Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
1) Today, no you wouldn't.

Traffic right now, 8:11 AM. There's a very short orange segment of shoal creek as it gets to 45th. Green the rest of the way (Google maps). 18 minutes from shoal creek above 45th to dell.

Typical traffic, Tuesday 7:30 AM. Same.
17 minutes, same trip.

2) In the future, with the grove, the grove doesn't even connect to shoal creek. Anyone from the Grove going north on a reverse commute won't ever get on Shoal Creek.

Come on, this is very simple math again.

45th just east of bull creek has 20k trips per day, today (CAMPO).

1500 dwelling units just isn't enough to turn what is today a free-flowing trip into 10 minute waits at lights. Even if _every single house_ had someone reverse commuting (and not going east, south, etc.)
As someone who has lived and worked and raised a family in Austin and area since 1969 and watched a lot of the roads being built (Mopac was a railroad when I arrived), and who commuted from that general area to just south of 183 back in the day, Shoal Creek is a nice alternate route - we lived west of Mopac and I used it frequently to get to work. YOU might not get on Shoal Creek, but others most certainly would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As someone who has lived and worked and raised a family in Austin and area since 1969 and watched a lot of the roads being built (Mopac was a railroad when I arrived), and who commuted from that general area to just south of 183 back in the day, Shoal Creek is a nice alternate route - we lived west of Mopac and I used it frequently to get to work. YOU might not get on Shoal Creek, but others most certainly would.
Not someone commuting to Dell (which is what we were discussing). Not when 45 _and_ Mopac are completely clear and free flowing.

Read the bloody thread. 10scoachrick was claiming that people, from the grove, going to 45th and Mopac, would be slowed down by people on Shoal Creek.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:

Read the bloody thread. 10scoachrick was claiming that people, from the grove, going to 45th and Mopac, would be slowed down by people on Shoal Creek.
Maybe YOU should read the bloody thread. THIS is what I wrote, cut and pasted:

"With enough people trying to access MoPac from Shoal Creek, one could spend TEN minutes just at the lights BEFORE MoPac"

Do you really believe the free-flowing times driving FROM Shoal Creek Blvd TO MoPac on 45th?...AFTER the Grove is finished?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Maybe YOU should read the bloody thread. THIS is what I wrote, cut and pasted:

"With enough people trying to access MoPac from Shoal Creek, one could spend TEN minutes just at the lights BEFORE MoPac"

Do you really believe the free-flowing times driving FROM Shoal Creek Blvd TO MoPac on 45th?...AFTER the Grove is finished?

1) AGAIN, whether or not the grove is built, the number of people on Shoal Creek getting to mopac won't change.
Because the grove is west of shoal creek

So if there's not "enough people trying to access MoPac from Shoal Creek" now, that won't change.

2) In regards to the intersections WEST of the grove:

Yes, it will remain free-flowing.

A) Because the total number of people at the grove is relatively small, in comparison to the number of people that are already trying to get to Mopac.

Again, 45th has a daily volume of 20k there. Today (actually a couple years ago, CAMPO data)

B) Because of the traffic improvements being made, there's actually a _decrease_ in delay times for most lights.

For instance, Bull Creek at 45th.

Going westward, in the AM.

Today, cars see an average delay of 107 seconds.

If the grove is built, that becomes
64 seconds for westbound turning left
28 seconds for westbound going through or turning right (split because of additional turn lanes)

Old 08-31-2016, 08:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
1) AGAIN, whether or not the grove is built, the number of people on Shoal Creek getting to mopac won't change.
Because the grove is west of shoal creek

So if there's not "enough people trying to access MoPac from Shoal Creek" now, that won't change.

2) In regards to the intersections WEST of the grove:

Yes, it will remain free-flowing.

A) Because the total number of people at the grove is relatively small, in comparison to the number of people that are already trying to get to Mopac.

Again, 45th has a daily volume of 20k there. Today (actually a couple years ago, CAMPO data)

B) Because of the traffic improvements being made, there's actually a _decrease_ in delay times for most lights.

For instance, Bull Creek at 45th.

Going westward, in the AM.

Today, cars see an average delay of 107 seconds.

If the grove is built, that becomes
64 seconds for westbound turning left
28 seconds for westbound going through or turning right (split because of additional turn lanes)
Okay, the grove is west of shoal creek and east of Mopac. Anyone trying to get to Mopac from Shoal Creek will have to go past the grove, and there will be cars from the grove between them and Mopac, correct?

I take it city traffic engineers' concerns are irrelevant, as well. (If this was already posted in this thread, my apologies - there are multiple discussions going on on this topic.)

Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Okay, the grove is west of shoal creek and east of Mopac. Anyone trying to get to Mopac from Shoal Creek will have to go past the grove, and there will be cars from the grove between them and Mopac, correct?
Cars speeding through the improved intersections, so that they are delayed _less_ than they are now.

Quote:
I take it city traffic engineers' concerns are irrelevant, as well. (If this was already posted in this thread, my apologies - there are multiple discussions going on on this topic.)
Not irrelevant, addressed.

And that article lists no concerns with traffic on 45th. Only on Jackson.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM

226 posts, read 198,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
As I just posted on the other thread. Things change. People change jobs. Jobs are relocated. I teach, so I don't have the option of going into work at a different time. We do live in a location that is pretty much centrally located to our jobs. But the commute that took 10 minutes when we moved here, now takes an hour. And I don't think moving my kids to different schools every 3-4 years to stay ahead of traffic is really a good idea.

My mom is another good example. She worked for the same company for 20 years before retiring. During the last 7-8 of those years, the company moved offices 3 times. Her company moved from downtown to south Austin to finally MoPac and 183. Was she supposed to sell her house each time and pick up and move? Find a new job each time, even though she was in her 60's and looking to retire?
I have been with my company 10 years with a solid 10 minute commute in Austin. Then I got married, moved to Pflugerville, and that commute became 1.5 hours each way. Since they would not alter my schedule for me, I quit. There are some things I cannot tolerate, and 13 hours a day away from my home is at the top of that list.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
It will be interesting to revisit this thread and projected improvements to traffic delays near the Grove in the future. I drive it everyday, so will know how that worked out for the neighborhood. I've had to abandon turning left off of Bullcreek to head east on 45th in the mornings. Sitting through the light 4 times was ridiculous. I'm guessing that won't improve with increased traffic coming from the Grove. I usually don't attempt heading west on 45th past Shoalcreek in the afternoons. Changes in that will be interesting as well.

Last edited by capcat; 09-01-2016 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 03:35 AM

785 posts, read 954,224 times
Just work from home.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Just work from home.
Nice setup for some, but not doable for most. Such as teachers, firefighters, police, nurses, retail, etc.

Last edited by capcat; 09-04-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin