Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM

26 posts, read 43,398 times

Advertisements

Simply put, I am massively homesick. I'm originally from Honolulu, Hawaii and I'm looking for some female friends (hopefully from Oahu but other isles are totally fine too - And btw, I'm also a female but I have a long-term significant other) so I'm not looking for anything remotely romantic. It's been several years since I've been back and visited my family on Oahu (it cost about $1200 just to get to Texas one way with a couple of layovers, go figure!), therefore, I can't afford to visit familiy/friends. At least if I could make friends with some island ties, I wouldn't feel as sad/homesick.

I was even thinking of starting some kind of group to get all of us Hawaii people together, and although I'm extremely sociable, I've never really been an event planner/I don't really know where to begin with that. I'd love to somehow be a part of it though if someone wants to start a kama'aina club with me or something. I hope to hear from someone soon. Mahalo Nui Loa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:03 PM

74 posts, read 91,394 times
My brother and I grew up in Village Park, but went to Moanalua, and we both live here in Austin with our families. He even moved here from Oahu because he wanted to live in Austin that bad!
We are super sad that the closest L&L is in San Antonio, but he makes do by driving up to Killeen every once in a while for some local style plate lunches.
My family and I were just in Oahu visiting family there for the first time with our baby! There are tricks to making it cost less. I have a Hawaiian Airlines Miles card and get sales alerts from Hawaiian Airlines about seat sales. We did round trip to Vegas for 3 for less than $400, discounted one way tickets on Virgin America to Oahu for less than $700, and then we had free Hawaiian Airlines tickets back to Vegas on Hawaiian thanks to my miles, so the flights were only $1100, we stayed with family, and we ate local food all the way!
Good luck finding more kama'aina!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:37 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Aloha! I'm actually a first gen mainlander, born & raised in SF, but ethnically Hawaiian, with family from Haiku, Maui. I moved here nine years ago and really miss my favorite foods and quick access to the Islands from the Bay Area. I think flying back to the west coast, then grabbing a Hawaiian or Alaska flight from there is a real money saver. Try Ola Poke and Korea House for a tiny taste of home. My brother sends me linguica from the Bay Area. Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 AM

37 posts, read 52,095 times
Hi! I'd definitely suggest starting a FB group of some sort. My wife's family is from Oahu so we're always looking for people to meet. Her cousin and family actually just moved out to Round Rock so there's a few more. If you build it they will come!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:29 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
I'm not from the islands, but if you guys do decide to get together here locally some time and are thinking about mixing up some poke and/or saimin, I'd surely appreciate an invite. Mahalo.

:-)

Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I love the idea of a May Day celebration in Austin. Some ono grinds and good music with friendly islander faces is just what us homesick Hawaiians need here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin