Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we should have looked more carefully before bringing our adult son here but we needed to do something as he was not doing well where he was and was far from family. Unfortunately, for the many things this state does well, caring for special needs adults or assisting with care for underprivileged is not one of them.

Our on is 26 years old with cognitive delays and epilepsy, much of which can be attributed to a stroke at birth which also left him partially paralyzed on the right side. He was never expected to walk or talk, but is a pretty high functioning semi-independent young man. His cognitive (and emotional) levels test at about middle school levels for the most part. He can care for himself as far as most daily activities if reminded to do so. Imagine a twelve year old boy in a 26 year old mans body, needing to be reminded to go take a shower because he stinks, or reminded to go get a refill on his meds because he only has two day worth left.

Here's the problem(s): housing options are relatively nonexistent. Group homes are individually managed and can charge a fortune with Section 8 housing assistance unavailable due to a 6 - 8 year waiting list in Travis and Williamson County. Williamson County isn't even taking applications. Local housing authorities have waiting lists years long as well, when available at all. Group situations which we looked into, and he hates, are in the ballpark of $2,500+ per month. Assisted living homes in the greater Austin area are looking for seniors where Medicaid or Medicare will pay.

Working two jobs at minimum wage in fast food service means he loses most of the cash benefit granted through SSI. By carefully managing his hours and his benefits he can actually end up with a total take home of almost $1,200 a month. Unfortunately there isn't an apartment within walking distance (no transit options) that is anywhere near affordable.

Speaking of Medicare, be careful what you get and make sure you know what will be covered. We selected one of the two plans for him based on general practitioner availability. That was fine, until we needed to see the neurologist. After a year of looking for neurologist that would take his coverage, not realizing he had run out of one of his prescriptions because he doesn't want to let us know he needs help, we ended up in the ER with him. Finally a case manager there was able to assist in finding the one (1) neurologist in the greater metro area that takes Medicare - Blue Cross/Blue Shield. One provider in a city this size?

So, due to a lack of available medical care, housing, or transportation we will pack him up and haul him back to where we came from so he can reestablish residency and apply for rent assistance and medical care in a state that isn't quite so overrun/overwhelmed/fiscally conservative with the social welfare system. For anyone looking to come here with special needs kids or adults, please be careful.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Our daughter is 9 years old and we are already on the waiting lists for most of the services thanks to a heads-up from the Special Ed teachers in AISD.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Yes, this is sadly true. And most activists on this issue spend their time fighting off further cuts, never mind advocating for any sort of expansion. I don't think this will help the OP but for anyone else on this thread in the future, including those considering moving to Texas, please contact Texas Parent to Parent.

Texas Parent to Parent - Home

They can give you the straight scoop on what it is like to be a caregiver to someone with special needs in this state and help navigate a deliberately difficult system.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I have no advice for you, but want to say I'm sorry for all the headaches and hoops you are jumping through. Like others have said, services are not just lacking in Austin, but in Texas in general. Be an advocate for your son, reach out to city council, state representatives, federal representatives, everyone who will listen. That's one of the only only ways things will change.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
yeah, parents reaching out to our state reps are a waste. the people ive worked with literally laugh at stories like this.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
I still would rather live in a low service low cost state.

If I wanted my son in a group home I would buy a house and start a group home. You would be getting say, 7500 in revenue a month with 3 others, which would be enough to hire a full time caregiver who can manage the process and pay for the mortgage/taxes/insurance.

Alternately I would buy a house with a large lot and put an addition in and have him live there.

I will be in the same situation as my brother is about the same level. He can drive, do math, can do a job etc. Someday I will be responsible for taking care of him and will do one of the above solutions.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I still would rather live in a low service low cost state.

If I wanted my son in a group home I would buy a house and start a group home. You would be getting say, 7500 in revenue a month with 3 others, which would be enough to hire a full time caregiver who can manage the process and pay for the mortgage/taxes/insurance.

Alternately I would buy a house with a large lot and put an addition in and have him live there.

I will be in the same situation as my brother is about the same level. He can drive, do math, can do a job etc. Someday I will be responsible for taking care of him and will do one of the above solutions.
Good thoughts but let me suggest you do a little more homework. The home will need to be completely handicapped accessible, including bathrooms and outside access as well as all doors on the interior. Then you need to obtain liability insurance for the home as a care facility, which involves obtaining the licensure from the state.

Now you need to find qualified people, with clear backgrounds, to staff your new endeavor 24 hours a day. You see, licensing from the state requires full time staffing on site at all times. Now you need 4 people, not one.

Your ideas are great. The problem is the cost is ridiculously high when you add in the total requirements involved in a group home or full-time care situation. As much as I hate the government involvement in daily lives, this become unmanageable for many families very quickly.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Good thoughts but let me suggest you do a little more homework. The home will need to be completely handicapped accessible, including bathrooms and outside access as well as all doors on the interior. Then you need to obtain liability insurance for the home as a care facility, which involves obtaining the licensure from the state.

Now you need to find qualified people, with clear backgrounds, to staff your new endeavor 24 hours a day. You see, licensing from the state requires full time staffing on site at all times. Now you need 4 people, not one.

Your ideas are great. The problem is the cost is ridiculously high when you add in the total requirements involved in a group home or full-time care situation. As much as I hate the government involvement in daily lives, this become unmanageable for many families very quickly.
Life is hard and you do what you can.

Ultimately most people want a free and easy solution. Im ok with the "free" but difficult solution (start a group home) or the not free but easy solution (pay money out of pocket)

The irony is that it is government regulation that make it hard to start one which limits the availability and raises the cost.

Then because it is expensive or not available, people then request that the government provide the resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: