear it from inside the subdivision. What do you think about the area? I noticed that while other parts of Cedar Park have developed, especially on 1431, that particular area on Bell is not as developed yet.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAustin View Post
char78613,

Thanks so much for the response! That is very insightful. Yeah I'm not too worried about the traffic noise on 183 as we've also done the same thing and can't really hear it from inside the subdivision. What do you think about the area? I noticed that while other parts of Cedar Park have developed, especially on 1431, that particular area on Bell is not as developed yet.
There is a grand plan for the development of the Bell corridor; but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. It HAS been spruced up a bit...not all that easy given the age of some of the buildings. Get a copy and/or go online to Community Impact Newspaper for plenty of information on the area...also some decent coupons to help you check out the local businesses.

https://communityimpact.com/news/aus...er-cedar-park/

Again, I wouldn't hold my breath:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...ell-boulevard/

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 4,827 times
There is a plan in place for Bell Blvd. The website WHAT IT IS
will show you the plan. This area will eventually be rehabbed. The buildings are some of the first to be built in Cedar Park before there was much attention paid to having a city center. It was a bedroom community to Austin. Now, there isn't any reason to go into Austin to shop. The attraction of this subdivision is the 80' lots and it's close to everything. If you drove all the way down Park to Lakeline, you would see another "infill" subdivision being developed. When we realized that we were going to have to move my Mom in with us we started looking for plans that would suit our needs. We ruled out several subdivisions that are north on Ronald Regan because of the community propane and the MUDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin