Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers are used to commuting. He probably doesn't live in Manhattan anyway so wells branch isn't that far fetched. He wants to live cheaply so he needs to focus on transit friendly places. And I hope he realizes that downtown Austin is nothing like Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM

145 posts, read 173,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
New Yorkers are used to commuting. He probably doesn't live in Manhattan anyway so wells branch isn't that far fetched. He wants to live cheaply so he needs to focus on transit friendly places. And I hope he realizes that downtown Austin is nothing like Manhattan.
Just trying to dispel crazy notions about col and qol.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 PM

436 posts, read 570,210 times
Dangerous is relative. I live a few blocks from the most "dangerous neighborhood" in Austin according to some here on this board, Rundberg and I-35. It's dangerous, for Austin. For parts of Detroit it would be a joke. I am a large pale 40 something middle class anglo as hell looking tech worker and I have no problem wandering around the streets of Rundberg at all hours. The only hassle I ever receive is from the homeless looking for change around the gas stations. Twenty years ago it used to be a lot worse and I would not have let my aging mother head to the store for milk after dark, these days its not even a worry. My kid bicycles around the neighborhood on a regular basis after school. He's not stupid enough to leave his bike in the yard unattended for more than a few minutes however.

You are coming from New York-Motherlovin-City, and pay $1k a month in rent. If you find yourself scared of Rundberg or really anywhere around Austin, then you should probably not leave NYC. Personally I think you will be fine as long as you are polite and like good taco's like the rest of us. If the taco truck has a crudely hand drawn pic of a goat on it, ask for some cabrito, you wont be sorry.

Pack extra sunscreen, and make sure you have a car because our transit system is still kinda bad.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Dangerous is relative. I live a few blocks from the most "dangerous neighborhood" in Austin according to some here on this board, Rundberg and I-35. It's dangerous, for Austin. For parts of Detroit it would be a joke. I am a large pale 40 something middle class anglo as hell looking tech worker and I have no problem wandering around the streets of Rundberg at all hours. The only hassle I ever receive is from the homeless looking for change around the gas stations. Twenty years ago it used to be a lot worse and I would not have let my aging mother head to the store for milk after dark, these days its not even a worry. My kid bicycles around the neighborhood on a regular basis after school. He's not stupid enough to leave his bike in the yard unattended for more than a few minutes however.

You are coming from New York-Motherlovin-City, and pay $1k a month in rent. If you find yourself scared of Rundberg or really anywhere around Austin, then you should probably not leave NYC. Personally I think you will be fine as long as you are polite and like good taco's like the rest of us. If the taco truck has a crudely hand drawn pic of a goat on it, ask for some cabrito, you wont be sorry.

Pack extra sunscreen, and make sure you have a car because our transit system is still kinda bad.

Ha! yes I lived in south St. Louis (city) and South Chicago before moving to Austin and have never had any trouble in even the "worst" neighborhoods in Austin (12th and Chicon back in the day, Riverside and Pleasant Valley, East Manor Road --unbelievably gentrified now -- as well as Rundberg and Lamar). I did once have someone make a veiled threat towards me when I was in Dove Springs (delivering Meals on Wheels) but it was the kind of threatening comment I had heard daily in other cities.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,494 times
Quote:
It's not a super cheap version of "Brooklyn" like all the glossy brochures say. That was 25+ years ago.
Have you been to Brooklyn lately?

It's still super cheap compared to Brooklyn....

Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM

145 posts, read 173,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Have you been to Brooklyn lately?

It's still super cheap compared to Brooklyn....
Yeah, that's why I chose the words "super cheap version of".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: