Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM

24 posts, read 85,288 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what experiences are out there:

I live in a neighborhood that has an Exemplary rated elementary school (Village Elementary) and I also have tons of friends that send their kids to private school, like Grace Academy. We're currently trying to find out what would be the better decision. We could walk the kids to a great public school that's right in our neighborhood or spend a couple thousand a year to take them to a Classical Christian school. I'd much rather invest money into my kid's formative years of schooling then in the later years, but I just want to make sure it's justified especially when the alternative is a great public school system.

Anyone else had this dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
Your tax dollars are paying for that exemplary rated school. Why let it go to waste, and pay twice? I have NO problems with quality public schools - in fact, I would choose a top rated public school over private, any day.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Yeah, and tax rates aren't cheap in Texas!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I have some co-workers that are still revisiting their decision to send their kids to a private school. They did get and EXCELLENT education, but they may have had that at the public schools that they were feeding into. Both their kids are goinging to a public HS (actually, the second starts next year). The one that has been in HS for a year is doing great.

Anyway, I know that doesn't really help, but we are currently planning to send ours to public schools, since we are paying for them and they are very good in our area.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
I agree with the posts. Why pay for private school when you already pay taxes for an exemplary rated public school? I would save the money and use it toward their college education or just save it for retirement. Lord only knows what that is going to cost us in the future.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I agree with the posts. Why pay for private school when you already pay taxes for an exemplary rated public school? I would save the money and use it toward their college education or just save it for retirement. Lord only knows what that is going to cost us in the future.
Many people send their kids to private school for lower teacher-student ratios, more input/accesibility into the school management and - most importantly- a religious/moral component to education. Not for everyone, but to some people...it's everything.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM

I know that there exists the same immorality issues in private schools as in public schools, but I hear they are more proactive and intolerant of misbehavior and distractions to the educational process. This is important to me.

Also, the angle that they take when they teach my kids science and other subjects is also important. I don't want my kids to be spoon fed a curriculum as truth when, in reality, it's just another theory. Or for the basis of their education to be subjective truth and relativism, when I believe that truth is absolute and there is a right and wrong that exists. Sure, I can teach and correct at home, but I would rather the system support my basic fundamental beliefs rather then go against them.

How much is that worth to you as a parent? Or does it all come down to how well the school helps your kid score on the SATs? To me, it's got to be more than that. Because now, at age 31, nobody cares about my SAT scores, but my basic fundamental beliefs still have a profound impact on myself, my family and those around me.

I still have a year to decide between public and private, I doubt this thread will last that long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: