Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

550 posts, read 497,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I like this idea. Nothing is more annoying than someone cranking up their lawn mower or weed eater in the early morning hours.

I don't.

What if I'm your other neighbor, the quiet one. I don't want you mowing at 7 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
So, I don't want to be "that guy", but I have some late night loud neighbors who recently moved in next door. It's a subdivision with an HOA. Our back yards are fairly close together. We have children and they don't - they seem to enjoy playing horse shoes and drinking at 2AM and screaming loudly each time someone scores. Anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? I'm glad they're having noisy fun - just would prefer it's not at 2AM.

My thought is to talk to them about it first, but in the off chance they aren't receptive, does anyone know what other steps can be taken after we attempt a conversation? Both myself and the neighbor are home owners (this isn't an apartment situation).
Unless you've already talked to them and had a couple of neighborly over the fence chats I think I'd refrain from talking to them yet. Over time, it may come up....and you can bring up how loud they are in a friendly chat...I think they would be more receptive at that point.

For the time being, I'd invest in some loud white noise that you could turn on to drown them out....Perhaps bathroom fans near your bedrooms...Whole house sir conditioning....some sort of white noise you could put in your kids rooms.

Or, you could just call the cops

Old 09-11-2016, 07:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you can beat 'em join 'em.

When the kids are asleep go back with a beer and join in. Act obnoxiously drunk and say you're so glad to have neighbors that like to party.

They'll never do it again...
LOL. That actually might work. Go hang over the fence, and be "that" guy. They'll retreat inside for sure lol

Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
LOL. That actually might work. Go hang over the fence, and be "that" guy. They'll retreat inside for sure lol

I don't think this would work. Number one: you'll be obnoxious and they can now say you are just as guilty of being a jerk as they are. Number two: they actually might take to you and want you over more often...you know, "birds of a feather" kinda thing.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 PM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Actually in the moment, during a particularly noisy outburst for their crew, I did ask them over the fence to please keep it down due to children sleeping. The home owner said she would be quiet. That was a week ago and since then I haven't heard a peep. Now I have another problem: their guests park their cars in front of my house 24/7. Not one car, two cars.. Always on my curb.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:46 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Actually in the moment, during a particularly noisy outburst for their crew, I did ask them over the fence to please keep it down due to children sleeping. The home owner said she would be quiet. That was a week ago and since then I haven't heard a peep. Now I have another problem: their guests park their cars in front of my house 24/7. Not one car, two cars.. Always on my curb.
The parking on your street is open to anybody in most towns.

Don in Austin

Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
It sounds like your neighbors are the listening type. I'd mention it, if it bothers you. Communication is key, and when that fails, call the police and be informed on city ordinances.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:32 AM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The parking on your street is open to anybody in most towns.
This is true. And unless it's taking up a space you would be using in front of your home, I'd pick your battles when it comes to neighbors.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Park your own vehicles there until you can't stand it any more...then, move to your driveway or garage. The street is fair game, so it seems.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
I'm in the pick your battles camp as well, don't stress over the parking thing.

Let's face it there are every stripe of neighbor out there...todays good neighbor could be tomorrows nightmare. Kids turn into teenagers, divorce happens, sickness, job loss...any number of variables that can turn a household upside down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: