Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM

75 posts, read 81,113 times

Advertisements

Definitely look at Mueller, which is one of the kid-friendliest areas in town. There is literally a children's museum (with a nice baby area) and two playgrounds in 5-minute walking distance of the Mosaic apartments. We lived there a couple years ago and it was around $1500 for a 2 bed, 1 bath, not sure how much prices have gone up.

I recommend googling apartment locators in Austin, coming for a weekend and having someone show you around. It's free to you and they can help narrow things down.

The Domain is really nice too but seems more like living in a shopping mall. You have lots of options with that work location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtaylor View Post
Definitely look at Mueller, which is one of the kid-friendliest areas in town. There is literally a children's museum (with a nice baby area) and two playgrounds in 5-minute walking distance of the Mosaic apartments. We lived there a couple years ago and it was around $1500 for a 2 bed, 1 bath, not sure how much prices have gone up.

I recommend googling apartment locators in Austin, coming for a weekend and having someone show you around. It's free to you and they can help narrow things down.

The Domain is really nice too but seems more like living in a shopping mall. You have lots of options with that work location.
There's also options bordering Mueller like Windsor Park and Cherrywood. Cherrywood imght be pushing it commute wise with being within the upper and lower deck.

In the end it's up to the OP to decide.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoTX08 View Post
Would Pflugerville and Round Rock be very far?

Can you recommend some apartments in the Burnett area?
I think Pfluger-Rock is a nice area, but it would be farther north than Wells Branch. I think if you want to experience Austin, living in NW Austin (The Domain or near Parmer Rd) would be preferable to Pfluger-Rock.

Personally I like Burnet Flats and AMLI 5350; Those are complexes, but there are plenty of other complexes in the Burnet Rd area which are less expensive. I saw that a 1 BR in the Burnet Flats starts around $1,300 per month. However, the wife and I drove around the Burnet & Ohlen Rd area and saw apartments for around $1,000 per month (1 BR). I noticed though that many apartments on Burnet don't have washers and dryers inside the apartment, you'd need to use a laundry facility on-site. However, I think perhaps apartments in The Domain would have washers and dryer hook-ups, or the machines themselves (not certain though).

I'd also suggest Waters Park on Parmer (near Mopac) and the Barrington on Duval (near The Domain, but outside it). There are also a few complexes in the Gracy Farms area, which are worth checking out and are near Burnet Rd.

I think at the end of the day it depends on if you want a fancier place or something more basic.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 19,185 times
I google that zip code is quite vast. It goes all the way from 183 to Wells Branch.

I highly recommend Round Rock, this city is even better than Austin. All of the stores are close, the houses and apartments are cheap and crime is lower, and is a city tied to Austin. I live in Round Rock and believe me is great.

Another great place is the Domain.

https://onlineleasing7.reachlocal.net/#k=81946

Believe me this is High Class all the way and is quite cheap for what it has to offer.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 15,994 times
Off I-35 and Techridge/Yaeger or Parmer, great area!

Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 PM

124 posts, read 121,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I am going to reccomend commuting from the south and loooking in zip code 78723, 78722 and possibly 78702. $1400 won't get you into mueller proper (unless it's a studio). That area is probably about a 15 minute drive. This area is turning and is gentrifying with young professionals and families. There is a greatHEB (groceries), restaurants and bars off of Manor. Going from the north is rough. North (78728 and 78729) are very suburban whereas the first ones are more central and a bit more urban. Both are family friendly.

EDITING from later posts about the Domain area....183 traffic can be rough at times. You would be going against traffic but it could be rough. The 35 traffic is bareable and if you're heading from 290 east and 35 you could stay on the access road and avoid 35 all the way.

Avoid the immediate area. It's about 5-10 years from being where the areas I mentioned are as far as gentrification and safety. Fwiw, there were two stabbing just north of rundberg over the weekend.
You should see where we live, it really feels like the ghetto here. I wouldn't be surprised if there were shootings in my area or stabbings, I see bums all the time on our road, and we aren't even close to downtown. We've even seen hookers standing on the corner here too.

If it were us and we had to do it all over again we just wouldn't move here at all. However, I would suggest commuting from a small town in the area. Yes your commute times may be longer, (depending on your start time) but it will be safer and cheaper. However employers are realizing the need to change start times here, my bf at the end of the year (if we stay here) will be starting at 11am.

Oh and the sad part is we used an apartment locator. I'm not sure we'll do that again.

Last edited by daisyschic; 10-23-2016 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
You should see where we live, it really feels like the ghetto here. I wouldn't be surprised if there were shootings in my area or stabbings, I see bums all the time on our road, and we aren't even close to downtown. We've even seen hookers standing on the corner here too.

If it were us and we had to do it all over again we just wouldn't move here at all. However, I would suggest commuting from a small town in the area. Yes your commute times may be longer, (depending on your start time) but it will be safer and cheaper. However employers are realizing the need to change start times here, my bf at the end of the year (if we stay here) will be starting at 11am.

Oh and the sad part is we used an apartment locator. I'm not sure we'll do that again.
It seems like every post you have made recently has been about how horrible your experience is in Austin and that you dislike it, you want to leave, etc etc. I think we understand how horrible of an experience it has been but jumping into all the threads and proclaiming that it's the worst ever isn't going to get you anywhere. Everyone has different experiences. I realize it's been really bad for you and you want to leave, but explaining your same situation in every thread is not going to assist someone who has decided on Austin being in their next home. I really do wish you luck and if you need any help with San Antonio let me know.

And fwiw, I live in an area in transition and see homeless people pretty frequently but know what I've gotten in to and avoid those areas. I am about 10 minutes from downtown. There have also been shootings, break-ins, burglaries and stabbings within maybe a 2-4 radius. But I know these things and take proper precautions. We don't live in a Utopian world. There are bad people everywhere you just have to find the good ones.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It seems like every post you have made recently has been about how horrible your experience is in Austin and that you dislike it, you want to leave, etc etc. I think we understand how horrible of an experience it has been but jumping into all the threads and proclaiming that it's the worst ever isn't going to get you anywhere. Everyone has different experiences. I realize it's been really bad for you and you want to leave, but explaining your same situation in every thread is not going to assist someone who has decided on Austin being in their next home. I really do wish you luck and if you need any help with San Antonio let me know.

And fwiw, I live in an area in transition and see homeless people pretty frequently but know what I've gotten in to and avoid those areas. I am about 10 minutes from downtown. There have also been shootings, break-ins, burglaries and stabbings within maybe a 2-4 radius. But I know these things and take proper precautions. We don't live in a Utopian world. There are bad people everywhere you just have to find the good ones.
All points of view are valid here. This person has every right to post about their displeasure with Austin as you have to post about your love affair with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin