Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:48 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetTyrant View Post
Awesome info. Thank you! We're hoping to be as close to the lake as possible. I'm nervous about the heat and humidity but totally looking forward to the season changes and cool weather!
Lakeway sounds like it may be a good fit for you. But just to clarify, we don't really have any season changes or very cool weather. The heat index today was 99. The first day of fall is next week, and it's supposed to be even hotter. We may get a cold week or two in the winter, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:24 AM

20 posts, read 30,069 times
Ah good to know. What's the average temp during winter months?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetTyrant View Post
Ah good to know. What's the average temp during winter months?

Climate in Austin City, Texas

But the averages only tell you so much, our weather can be highly variable!

Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I know this conflicts with all the love you've been getting for Lakeway, but I will tell you my experience of Lakeway in the 9 months that we lived there. It was insular, snobby, unfriendly, oppressive. No one out in the neighborhoods walking and socializing. No "Texas friendly." The police were everywhere, waiting to nab anyone going a mile over the speed limit. The drive out of Lakeway to 620 took forever (a long drive, just to get to a drugstore.) Hwy 620 was awful and I couldn't wait to get to a place where I didn't have to face it every day. We moved; we found a friendly, walkable, relaxed neighborhood. I imagine there are nice areas to live there, but check out the neighborhood very carefully before buying. (We were in the World of Tennis area.) It's been 5 years since we moved. Maybe its different now, but just putting in my viewpoint.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 30,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I know this conflicts with all the love you've been getting for Lakeway, but I will tell you my experience of Lakeway in the 9 months that we lived there. It was insular, snobby, unfriendly, oppressive. No one out in the neighborhoods walking and socializing. No "Texas friendly." The police were everywhere, waiting to nab anyone going a mile over the speed limit. The drive out of Lakeway to 620 took forever (a long drive, just to get to a drugstore.) Hwy 620 was awful and I couldn't wait to get to a place where I didn't have to face it every day. We moved; we found a friendly, walkable, relaxed neighborhood. I imagine there are nice areas to live there, but check out the neighborhood very carefully before buying. (We were in the World of Tennis area.) It's been 5 years since we moved. Maybe its different now, but just putting in my viewpoint.
Wow! Thank you! This is the kind of info I've been looking for. We're originally from the Midwest and I'm looking to get back to the suburban life instead of the beach community. We definitely want kids playing in the neighborhood, people out and about and a sense of community. This helps so much. Thank you!

Old 09-17-2016, 07:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
for older communities you can look at the year the houses were built. houses in the 50s have already turned over and families with children are moving in. 60s-70s are in the process of turning over so will be somewhat split.

80s-90s will have older children or empty nesters so maybe less young children. 2000-2010 will have a lot of children.

Up north/northwest it roughly corresponds to

50s-60s - allandale, rosedale, crestview
60s-70s northwest hills
80-90s great hills,jester
00-10s riverplace, steiner, small parts of great hills.

Kids are everywhere in northwest hills and my area of great hills (along yaupon).

Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM

307 posts, read 721,640 times
traffic on 620 blows. I feel like ~5 years ago it was more of a retirement area, but that might be changing. Great schools. more restaurant choices opening up, and now with HEB it can be considered a real Texas city.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Lakeway, as far as I know, has been gradually changing from a retirement community to more of a family area for many years. So if the process has continued, then yes, it is continuing to evolve away from being a retirement community. This is all the more reason to check out individual neighborhoods before buying. As for the HEB, I'm sure it is great, but there has been a Randall's almost across the street from it for a long time. So it is not as if you had to drive a long way for groceries, you just had to drive a long way to get to an HEB. So now there is one there. The new medical Center (maybe 6 years old) is an addition to the services. But these things and the proliferation of housing developments has made 620 even worse, and I don't know of any plans to fix that.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:37 AM

69 posts, read 103,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post

Those things are definitely there, but not really the day to day experience for us.

Lots of Texas Friendly (but not always), 620 has traffic (but nothing like NYC, always moving), We talk to neighbors quite a bit, but not as much as I thought, very friendly, and I've an accent from abroad, and found people to be the opposite of insular.

Those things are definitely there, as I say, and I'm concerned it may be trending that way long term, but in the main, still a super friendly place for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin