Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 PM

32 posts, read 84,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
What are you looking to spend?

Are you looking for more Conservative (bubba), Moderate, or Progressive area?

Is shopping or diversity important?

Where will you be working?

Lots of areas to choose from...i would identify elementary schools that interest you, figure out (answer) the answers to above, & then you can narrow it down & folks can offer laser accurate opinions.

Some Leander schools are great....some not so good. Some areas are bubba....some more progressive. Some are lilly white, some are more diverse (Asian, Latin etc.) Some people's idea of "shopping" is Walmart & Home Depot....some folks wouldn't.

Good luck.
We are looking to spend $250,000 and inder. We are looking for a more conservative area, and I am not sure actually where my husband will be working. probably ROund Rock or Austin. My husband is Hispanic, but diversity isn't really a big deal. We actually really haven't thought much about that. Shopping is usually like a WalMarket Home Depot deal. We just get what we need and get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,996 times
HI.

North Austin is okay, but I travel from North West Hills to 620 every day and the traffic southbound is always very bad. Thats on 183 not I35 of course!

Although it is more expensive, I think that NW / W Austin is a pretty good location to access pretty much anywhere, and if your coming from San Diego, you're gonna have plenty of money anyways..

I was gonna make a comment about Californians moving here, but my wife told me to button it shut.. She told me to tell you that you're all welcome ;-)

Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye022984 View Post
We are looking to spend $250,000 and inder. We are looking for a more conservative area, and I am not sure actually where my husband will be working. probably ROund Rock or Austin. My husband is Hispanic, but diversity isn't really a big deal. We actually really haven't thought much about that. Shopping is usually like a WalMarket Home Depot deal. We just get what we need and get out.
Cedar Park & Leander (& maybe Georgetown & Round Rock) would probably work well. Anything closer to town & it would be:

- probably more expensive.
- not as good schools (imo).
- more progressive & less conservative.

There are dozens of nice subdivisions along 620 & along 1420 (between 183 & I 35) that might work well. But i would find out where Hubby is going to work.

If working on the southside, SW Austin (Circle C) & Dripping Springs might work too. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 AM

32 posts, read 84,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neojynx View Post
HI.

North Austin is okay, but I travel from North West Hills to 620 every day and the traffic southbound is always very bad. Thats on 183 not I35 of course!

Although it is more expensive, I think that NW / W Austin is a pretty good location to access pretty much anywhere, and if your coming from San Diego, you're gonna have plenty of money anyways..

I was gonna make a comment about Californians moving here, but my wife told me to button it shut.. She told me to tell you that you're all welcome ;-)
Gee thanks a lot! We're moving from California because we're sick of the Californians. We don't feel like we fit in here at all!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
RND

56 posts, read 268,313 times
Hmmm, well we moved here from San Diego because it reminded us so much of SD (obviously without the beach and the sticker price). We really like Round Rock. When we cam out on our house finding mission, we also visited grocery stores, malls, parks, etc. Then I made a list of the places that I frequent and would like to have close by (Target, Home Depot, Grocery, Starbucks, Costco) and made sure they were close enough to the places we considered. I spent A LOT of time observing people at the grocery stores near each subdivision we considered. That observation actually played a large role in our final decision.

Also, before we came out, I mapped out all of the top-rated schools and then chose subdivisions within those boundaries which were also in our price range. That way we didn't waste any time looking at homes that wouldn't meet our criteria.

You will miss CA cuisine (even fast food) probably more than anything else. Say good bye to Mexican food as you know it

Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Gee thanks a lot! We're moving from California because we're sick of the Californians. We don't feel like we fit in here at all!
if you are ok not living in a master planned area, then check out the area along 183 and oak knoll, duval and mcneil

they are really good values and are much faster to get to than cedar park from downtown.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,905 times
I would reccomend southwest austin as well there are good schools either eanes or austin i.s.d its close to lots of trails greenbelt etc. IThat is where i first lived when i moved here. I simply tired of the freeways and seeing more lanes on the side of the freeweay than the freeway itself and drivers here at least cut you off and wave with a smile HAHAH.. I simply moved downtown now and alot easier.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Well hopefully you're not sick of all of us as you're going to run into a lot of former Californians in the Austin area.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RND View Post

You will miss CA cuisine (even fast food) probably more than anything else. Say good bye to Mexican food as you know it
Other than In n' Out and Pat & Oscar's, I don't miss any of the food in San Diego.

I prefer Tex-Mex to the California Mexican food. The quality of the meat(chicken and steak) is much better here at Tex-Mex places. You can always get fajita meat that doesn't have a bunch of dark meat chicken and fat mixed in. It seems a bit healthier, until they give you a bunch of queso to dump on it of course. All of my friends use to love Miguel's in Coronado and we would drive from Carlsbad just to go there. I didn't think it was that special and was happy with just going to Fidel's in Carlsbad instead. And the Mexican food places in Old Town had huge margaritas, but the food never impressed me that much. The atmosphere was great though.

In my opinion, Maudie's Milagro, Trudy's, Chuy's, Texican Cafe, and La Margarita are all better than most Mexican food restaurants in San Diego.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 AM

122 posts, read 407,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Other than In n' Out and Pat & Oscar's, I don't miss any of the food in San Diego.

I prefer Tex-Mex to the California Mexican food. The quality of the meat(chicken and steak) is much better here at Tex-Mex places. You can always get fajita meat that doesn't have a bunch of dark meat chicken and fat mixed in. It seems a bit healthier, until they give you a bunch of queso to dump on it of course. All of my friends use to love Miguel's in Coronado and we would drive from Carlsbad just to go there. I didn't think it was that special and was happy with just going to Fidel's in Carlsbad instead. And the Mexican food places in Old Town had huge margaritas, but the food never impressed me that much. The atmosphere was great though.

In my opinion, Maudie's Milagro, Trudy's, Chuy's, Texican Cafe, and La Margarita are all better than most Mexican food restaurants in San Diego.
I hear alot of former CAs complain about not having In n Out Burger. I do miss CA seafood and El Pollo Loco. However, you have a vast selection of great restaurants in Austin. Mostly, I miss Trader Joe's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin