Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
There ARE other ways to north Austin...the commute is not great, but at the right time of day, it is fine. I have noticed on here that if someone posts that their commute is longer than 15 minutes, IT"S THE WORST COMMUTE in the WORLD!!
lol Commutes are a reality, peeps!
Yes, there are other ways north. But if he is going from south 620 to north 620 (620 basically turns into 45) it doesn't make much sense to drive miles out of his way to sit in traffic on another north/south route. That's like suggesting to take I-35 to go from south MoPac to north MoPac. Makes no sense.

Although it's not the worst commute in the world, when it takes you 45 minutes to go 2 miles, finally get through the light, then repeat at every light, it kind of sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
Well, Bee Cave is not fully on 620. His title says 620/71, which is the heart of Bee Cave...so, Bee Cave Road would be a better idea...among ideas.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Well, Bee Cave is not fully on 620. His title says 620/71, which is the heart of Bee Cave...so, Bee Cave Road would be a better idea...among ideas.
Bee Cave Road to what? MoPac? MoPac isn't much better, especially with all the construction. And 71 to Bee Cave Rd isn't exactly a cake walk either.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:13 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Bee Cave Road to what? MoPac? MoPac isn't much better, especially with all the construction. And 71 to Bee Cave Rd isn't exactly a cake walk either.
You don't live here clearly. You can go ahead and take a seat.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
You don't live here clearly. You can go ahead and take a seat.
I do live here and have lived off of 620 for the past 11 years. I make that drive every day. But go ahead and tell him to take Bee Cave Road. It will be a breeze. He'll make it to I-35 and 45 in 30 minutes.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 PM

21 posts, read 21,341 times
Everyone, thanks for the input. I guess traffic is relative to where you are from. I am originally from the DC area, so traffic for 40 mins to 1hr is a cakewalk. I understand that it'll be an issue but like everyone said, focus on location you love first, which is what we are doing and maybe sometime in the next 5-7 years, mopac is cleaned up and maybe 620 gets something passed for some work there. Wishful thinking, sure.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooskreen View Post
Everyone, thanks for the input. I guess traffic is relative to where you are from. I am originally from the DC area, so traffic for 40 mins to 1hr is a cakewalk. I understand that it'll be an issue but like everyone said, focus on location you love first, which is what we are doing and maybe sometime in the next 5-7 years, mopac is cleaned up and maybe 620 gets something passed for some work there. Wishful thinking, sure.
Not sure who said that...most say live near your workplace. I don't know Bee Cave all that well; but there's likely nothing exclusive to that area that would justify "settling" for a 1hr commute in Austin traffic. Maybe I'm spoiled.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:20 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooskreen View Post
I guess traffic is relative to where you are from. I am originally from the DC area, so traffic for 40 mins to 1hr is a cakewalk.

Thank you for bringing your tolerance for (and willingness to create) bad traffic with you, Austin appreciates it.

/sarc

Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
People on this site crack me up. So because you don't think someone should commute than they shouldn't? Who cares what you think if they're willing to make that sacrifice. The city needs to learn how to adjust to a growing population and go back to school for planning for growth because it's pathetic. That's not people who move here's fault. Austins been growing forever.. This isn't new. So everyone should live right next to where they work regardless if it fits THEIR needs, THeIR Wants, THEiR budget etc etc. Give me an F'n break. You wanna live right next to your work? Good for you. Congratulations we are all soooooooooooo thankful for you looking out for us all *SARCAISM.

Live where you enjoy spending your time. Work isn't life. Traffic is what it is- if everyone is so worried about it maybe they should of voted for some public transportation proposals they constantly get squashed by "austinites" who either don't want there precious property taxes to rise a few bucks, or any some vacant land to be "destroyed", or to obstruct their Stunning views.. Etc. Yet these are the same fools complaining about transplants, rising housing costs, and traffic lol.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
People on this site crack me up. So because you don't think someone should commute than they shouldn't? Who cares what you think if they're willing to make that sacrifice. The city needs to learn how to adjust to a growing population and go back to school for planning for growth because it's pathetic. That's not people who move here's fault. Austins been growing forever.. This isn't new. So everyone should live right next to where they work regardless if it fits THEIR needs, THeIR Wants, THEiR budget etc etc. Give me an F'n break. You wanna live right next to your work? Good for you. Congratulations we are all soooooooooooo thankful for you looking out for us all *SARCAISM.

Live where you enjoy spending your time. Work isn't life. Traffic is what it is- if everyone is so worried about it maybe they should of voted for some public transportation proposals they constantly get squashed by "austinites" who either don't want there precious property taxes to rise a few bucks, or any some vacant land to be "destroyed", or to obstruct their Stunning views.. Etc. Yet these are the same fools complaining about transplants, rising housing costs, and traffic lol.
No. It's a free country. He can do what he wants to.

But if someone posts and asks:

- Should I smoke cigarettes or not?
- Should I put in a 7K St. Augustine lawn or not?
- Should I use corporal punishment on my kid once a week or not?
- Should I spend an hour (each way) in my car to drive to work or not?
- Should I dip into my 401K to buy a boat or not?

He (& you) are entitled to say yes to any or all of the above statements. Free country.

And we are entitled to say (at least here on the interwebs) that anyone who does any of these things is kind of stupid. (it's a free country) & we're not "looking out for him", we're stating a fact (or at least our opinion).

(& don't ask me to pay for any train or "hill country parkway" to get you to work quicker...at least not until after they spend a couple of billion to upgrade / widen / put medians in / & right & left turn lanes / overpasses or bypasses on... Anderson Mill rd, 620, 2222, 360 & a half dozen other roads which are getting more crowded each day - oh....& fix / widen 183 from 620 to Mopac & also from I 35 to past the Airport. Because we would be kind of stupid to want to spend OUR money for your commute...instead of spending it on roads that WE use & need fixing/improving.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin