Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The developers and the New Urbanists are trying to make it more crowded.
...while the next-neighborhood over and NIMBYists are trying to make it less crowded. How has that been working out for the last twenty years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM

145 posts, read 173,591 times
Your kids have no right to live in any specific place when there are 100s of millions of people who want to move to your city.

Related:
http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news...ng-market.html

Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM

129 posts, read 160,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Friend View Post
Your kids have no right to live in any specific place when there are 100s of millions of people who want to move to your city.

Related:
"MLA says he can’t afford to live in Vancouver, and neither should you"

Yep -- Vancouver -- Urbanist paradise. This is EXACTLY what is coming people.

Vancouver’s approach to urbanism serves as North American model

Last edited by austinnative69; 08-29-2016 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: link

Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Default What a succesful city is,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
...while the next-neighborhood over and NIMBYists are trying to make it less crowded. How has that been working out for the last twenty years?
Quote:

Related:
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnative69 View Post
"MLA says he can’t afford to live in Vancouver, and neither should you"

Yep -- Vancouver -- Urbanist paradise. This is EXACTLY what is coming people.

Vancouver’s approach to urbanism serves as North American model
It will be more crowded, that's for sure.
And, if by some chance it ISN'T, it will be a damned unpleasant place to live, for whatever reason (the reality of global warming, red-neckery run amock, or who knows what all) so we might as well make it a better, denser city. There are plenty of models for that and there AREN'T any for a still growing, not dense city. Dense is what a city IS.
What I begrudge is all of the money we waste on third-rate planners/reviewers down at Armadillo World Headquarters/city hall.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 AM

145 posts, read 173,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
And, if by some chance it ISN'T, it will be a damned unpleasant place to live, for whatever reason (the reality of global warming, red-neckery run amock, or who knows what all) so we might as well make it a better, denser city. There are plenty of models for that and there AREN'T any for a still growing, not dense city. Dense is what a city IS.
What I begrudge is all of the money we waste on third-rate planners/reviewers down at Armadillo World Headquarters/city hall.
Notes:
- It's "Climate Change" now or "Climate Weirding" not "global warming". Bases must be covered.
- "red-neckery" is a racist term and you should be ashamed to use it.

Thank you for validating what I have been saying. People on the Left (and the corporatist Right) ultimately don't care about the comfort of Americans. As they might say, "the flood is coming, so suck it up and get used to living ass to nose with your neighbor".

By the way, I have to say that I find it amusing that people in Rosedale who likely vote at least 60% of the time for border-deniers are trying to build borders around their own neighborhood - "no more people here because traffic" - yet deny the same to the rest of us.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Quote:
Notes:
- It's "Climate Change" now or "Climate Weirding" not "global warming". Bases must be covered.
- "red-neckery" is a racist term and you should be ashamed to use it.
Not having any trouble with either of those terms myself, bless your heart.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
You do realize that your vision of nirvana is not universally shared, don't you? Heck, your definition of "city" as by nature dense to within an inch of its life is not universally shared. For many people what you think of as "better", i.e., denser, is hell on earth.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
I just want everyone involved to stop squabbling so they can hurry up and start building it out. I will be first in line to check out whatever SFH they build there. I know the prices will be astronomical.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that your vision of nirvana is not universally shared, don't you? Heck, your definition of "city" as by nature dense to within an inch of its life is not universally shared. For many people what you think of as "better", i.e., denser, is hell on earth.
Then don't move to the Grove. You don't have to, I promise.

But don't tell someone else what they can't do with their land.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Then don't move to the Grove. You don't have to, I promise.

But don't tell someone else what they can't do with their land.
In essence, that's exactly what you're doing to the neighbors without being up front and honest about what you're really doing or even realizing how obvious it is. "We want this neighborhood that you're already living in and have invested in to change to fit what we want it to be, and we don't want you to have any say or complain about it or the impact on you and your lives. Then the neighborhood will be different enough to drive you out so that we can do what we want with land that used to be yours."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin