Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,942,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
All these posts are surprisingly not what I expected. UT Austin is presented to be almost like a "Havard" within Texas. So you're saying if I had a 3.1 GPA, decent GMAT score, and the required post-bachelors work experience that my chances of getting in are slim? ...after all, is it not a public school?
Texas is sometimes referred to as one of the "Public Ivies." Like I said, it's in the top 20 MBA programs, and they have their choice of a highly qualified applicant pool. While no one can tell you what your chances are, a 3.1 is a weak GPA and your lack of the kind of post-graduate experience they're looking for will hurt you --- even with a stellar GMAT. The class of 2018 had an average GPA of 3.42 and average GMAT score of 700. Source: https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/F.../Class-Profile

There are certainly MBA programs you can gain admission to, but the top end are probably out of your reach without other compelling factors that would make you a more desirable candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:42 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,067,947 times
@OP, I think if your heart is set on UT, then give it your all and apply to UT, AFAIK, all you have to lose is the application fee, cost of online transcripts, and perhaps mailing fees, but nothing major. I know what you mean about it being a 'state school'; I went to Colorado State as an undergrad and that wasn't viewed as being as tough as getting into Colorado College, for example. However, UT is a highly desired school and from what I hear, most undergrads who get into UT come from the top 10% of their classes. Maybe retaking the GMAT and whooping it's rear-end and getting a good score would be a good option. This way, I figure you could apply and say, "Hey, true, I got a 3.1 GPA, but now I'm serious about succeeding as a grad student and yada yada" (Although make it sound more scholarly than that...lol).

Old 10-26-2016, 10:23 PM

163 posts, read 157,276 times
Quote:
All these posts are surprisingly not what I expected. UT Austin is presented to be almost like a "Havard" within Texas. So you're saying if I had a 3.1 GPA, decent GMAT score, and the required post-bachelors work experience that my chances of getting in are slim? ...after all, is it not a public school?
It is a top 20 business school, you need stellar work experience at a name company (top 100 in the Fortune500), gone to a top 20 undergraduate school, great metrics >700 GMAT and/or 3.5+ GPA, or have done something exceptional, like start your own company or win a prestigious award. 2 of these 4 will probably get you in. Network with alumni, current students or staff will help out a lot as well.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:20 AM

307 posts, read 360,892 times
wow. I pulled the below quote from their admissions criteria -
The committee will evaluate your application relative to the entire applicant pool in a holistic manner...

Actually, I've really been informed by that entire Admissions Criteria page. pretty surprising compared to my assumptions about the MBA.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:24 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,735,879 times
Its been a month, did you get in?

Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM

307 posts, read 360,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Its been a month, did you get in?
Remember the part where I said "getting ready to graduate". Well, that happens Dec. 17th, then I was supposed to apply to UT Austin. So, to put it simply "no", lol. I have not applied yet.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
remember the part where i said "getting ready to graduate". Well, that happens dec. 17th, then i was supposed to apply to ut austin. So, to put it simply "no", lol. I have not applied yet.
don"t break that lease!

Old 11-27-2016, 09:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,067,947 times
Quote:
Remember the part where I said "getting ready to graduate". Well, that happens Dec. 17th, then I was supposed to apply to UT Austin. So, to put it simply "no", lol. I have not applied yet.
(Evil laugh) MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just kidding, hope it works out well for you!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 2,527 times
Breaking a lease will hurt your chances of being able to sign a new one, believe me. Try to sublease your current place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin