Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most changed (growth) over next 5 years?
Cedar park 5 15.63%
Leander 5 15.63%
Kyle 2 6.25%
Buda 5 15.63%
Liberty hill 3 9.38%
Round rock 3 9.38%
Pflugerville 4 12.50%
Manor 3 9.38%
Elgin 0 0%
Georgetown 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think Taylor has been has been "hurt" (not seen growth) because it's a fair distance out without freeway access (79 isn't limited access).

Hutto is close enough to 130 (and I think has annexed up to it now) that it does.

If 79 is ever upgraded (freeway or toll) I think you'll see more growth there(for Taylor and the other cities along there, Thrall etc. )

If I-14 ever happens near there, that may help push that along.
Addendum, I went looking for Williamson Co's long range transportation plan. Surprisingly, they're not calling for upgrading (all) 79 between Taylor and Round Rock as controlled access.

http://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/Depar...rch%202016.pdf

Looks like instead you'd divert to 1431 or 1660.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Don't under estimate Taylor. A saying I've been hearing lately is "From Skanky to Swanky" Especially with the new Brewery next to Louis Mueller's, and attention from "The Day Tripper" series. They are learning from Round Rock apparently. They've been heavily promoting downtown and now have a "Second Saturdays" event. Hutto is seeing lots of growth, but mainly in rooftops. Business growth is falling sadly behind. Pflugerville's Stone Hill is great, but not so good for business in Hutto. It's recently brought in In n' Out, Panera, Thunder Cloud Sub's and Costco.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'll say that Round Rock East/Pflugerville/Hutto have experienced tremendous growth for quite a while, so I don't think they're "changing". Whatever available space there is south of 79 is just about taken. Pflugerville in particular is growing leaps and bounds each year.

Don't believe me? Check out the Gattis School Road/Three Points corridor and FM 685/SH-45/130, where the light gets backed up for miles during evening rush hour.
Commercial space along 685 in both Pflugerville and Hutto remains to be filled in and I think that Pflugerville in particular has put forward some fairly aggressive plans for that corridor between or along 685 and 130.

At one point there was a proposal or concept for a very large (+/- 1 Million square feet) of development with a couple anchor hotels and mixed use commercial and office. It was featured in the Community Impact paper a few months back. I never heard if it was actually moving forward or not. Anyone else remember seeing this?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:50 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've been working the Taylor market (rural and town) off and on for a few years now. A surprising number of people live in Taylor and commute to Austin - for Round Rock/North Austin it's not that bad at all. There's an area that is basically Hyde Park but affordable - old homes have been being lovingly restored there for about a decade now, street by street. Housing prices are much lower than in Austin currently. Their HEB has just been redone and upgraded and you know HEB knows what they're doing!

Had a listing in Thrall a while back and discovered that they apparently are known for their excellent schools.
I absolutely adore the homes on Lake Drive. There was a three level home build at the turn of the century on over an acre. What made us hesitate about shelling out $425k was the lack of amenities in Taylor and the terrible schools. My husband considered Taylor to be "too far out".

Old 10-12-2016, 11:53 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Commercial space along 685 in both Pflugerville and Hutto remains to be filled in and I think that Pflugerville in particular has put forward some fairly aggressive plans for that corridor between or along 685 and 130.

At one point there was a proposal or concept for a very large (+/- 1 Million square feet) of development with a couple anchor hotels and mixed use commercial and office. It was featured in the Community Impact paper a few months back. I never heard if it was actually moving forward or not. Anyone else remember seeing this?
I was thinking of Round Rock along the Gattis School Road corridor when I wrote that though I do agree that Pflugerville is aggressively filling in retail space along 685. When I lived in Pflugerville, there was little development, the road was a simple four lane road, and there were no highways intersecting.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
No doubt every suburb has its case however it's truly hard to imagine anything being a bigger transformation/more development then what's going on in leander and north cedar park. Quite remarkable actually.

Round rock is steady but won't be dramatically different. Same for plfugerville. Hutto will maybe get some retail development with the new houses being built however big missed opportunity when heb built on gattis as that all but ensures they won't see one in the middle of hutto where it would of made more sense. Georgetown has some pretty big developments coming up but it's already quite established like round rock. Liberty hill is bound to get its turn but probably not for some years as Leander is just coming into its own now. Kyle and buda I don't have a ton of knowledge about so I won't speak to those- -same with manor and Elgin though I know they have an identity problem that will have to be broken before they become desirable to the masses.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I absolutely adore the homes on Lake Drive. There was a three level home build at the turn of the century on over an acre. What made us hesitate about shelling out $425k was the lack of amenities in Taylor and the terrible schools. My husband considered Taylor to be "too far out".
I happened to be in Taylor today, and decided to test something.

It was not rush hour. However, I left the HEB in Taylor (which is located on 95 on the north side of town) at 1:59 p.m. and drove to Central Market on North Lamar. Took 130. It was 10 minutes to Hutto, 11 minutes to 130. I was at Parmer and Mopac in 26 minutes (watching the clock all the way). Took about 15-20 minutes to get from the Taylor HEB to Dell (there was traffic and I wasn't looking at the clock then - surprisingly, there was quite a bit of traffic heading in from Taylor at that time of day). Took 40 minutes exactly to get from the Taylor HEB to Central Market, from parked to parked.

People tend to think of distance to downtown, but remember, only about 20% of workers in Austin work downtown. The rest work elsewhere, and a lot of them work north. Taylor is definitely an option for them.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
No doubt every suburb has its case however it's truly hard to imagine anything being a bigger transformation/more development then what's going on in leander and north cedar park. Quite remarkable actually.

Round rock is steady but won't be dramatically different. Same for plfugerville. Hutto will maybe get some retail development with the new houses being built however big missed opportunity when heb built on gattis as that all but ensures they won't see one in the middle of hutto where it would of made more sense. Georgetown has some pretty big developments coming up but it's already quite established like round rock. Liberty hill is bound to get its turn but probably not for some years as Leander is just coming into its own now. Kyle and buda I don't have a ton of knowledge about so I won't speak to those- -same with manor and Elgin though I know they have an identity problem that will have to be broken before they become desirable to the masses.
Buda and especially Kyle had those same identity problems not all that long ago. Now they are booming (both have HEB's, Cabella's is right there, subdivisions popping up like mushrooms, lots of retail). Was there just this weekend on the way home from San Antonio and the Kyle HEB was absolutely packed - every single checkout was staffed and there were long long lines at all of them.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,969 times
The suburb of East Side

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 PM

172 posts, read 177,445 times
Kyle is going to change a lot. I think Buda/Kyle are trying to make a play for some large employer. They want to create opportunities for the citizens instead of having them commute to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin