Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It took awhile for it to happen, but the thieves broke into my neighborhood mailboxes Saturday night here in Legend Oaks. They used a prybar to destroy the large mail loading doors on the backs of the boxes. This happened in the N area of my neighborhood in July and it took until recently for the USPS to fix them. Meanwhile the entire neighborhood had to go to the post office to get their mail.

I tried reporting this to Austin Police via 311 and was told:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting the City of Austin. I am definitely sorry to hear that you are experiencing mail theft in your neighborhood. Unfortunately, Austin 311 or Austin Police Department do not address any mail issues. Mail theft is reported exclusively to the United States Postal Service 24 hour Consumer Help line at 1-800-275-8777.
Its only been about 4 weeks since USPS repaired the mailboxes, and this weekend the scum broke into them again. Pried all of the loading doors open.

They are just too darned easy to break into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Its only been about 4 weeks since USPS repaired the mailboxes, and this weekend the scum broke into them again. Pried all of the loading doors open.

They are just too darned easy to break into.
Amazing

I used to think the specter of committing a federal crime would give one something to think about...apparently not.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Amazing

I used to think the specter of committing a federal crime would give one something to think about...apparently not.
So did I. Apparently that threat wore off.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Tip for anyone who's mailbox has been broken into or anyone who has a remote mailbox

Tip for anyone who's mailbox has been broken into or anyone who has a remote mailbox.

It is a real drag to have to go down to the post office or a remote mailbox to pick up your mail and find that there is nothing there but some junk mail.

To avoid this, I have found the free USPS "Informed Delivery" service very useful.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

If you sign up for it they will send you an email every day which includes a graphic image of most of the mail that will be delivered to your mail box in the next day or two. For the most part they appear to leave out junk mail and only show you the first class and more important mail that is on its way. I have found this to be very useful even after our mailboxes were repaired 4 weeks ago. I don't bother to stop and check the gang mail boxes when there is nothing there but junk mail.

This also showed me the bank statement that was soon to be delivered to me prior to the last break in. So when I do get around to picking up my mail at the post office, I will know whether or not that statement was stolen in the last break in.

I hope you find this useful.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:35 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
These incidents are only going to increase as we get closer to the holidays. Lots of people send cash and gift cards as gifts, so thieves are ready to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin