Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,680 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice from any teachers in Central Texas, or hopefully the Austin area. If my spouse were to get just an All Levels Certification in P.E., and no secondary certification, would she ever be able to find a job?

Do P.E. teachers also teach another course during the day? This advice we're seeking would be for elementary or middle school for now, but to understand how it works in high school would be nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 AM

153 posts, read 621,007 times
All PE teachers that I know of teach only PE at the elementary level. Don't know about MS.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
middle schools usually have coaches that teach a sport and then also a class
there are few schools any more that have only PE teachers in middle or hs

in fact most elem schools don't have PE every day but on a rotating schedule with art and music--so fewer PE teachers are needed...

Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 AM

I still think PE teachers are full time in elementary. The kids don't go everyday to PE, but there is a rotation system, so the teacher is still full time. For example, on an "A" day certain kids go to PE, or Art, or Music, and a "B" day they go to what they didn't go to on "A" day and same for "C" day. Some schools may share a teacher w/another campus, but it would still be full time. I think that is rare. In Pflugerville, many PE teachers also have a full time assistant, which I thought was really nice.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,052 times
I do know that Leander ISD ms PE teachers can be full-time coaches and teach only phys ed classes. For example, the girls' ms basketball/volleyball coach at LMS also teaches general phys ed and phys ed for athletes (a select group of girls).

Wiley MS has a full-time dance teacher that directs the dance team and teaches only dance PE classes.

So, its possible to be only a PE teacher.

LISD elementaries definately have full-time PE teachers.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
When classes rotate to PE as part of an elective or activity schedule--there are fewer teachers required to service as many students--same with music or art--when they cut back from every class going every day to a class going every day for 3 weeks or 6 weeks then there is a reduction in the total number of classes taught a day--
means fewer teachers

I am in DFW area and there are almost NO full time PE teachers in middle school--just the way the districts chooseto do teacher alignment--they might have one PE full time in a school but most kids opt out of PE classes to take a sport

Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
When classes rotate to PE as part of an elective or activity schedule--there are fewer teachers required to service as many students--same with music or art--when they cut back from every class going every day to a class going every day for 3 weeks or 6 weeks then there is a reduction in the total number of classes taught a day--
means fewer teachers
Yes, but the reason for the rotation schedule is so the same number of teachers can service more kids, which is the case in most elementary schools. It is usually not in a districts interest to hire part time teachers because 2 part time teachers cost more than 1 full time. If a PE teacher's PE classes are cut, then it is more likely they are replaced with another class, not that the teacher stops working, honoring the contract between the teacher and the district.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM

Keep the info coming! My wife received an informal Deficiency Plan today from Texas State and it looks like only about 15 units and a semester of free teaching, err I mean student teaching . That is some good news finally in this journey.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Keep the info coming! My wife received an informal Deficiency Plan today from Texas State and it looks like only about 15 units and a semester of free teaching, err I mean student teaching . That is some good news finally in this journey.
Are there fewer requirements to be certified in PE as opposed to a generalist?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Are there fewer requirements to be certified in PE as opposed to a generalist?
Apparently, that is why a Secondary Certification will still be part of her future, just not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin