Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I have done this before while apartment building living.

The old dude showing up at 2am with a drink in his hand trying to get the youngsters to do shots kinda brings the evening to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Over many years, I've encountered loud parties all night, barking dogs all night, and people who have trashed out properties right in the middle of nice neighborhoods. Not once have any of these people ever stopped what they were doing for good, even with the intervention of several of us in the neighborhood. It doesn't seem to matter what city, either. These kinds of people are all over the place. While not large in numbers in otherwise good neighborhoods, they're a real pain if you happen to live near them.

I've had to call the police many times. That stops it, but only temporarily. I really seems to be the luck of the draw.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Over many years, I've encountered loud parties all night, barking dogs all night, and people who have trashed out properties right in the middle of nice neighborhoods. Not once have any of these people ever stopped what they were doing for good, even with the intervention of several of us in the neighborhood. It doesn't seem to matter what city, either. These kinds of people are all over the place. While not large in numbers in otherwise good neighborhoods, they're a real pain if you happen to live near them.

I've had to call the police many times. That stops it, but only temporarily. I really seems to be the luck of the draw.
This is why I have to live in my own house with a large yard in between neighbors and plenty of trees to absorb the noise.

When I lived in apartments I couldn't stand the noise. Especially the vibrations of the wall when the upstairs neighbor was playing bass too loudly.

Corner lots are best for this, you only get two neighbors instead of four.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 PM

175 posts, read 226,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I hate to tell you this, and reading your experience brought back bad memories, but there really is nothing you can do to make them stop. my experience has been that loud neighbors ignore courteous requests to quiet down. I've found that people who don't care about their neighbors, demonstrated by late night, loud parties in the back yard, aren't the kind of people that listen to reason. It's selfish behavior.

Every time I've encountered this, I've found that these inconsiderate... people... to be rednecks and low lifes. Finally realized that I needed get into a higher dollar neighborhood to avoid these types. So I did, and it worked. But I still get flashbacks of sleepless nights and a hostile relationship with a neighbor.
Sadly, just because people have (some) money doesn't mean they have any manners, or class. Plenty of people in "nice" neighborhoods engaging in such boorish behavior. It only takes one jackass out of 10 or 20...

Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 AM

17 posts, read 47,208 times
What my dad used to do if the neighbors got too loud is he would get his guns out (we lived in the country) and it didn't matter what time in the mourning, he started target practicing (he really wasn't aiming at anything, he would just start shooting it, lol). They seemed to get the hint and quieted down after that. It's amazing how much of a peace maker a gun can be! lol

Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I have done this before while apartment building living.

The old dude showing up at 2am with a drink in his hand wearing shorts with black socks & Birkenstocks trying to get the youngsters to do shots kinda brings the evening to an end.

fify

Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 PM

554 posts, read 745,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post

... I'll "thumbs-up" this one! ... Where we are (stuck) in Sillycon-Valley is a mix of both renters and resident-owned properties. One of my side neighbors is the son of my back-neighbor. He has had everything from a commercial audio system playing from the open front door of his garage, to a live Mexican Conjunto band playing in his back yard.
Many's-the-time when DW & I have gone over there, usually after 11 PM at night, to try to be nice and ask the son to turn-down the 'boom-boom' noise from his thug-rap "music". It was so strong that it vibrated through the walls of our house!
After more than a year of this, usually on weekends, DW began calling the local police, asking what we could do. They told us that we can call them any time this neighbor is so loud that it could be considered "disturbing the peace".
Lately though ... he's been "vewy-vewy-quiet" ... We finally figured-out why: he's growing pot (in large containers) in what's-left of his back yard, right-up near our common fence line! He doesn't want the police coming by for "noise" when he's got a lot more at-stake, back there.
And, we already have a "witness" from a pseudo-government agency (the local water authority) who came by to do a water-use evaluation, and noticed the 'smell', right-off.

Someone mentioned choices, earlier ... We're going with Choice #3, just as soon as we can get enough money saved to afford to sell-out and move ...

Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
In my first apartment I lived next door to an older gentleman who worked on the river walk. He would regularly come home after 3 am and have people come with him and gave ridiculous parties until 6 in the morning. He was at school during the day do I rarely saw him. I wrote a nice note (because I early saw him) explaining I was getting up at 5:30 in the morning to train for a marathon. He was very polite and chilled out. Don't discount neighbor's as being discourteous. There are some good ones out there.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM

226 posts, read 198,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Isn't there supposed to be a noise ordinance down there in Austin? But the OP's situation is a touchy one for sure, even though it seems to be a common occurrence these days.

If the new neighbors resist all the efforts suggested above and are late sleepers, then get your mower out at 7am & fire it up next to their bedroom windows a few times. Maybe they'll take the hint.
I think our noise ordinance is 10pm all over Austin neighborhoods.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 AM

535 posts, read 1,295,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If the new neighbors resist all the efforts suggested above and are late sleepers, then get your mower out at 7am & fire it up next to their bedroom windows a few times. Maybe they'll take the hint.
I like this idea. Nothing is more annoying than someone cranking up their lawn mower or weed eater in the early morning hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: