Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 AM

313 posts, read 786,432 times

Advertisements

I'd stick to schools south of 183, north of 71 and inside 1 (mopac) and 35 or closely bordering mopac or 35 within that north south boundary like maple wood or doss. Generally speaking, schools east of 35 of more economically disadvantaged and test poorly

I think the majority of people will be accepting outside those zones, but you're playing a numbers game that you could lose out in the suburbs.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Read up on district policy. As another poster mentioned, Oride week was a few weeks back and was supported throughout the district. https://www.austinisd.org/respectforall

Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Man, I consider myself in-the-know on gender/sexuality issues, but that's a new one for me. For those who think they're too good to Google these things, it just means not pigeonholing your kid's forms of expression because of what body part they have in their pants. Given the snark received in this thread, it's absolutely a valid question.

To OP, I imagine there will be accepting places all over the metro, and you just have to speak with teachers and administrators. As a generality, though, the closer you are to the core, the better.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I would suggest schools in AISD, and particularly Doss, Bryker Woods, Mathews, Zilker.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Man, I consider myself in-the-know on gender/sexuality issues, but that's a new one for me. For those who think they're too good to Google these things, it just means not pigeonholing your kid's forms of expression because of what body part they have in their pants. Given the snark received in this thread, it's absolutely a valid question.

To OP, I imagine there will be accepting places all over the metro, and you just have to speak with teachers and administrators. As a generality, though, the closer you are to the core, the better.
Wait, you mean the normal way to treat kids? Boys playing with dolls and girls playing with guns (which I did as a little girl back in the 1950's in East Texas, by the way)?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:15 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
RRISD most definitely did not celebrate Pride at an elementary level. I would echo the advice to stick to AISD schools in the central Austin area.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wait, you mean the normal way to treat kids? Boys playing with dolls and girls playing with guns (which I did as a little girl back in the 1950's in East Texas, by the way)?
You'd think it would be the normal way to treat kids, right? But surely you're aware you were raised in a more enlightened family (as I've gathered from your other posts). There are far too many parents who raise little sh**s who think it's cool to bully the boy cheerleader or belittle the girl in shop class, as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM

375 posts, read 319,127 times
Quote:
You'd think it would be the normal way to treat kids, right? But surely you're aware you were raised in a more enlightened family (as I've gathered from your other posts). There are far too many parents who raise little sh**s who think it's cool to bully the boy cheerleader or belittle the girl in shop class, as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread.
I think the term that was used is what threw me off. Never heard it before. Read a bit about it and still kind of not sure what the big deal is? I think sometimes all the labeling is a bit much and some people overthink things. TexasHorseLady summed it up well and echoes my experience as well.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
No one in this thread suggested it would be "cool to bully....or belittle" anyone.

Several in this thread (including me) had no idea what "gender expansive" meant.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
There wasn't a term for boys, but girls were just "Tomboys". I was always climbing trees, tromping through the woods and playing in mud. Most of my friends were boys. I also played with dolls, but 9 times,out of 10, my dolls were out there with me! My baby sister was huge into hot wheels and toy dump trucks and such. My dad loved shopping for her at Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin