Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:53 AM

31 posts, read 37,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The primary question that comes to mind - how old are you and what is your 'baseline' for living?

If you are young (i.e. you don't have to be saving for retirement) and single (no one to support), it doesn't have to be a scary proposition. Can you live with a roommate? Can you survive with no cable TV and minimal mobile phone plan? Do you have a car that you can manage to keep running for a while? Can you survive by entertaining yourself at the green belt or playing disc golf instead of playing 'real' golf and going to expensive sporting events? Can you live by buying your own food instead of eating out?

Um, well...I'm well past young, but I do meet your young person criteria. Being poor, I've always had roommates, I've never been able to afford to live alone in any city. I live very frugally. Tell me more about these cable TV and "eating out" things? Just a joke.

Last edited by Jameson999; 09-03-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post

If you want to live in a place where you can have better earning opportunities, I think DFW or Houston would be better bets, but if you want to have fun and live here short-term, it can be done.

I've considered Dallas. I was initially drawn to Austin for its film culture. Austin Film School seemed like a viable option for learned the industry. Dallas doesn't have much of a film culture by comparison and no continuing education classes for film-- except for that Film Connection chain, but that outfit reeks for used car salesman snake juice...and it's well out of my price range anyway.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 09-03-2016, 11:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson999 View Post
I've considered Dallas. I was initially drawn to Austin for its film culture. Austin Film School seemed like a viable option for learned the industry. Dallas doesn't have much of a film culture by comparison and no continuing education classes for film-- except for that Film Connection chain, but that outfit reeks for used car salesman snake juice...and it's well out of my price range anyway.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Okay, please don't move to Austin for the film industry, Texas has cut WAY back on its incentive program for films and TV and much of the production has moved out, Atlanta is very hot right now for production outside of LA/NYC.

There are student films and indie projects, UT's department of Radio, Television, Film, the Austin Film Society, etc but almost everything is volunteer these days, any big production coming through will use professional crews. 10-15 years ago, Austin was a better place for what you are looking for but not now.

If you want to learn the industry, go to LA. Pretty much all stand-alone "learn the film industry" program are snake oil, about as useful as the for-profit culinary schools that put people $30K in debt for kitchen jobs that barely pay $10 an hour!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Okay, please don't move to Austin for the film industry, Texas has cut WAY back on its incentive program for films and TV and much of the production has moved out, Atlanta is very hot right now for production outside of LA/NYC.

There are student films and indie projects, UT's department of Radio, Television, Film, the Austin Film Society, etc but almost everything is volunteer these days, any big production coming through will use professional crews. 10-15 years ago, Austin was a better place for what you are looking for but not now.

If you want to learn the industry, go to LA. Pretty much all stand-alone "learn the film industry" program are snake oil, about as useful as the for-profit culinary schools that put people $30K in debt for kitchen jobs that barely pay $10 an hour!

Thanks for all that. Atlanta seems to be the best option here. I could never afford to live in L.A. Looks like Austin is pretty much out.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:16 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
One of my sons got laid off from his lower level tech job on the 31st, but got another one today. It ain't hard.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
One of my sons got laid off from his lower level tech job on the 31st, but got another one today. It ain't hard.

Did he have zero experience in the field and is he not a college graduate?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
No college or technical degree and about 12 years experience in the blue collar tech assembly field. (Building desktops, laptops, servers, ATM machines, cable installation, and the like). When he started he had zero experience in the tech industry and was an ACC dropout. He got into it via a temp agency then full time with Dell.
He's making a living and is happy with his situation, but that's about it career-wise.

Other folks obviously have a tough time if their field is pretty narrow. And it depends what your goals are.

My oldest son has a BBA in finance from Texas State - he is a senior VP with a major agricultural bank that operates in 5 or 6 states. 25 years there.

My middle son has a 2 year biology diploma from ACC - but 25 years ago he quit school when he decided against going into marine biology at A&M/Galveston. He's been a jack of all trades house renovator ever since - doing quite well with just word of mouth business. He's also loving the Austin hippy lifestyle. lol

All three are homeowners in the Austin area and plan to stay, as they were born here.

Good luck.

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-04-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 03:33 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
No college or technical degree and about 12 years experience in the blue collar tech assembly field. (Building desktops, laptops, servers, ATM machines, cable installation, and the like). When he started he had zero experience in the tech industry and was an ACC dropout. He got into it via a temp agency then full time with Dell.
He's making a living and is happy with his situation, but that's about it career-wise.

Other folks obviously have a tough time if their field is pretty narrow. And it depends what your goals are.

My oldest son has a BBA in finance from Texas State - he is a senior VP with a major agricultural bank that operates in 5 or 6 states. 25 years there.

My middle son has a 2 year biology diploma from ACC - but 25 years ago he quit school when he decided against going into marine biology at A&M/Galveston. He's been a jack of all trades house renovator ever since - doing quite well with just word of mouth business. He's also loving the Austin hippy lifestyle. lol

All three are homeowners in the Austin area and plan to stay, as they were born here.

Good luck.
Yep hard work pays off. A little initiative, and a good attitude goes a long way. I came out here with nothing but a technical degree, and a good attitude and have been working IT for five years with more and more responsibility each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin