Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times

Advertisements

I am renting a high end apartment in Northwest Austin.

A few weeks ago, a new restaurant opened up in what I thought was a residential area of The Domain. The property says there is no noise after 11pm. However, since this restaurant opened up, I have been woken up EVERY NIGHT at 2 AM due to the restaurants employees screaming, howling, and apparently partying after their shift is up. The restaurant has 150+ beers on tap. The customers aren't even as loud.

What rights does a tenant have if this occurs after they move in and their was never any disclosure? It's bizarre that a restaurant was even permitted to open up just below several dozen apartments. What should I do???

I've already complained to the restaurant to no avail. I recently informed management of the apartments but would like to know what recourse may be available if they are also unable to do anything due to the restaurants refusal.

Last edited by macrotrader; 08-22-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 03:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Well, seems the most sensible first step would be to politely complain to the manager of the restaurant.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
And complain to the apartment management. Both the restaurant and apartment management may not be aware of the problem since it's so new.

As for your rights as a tenant, contact the Austin Tenant's council: Austin Tenants’ Council/Contact

Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM

116 posts, read 362,435 times
I've always found a polite but firm public complaint (like on their Facebook page) has good results.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times
thanks, great idea

Old 08-22-2016, 06:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
But I thought the magical answer to over-crowding, sky-high RE prices and traffic was the all-wonderful mixed use property, especially the retail/restaurant/office first floor with residential units above!!!

You mean it's NOT the panacea we've been told it is??? Who knew???

Sorry for your troubles, OP. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice but are stuck in a difficult situation. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Work with the apartment manager directly, not the restaurant. They will have more leverage especially if your neighbors feel the same way.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
But I thought the magical answer to over-crowding, sky-high RE prices and traffic was the all-wonderful mixed use property, especially the retail/restaurant/office first floor with residential units above!!!

You mean it's NOT the panacea we've been told it is??? Who knew???

Sorry for your troubles, OP. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice but are stuck in a difficult situation. Good luck!
Density is fine.

But if noise is going to bother you, don't move to one of the few late-hours bars in the Domain. Move to one of the thousands of apartments above stuff that closes earlier.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
This is the Brass Tap, I'm assuming?

Unfortunately, in this case I think whoever sold you the apartment sold you a line. The brass tap is open until 2 AM, every day of the week.

https://www.brasstapbeerbar.com/Austin

Expecting "no noise" for the final 3 hours of business doesn't seem realistic. It may/probably isn't staff, but just normal customers. Complaining about noise is like moving next to a club on Red River, and then complaining about noise.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Expecting "no noise" for the final 3 hours of business doesn't seem realistic. It may/probably isn't staff, but just normal customers. Complaining about noise is like moving next to a club on Red River, and then complaining about noise.
OTOH, if a city noise ordinance applies in the area (and if it appears to be violated), than you can request it be enforced. There is no 'out' for a business 'being there first' or you moving in knowing it was there. A club being built in an area slated for (or already containing) residential has to know that it is unrealistic to be allowed to cause excessive noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin