Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM

7,986 posts, read 10,322,434 times

Advertisements

This morning before I left for work, I checked Google Maps to make sure there were no wrecks or anything (I usually try to catch the morning news, but didn't today). According to Google Maps,the drive from my house in Steiner to work on 360 near the bridge was 21 minutes, with traffic. It did indicate traffic backed up on 620 to about Steiner Ranch Blvd. I left my house 30 seconds later. Traffic on 620 was backed up past Steiner Ranch Blvd, past Comanche Trail, past Quinlan Park Road, all the way to Mansfield dam. It took over 30 minutes just to get to 620/2222, and 55 minutes total to get to work. While stuck at the light at Comanche Trail, I checked again, and it was still saying no traffic there and I would reach my destination in 18 minutes.

So my question is, how accurate is Google Maps? I see people here post about traffic by saying, "According to Google maps, the drive is only XX minutes." But if this morning is any indication, Google is way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
I have not found it to be terribly useful except in city-to-city type trips, which it seems to predict fairly well. Around town - not so much. Partly because conditions change constantly, so while you may have left 30 seconds later, the traffic continued to get worse for the next 5 minutes that you were driving in your neighborhood, so that you trip may have already been projecting as longer by that point, etc.

Also, sometimes it makes not sense at all to me - it told me it would take me 35 minutes to get to work last week, and it took me 15-17, I would estimate. Nothing out of the ordinary occurring that I could see, and my 'check time' and actual 'trip time' were smack dab in the middle of rush hour.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have not found it to be terribly useful except in city-to-city type trips, which it seems to predict fairly well. Around town - not so much. Partly because conditions change constantly, so while you may have left 30 seconds later, the traffic continued to get worse for the next 5 minutes that you were driving in your neighborhood, so that you trip may have already been projecting as longer by that point, etc.
I would agree that the additional 5 minutes could make a difference. But when I checked again while actually stuck in the traffic on 620, it was still saying there was no traffic there, and I'd be at my destination in 18 minutes.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:50 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
This morning before I left for work, I checked Google Maps to make sure there were no wrecks or anything (I usually try to catch the morning news, but didn't today). According to Google Maps,the drive from my house in Steiner to work on 360 near the bridge was 21 minutes, with traffic. It did indicate traffic backed up on 620 to about Steiner Ranch Blvd. I left my house 30 seconds later. Traffic on 620 was backed up past Steiner Ranch Blvd, past Comanche Trail, past Quinlan Park Road, all the way to Mansfield dam. It took over 30 minutes just to get to 620/2222, and 55 minutes total to get to work. While stuck at the light at Comanche Trail, I checked again, and it was still saying no traffic there and I would reach my destination in 18 minutes.

So my question is, how accurate is Google Maps? I see people here post about traffic by saying, "According to Google maps, the drive is only XX minutes." But if this morning is any indication, Google is way off.
It's more accurate at predicting the average, I think that's a given.

So what's a normal morning commute time for you?

Old 08-31-2016, 03:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Quote:
I would agree that the additional 5 minutes could make a difference. But when I checked again while actually stuck in the traffic on 620, it was still saying there was no traffic there, and I'd be at my destination in 18 minutes.
According to this description of how it works, it should be pretty accurate. https://www.ncta.com/platform/broadb...racks-traffic/

But they don't say how often it is updated or how much data they must have before the road situation gets updated. In your situation it sounds as if they had not yet accumulated enough data to update the traffic condition. Not enough Android phones on the road that morning?

Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,214,992 times
I would think it depends on what information is available. I use it religiously when crossing las vegas as it is extremely good at maneuvering around problems. Even takes me on some detours I would never have thought of.

Note however the Las Vegas major road systems are very well instrumented. There are flow measuring devices every half mile or less and denser at big interchanges. I think the LA freeway system is similar.

I don't think they can integrate information from the google users which would really make it better but would take a whole lot of data processing including tracking where a lot of people are.

You may find out that apps like Waze work better...more real time feeds.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would think it depends on what information is available. I use it religiously when crossing las vegas as it is extremely good at maneuvering around problems. Even takes me on some detours I would never have thought of.

Note however the Las Vegas major road systems are very well instrumented. There are flow measuring devices every half mile or less and denser at big interchanges. I think the LA freeway system is similar.

I don't think they can integrate information from the google users which would really make it better but would take a whole lot of data processing including tracking where a lot of people are.

You may find out that apps like Waze work better...more real time feeds.
Google maps pulls from the same data as waze, because Google owns Waze.

Edit: went looking for a link, here's an example

http://lifehacker.com/google-maps-ad...ets-1171577008

Old 08-31-2016, 03:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,214,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Google maps pulls from the same data as waze, because Google owns Waze.

Edit: went looking for a link, here's an example

Google Maps Adds Incident Reports from Waze, Waze Gets Better Search
Interesting. I was not aware of the connection.

Still wonder whether either is actually monitoring the speed and position of the user which would be the holy grail for navigation. I beleive the Waze input is specific and initiated by the user.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,777,798 times
Quote:

Well school is back in session and things have gotten considerably worse. In the summer google maps is reliably accurate. This time of year it just isn't as there are too many variables.

Have you tried taking Comanche Trail to 2222 that way? If it's backed up past Comanche Trail then you know you have to take Comanche Trail instead of 620 or it will be 30+ minutes to get to the 2222/620 intersection as you found out.

You'll learn quickly.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well school is back in session and things have gotten considerably worse. In the summer google maps is reliably accurate. This time of year it just isn't as there are too many variables.

Have you tried taking Comanche Trail to 2222 that way? If it's backed up past Comanche Trail then you know you have to take Comanche Trail instead of 620 or it will be 30+ minutes to get to the 2222/620 intersection as you found out.

You'll learn quickly.
Yes, I am aware that traffic gets exponentially worse when school starts. I also teach, and I have to say that my commute this year so far is a solid 20 minutes longer than my commute last school year. Same commute, leaving at the same time.

The Comanche Trail to 2222 "shortcut" isn't really a shortcut anymore. Everyone knows about it (and uses it), so it doesn't cut down my commute time at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin