Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times

Advertisements

Dude you missed the entire point, good lord. I never once complained about traffic. I don't have to travel to downtown during the morning or evening rush hours. I was merely making a point that people in this city or rather this forum make fun of and make "sarcastic" comments to those who choose to live further out and commute- and don't mind It. So maybe you should try reading the post again instead of assuming I'm conpaning about commutes, which I wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Dude you missed the entire point, good lord. I never once complained about traffic. I don't have to travel to downtown during the morning or evening rush hours. I was merely making a point that people in this city or rather this forum make fun of and make "sarcastic" comments to those who choose to live further out and commute- and don't mind It. So maybe you should try reading the post again instead of assuming I'm conpaning about commutes, which I wasn't.
I see the problem, I should have used the generic "one" instead of "you" in my closing statement. I was not accusing you in particular about the complaining. It should have read:

I do think if one is going to weigh the pros and cons, then decide not to live close to work because of a lifestyle, not an economic, decision then one's complaining about traffic is rather pointless.

I do think it's a fair point that more folks having shorter commutes can't help but alleviate traffic at least in a small way, but that concept really seemed to bug you in your OP.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
It brothers me in the sense that people should live where they want.. Whether it's because it has the house they enjoy, shopping one enjoys, scenery, family, schools.. Whatever it is that makes someone feel happy about an area. I don't think people should be mad about people living where they are happy because it puts another car on the road. Oh well. Get over it. Live close to your job and you won't have to worry about how many cars are in your way to work I guess- or maybe support one of the many proposals that has come up to put some type of public transportation system in place- that a city this size, in this year (2016) for the love of God, and this growth should probably already have in place.

That's what's annoying.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
if everyone is so worried about it maybe they should of voted for some public transportation proposals they constantly get squashed by "austinites" who either don't want there precious property taxes to rise a few bucks, or any some vacant land to be "destroyed", or to obstruct their Stunning views.. Etc. Yet these are the same fools complaining about transplants, rising housing costs, and traffic lol.
If every rail proposal in the history of Austin had been approved we wouldn't have any measurable less traffic for almost all of us.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Friend View Post
"In NYC, tons of people live in the suburbs and commute by commuter train, bus, or heck even boat."

Built on tracks laid down 150 years ago. It's never going to happen here or anywhere else. Hit your knees and pray that Elon Musk gets self-driving cars figured out because that's the only way out of this mess. There are 100s of millions of people on their way to America generally and Austin, specifically. Be prepared to make way for them on the same roads you use today.

And that's going to fix things....how? Maybe a FLYING self-driving car...maybe

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 PM

145 posts, read 173,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Presumably because self-driving cars won't be putting on eye liner while trying to navigate Mopac at 7:45am.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Friend View Post
Presumably because self-driving cars won't be putting on eye liner while trying to navigate Mopac at 7:45am.
Oh, is that why it's stop and go all the way?

One car up in front, stopped, with a free road ahead of them, with everyone behind them honking and not going around them for some reason?

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the load on the roads being over-capacity?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Driverless cars do have the potential to improve traffic. A stream of fully coordinated cars can progress more smoothly without the human induced stop and go. They can also be routed better using mapping and traffic data.

But the most cost effective solution is one that nobody talks about, maybe because it's not "cool". Encouraging companies to subsidize people who work at home would take thousands of cars off the road during rush hour.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Driverless cars do have the potential to improve traffic. A stream of fully coordinated cars can progress more smoothly without the human induced stop and go. They can also be routed better using mapping and traffic data.

But the most cost effective solution is one that nobody talks about, maybe because it's not "cool". Encouraging companies to subsidize people who work at home would take thousands of cars off the road during rush hour.
The mayor himself said that having flexible start and end times for employees, not even working form home, would eliminate 40% of the cars on the road at rush hour. He was on the radio encouraging companies to do this. Of course, he hasn't actually done it for city employees, but he wants everyone else to do it.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Yes, well hold on because afternoon rush traffic is about to get a whole lot worse! Thanks to the state lege, AISD high schools will all be ending at 4:30 this year (instead of 4:10, 4:15) and I know from hard experience that those 15 minutes make a difference, thousands of students, buses, and private vehicles will be hitting the roads closer to the main rush. Not going to be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin