Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 06:17 PM

17 posts, read 13,758 times

Advertisements

If so, can you share your experience both positive and negative? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
From the point of view of a landlord, I'm not sure why this would be an attractive option as opposed to just selling outright. You either want to be a landlord or you don't. Why subject yourself to a contract that ties you into an unpredictable relationship such as this? The only positive I've heard is that most tenants who have chosen this option end up paying higher rent, but rarely ever complete the purchase. I have also heard that tenants often take better care of the place when they know they might end up owning it.

This might be an attractive option for a limited time, say 5 years. But I would not want to get locked in for longer than that. I can see as a possibility if a person owned a property in an area where it was hard to sell, this might be a little more attractive.

This might help. http://www.businessinsider.com/lease...sellers-2011-5

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-10-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Have you found this to be an option in Austin? I remember it occurring every once in a while 20 years ago but I haven't heard it since. It is common in depressed markets and thin markets where there isn't much demand (small town Iowa for example) but I would be surprised to find anyone offering lease to own as an option here.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
It's not common anymore because agents are not allowed to help facilitate them, only attorneys and most buyers in bad situations can't afford an attorney, muchless the 10%+ non-refundable down payment owners would want.

There are programs where the company buys the house for the buyer, the buyer rents from the company with the option to buy within 3 years. Upon the company buying, the person will already know the cost to buy the property in X amount of years as it's a set number, and definitely not today's price. They are also told the rent for the first, second, and third year as it does go up each year, just like the buy-out price goes up.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Have you found this to be an option in Austin? I remember it occurring every once in a while 20 years ago but I haven't heard it since. It is common in depressed markets and thin markets where there isn't much demand (small town Iowa for example) but I would be surprised to find anyone offering lease to own as an option here.

The reason I asked is because my family will be relocating soon to Austin area. Since we are wanting to lease a home and then eventually buy, one of my friends suggested this option to cut down on multiple moves. Plus it gives us an option to stay in a lease home that we could possibly love.

I don't know anything about it and that is why I posed the question here.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's not common anymore because agents are not allowed to help facilitate them, only attorneys and most buyers in bad situations can't afford an attorney, muchless the 10%+ non-refundable down payment owners would want.

There are programs where the company buys the house for the buyer, the buyer rents from the company with the option to buy within 3 years. Upon the company buying, the person will already know the cost to buy the property in X amount of years as it's a set number, and definitely not today's price. They are also told the rent for the first, second, and third year as it does go up each year, just like the buy-out price goes up.

Thank you for the information. How would one go about finding those types of programs?

Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
From the point of view of a landlord, I'm not sure why this would be an attractive option as opposed to just selling outright. You either want to be a landlord or you don't. Why subject yourself to a contract that ties you into an unpredictable relationship such as this? The only positive I've heard is that most tenants who have chosen this option end up paying higher rent, but rarely ever complete the purchase. I have also heard that tenants often take better care of the place when they know they might end up owning it.

This might be an attractive option for a limited time, say 5 years. But I would not want to get locked in for longer than that. I can see as a possibility if a person owned a property in an area where it was hard to sell, this might be a little more attractive.

This might help. Lease-Purchase Options: How they Work, Pros + Cons for Buyers + Sellers - Business Insider

Thank you for the information.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentter View Post
The reason I asked is because my family will be relocating soon to Austin area. Since we are wanting to lease a home and then eventually buy, one of my friends suggested this option to cut down on multiple moves. Plus it gives us an option to stay in a lease home that we could possibly love.

I don't know anything about it and that is why I posed the question here.
I would say many larger (2500+) homes for lease are because the owner couldnt sell. they may want a buyer that can make it easy to sell and are renting right now just to cover their payments. If you lease, you might not be able to guarantee a sale, but might have first dibs if you put a competitive offer so they dont have to get it ready for sale.

Im looking at a house that is leased out and is 4K sq ft. The original owner moved and thought they were coming back but arent, so now they want to sell. The current tenant wants to buy it so might be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: