Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:40 PM

37 posts, read 38,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Hyde Park is where we wanted to live but we ended up in Mueller because availability in Hyde Park within our price range wasn't really there -- plus you're quite limited on remodeling in much of Hyde Park.

It's a great neighborhood and if you were willing to live in half the square footage you're looking for, or else spend twice as much as you want, you could probably get in there. Definitely take a look - maybe some of those requirements will change once you're standing in front of it.
I'm sure they will...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
There are lots of non chain restaurants in the suburbs. Ditto for green space and parks. 4 beds/3 car garages? no problem. Walkability - i.e. walking out of your house to a bar is where you'd compromise. So, ok, you'd drive 5-10 minutes to a bar...I just don't see that as big of a deal but I'm a suburbanite so I'm biased. You could look northwest/cedar park area for the slightly easier commute to downtown.

If things like size, garages, and lots are important to you than you may reconsider central neighborhoods.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:54 PM

37 posts, read 38,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are lots of non chain restaurants in the suburbs. Ditto for green space and parks. 4 beds/3 car garages? no problem. Walkability - i.e. walking out of your house to a bar is where you'd compromise. So, ok, you'd drive 5-10 minutes to a bar...I just don't see that as big of a deal but I'm a suburbanite so I'm biased. You could look northwest/cedar park area for the slightly easier commute to downtown.

If things like size, garages, and lots are important to you than you may reconsider central neighborhoods.
I am considering it. What's the commute from Cedar park to Downtown like? What other suburbs would you recommend to look into?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:

From our little place in Avery Ranch, we can walk to BBQ, specialty pizza/casual Italian(2), Wine and App bar, Sports Pub, soon a locally roasted coffee house, Chinese, McDonalds, Snap Kitchen, yogurt, etc. You'd have to move a bit east or west to get the three-car garage; but there are a few in the adjacent hoods. BTW, walk to Brushy Creek Trail, Lakeline train station(long walk, but sidewalks all the way), YMCA(again, long walk on the BC Trail), and a darned nice daily fee golf club. Very walkable in the sidewalk sense.

Off-hours commute is not horrible, 20-24 miles; but I wouldn't recommend it for daily 'normal hours' commuting.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
From our little place in Avery Ranch, we can walk to BBQ, specialty pizza/casual Italian(2), Wine and App bar, Sports Pub, soon a locally roasted coffee house, Chinese, McDonalds, Snap Kitchen, yogurt, etc. You'd have to move a bit east or west to get the three-car garage; but there are a few in the adjacent hoods. BTW, walk to Brushy Creek Trail, Lakeline train station(long walk, but sidewalks all the way), YMCA(again, long walk on the BC Trail), and a darned nice daily fee golf club. Very walkable in the sidewalk sense.

Off-hours commute is not horrible, 20-24 miles; but I wouldn't recommend it for daily 'normal hours' commuting.
I believe you but the question is how far of a walk and where in Avery you're located. Technically I'm within walking distance is to a strip mall with food etc but it's roughly a mile away. Totally doable for me but still wouldn't be considered walkable. With that said his best bet probably is that area.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:44 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbluenote View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to either austin or dallas. i will be keeping my job and will work from home 95% of the time (the rest would be in downtown austin). she will be looking for a part time job and will go to school.
we'll visit both metro's and decide which one we like better but I'd like some help with neighborhoods/burbs to focus our search.
our budget is 400s-600s. depends on location and property tax. we'd like a 4 bedroom. 2 car garage (3 would be perfect), close to shops, good restaurants and walkable areas. view would be nice but not a necessity. There are no kids and there wont be any so i'd happily trade the good school district for a lower property tax area.
thanks for your help!
There are a few 3 car garage floor plans in the Agave neighborhood which is 6 miles from downtown. Check out MLS listing 5277514 and that neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
There are a few 3 car garage floor plans in the Agave neighborhood which is 6 miles from downtown. Check out MLS listing 5277514 and that neighborhood.
Has there been some sort of new commercial development boom in Agave that would make it be describable as walkable? Unless you consider the high voltage power lines, wastewater treatment plant, railroad tracks or trailer park at the bottom of the hill as walkable features?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I believe you but the question is how far of a walk and where in Avery you're located. Technically I'm within walking distance is to a strip mall with food etc but it's roughly a mile away. Totally doable for me but still wouldn't be considered walkable. With that said his best bet probably is that area.
Even at my advanced age and questionable physical condition, I consider 'a mile away' super walkable. In Avery Ranch, the main commercial intersection is Parmer Ln and AR Blvd. Of course, as you go east or west from that point, you increase the walking distance. Great lighting and sidewalks everywhere, so traffic is only a concern at the crossings.

Of course, I'm a car guy, so walking to a bar or dinner isn't something I would do often; but I have been known to slog up 'the hill' to Smokey Mo's or Hunan Ranch or Brooklyn Heights for take-out.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Wouldn't that mean the garage space is the same size as the living space?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Even at my advanced age and questionable physical condition, I consider 'a mile away' super walkable. In Avery Ranch, the main commercial intersection is Parmer Ln and AR Blvd. Of course, as you go east or west from that point, you increase the walking distance. Great lighting and sidewalks everywhere, so traffic is only a concern at the crossings.

Of course, I'm a car guy, so walking to a bar or dinner isn't something I would do often; but I have been known to slog up 'the hill' to Smokey Mo's or Hunan Ranch or Brooklyn Heights for take-out.
Right, but the urban definition of walkable is less than that. I'm from New York, and when people mention walkability, they mean less than a mile, so my view may be skewed. i had restaurants a block or two away, which is different than walking down a county road and across tracks to a shopping center. I wouldn't call my area walkable in the city dwellers sense of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin