U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 21,748 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I'm contemplating a move to Austin. I currently live in Hawaii (Honolulu), and have been here for four years. However, my father has fallen ill and I want to be closer to my family (although somewhere I would still enjoy living!) He's being treated at M.D. Anderson in Houston, and I've always considered moving to Austin someday, so I'm thinking about making the move now so that I would be able to take frequent trips to visit him, but still have my own life.

I'm 24 and single, like to make art, also like to do logic proofs, LOVE to be outside. I'm still working on my B.A. because I took several years off to work full time.

Based on things I've read on this board, I think I'd prefer to live in Travis Heights or somewhere else near SoCo. Although I'm still in school, and would be transferring to finish at UT, socially I don't really do the college thing. My friends here are mostly young professionals, a few grad students and art heads. I plan on my social network being similar in Austin, and it sounds as if living in Hyde Park would not be quite my vibe.

I hesitate, however, because I'm concerned about traffic. I have read some complaints about Austin traffic, and I was wondering what my commute from Travis Heights to UT would be like. I have used google transit to figure the bus trip and it looks like about 30-45 minutes (including walking time).

Any guess as to the driving time to UT with traffic? Anyone have experience with the parking sitch at UT? ie Can I park, or would it be so much of a nightmare that I should only take the bus? (Parking at UH, where I am currently, is ridiculous)

Also, I'm curious about the walkability of Travis Heights. It seems like a short walk to South Congress, but I've also read about the neighborhood having many hills and such. I prefer to walk (occasionally bike) whenever I can, although I do drive. So what I'm asking is would you walk from a home in Travis Heights to South Congress?

One more question: currently I live walking distance from a large city park and the ocean. I anticipate this being something I miss dearly, so I had the thought that it might be nice to be closer to Zilker Park... any thoughts?

I know Zilker Park is only a few miles from South Congress, but based on traffic here, sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes to drive a few miles. So when I read about traffic in Austin being bad, I wasn't sure what to think. Although I know traffic can vary greatly based on the route and area.

Thanks in Advance for your input! Because of my family situation I'm likely not going to have a ton of time to look around Austin before I get settled, so I'm trying to sort out as much as I can before hand!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 AM

10,147 posts, read 18,778,193 times
Traffic will not be your problem. Travis heights and UT are both in the city "core", so it is a short 10 min or so drive up Lamar or one of the other N-S streets, even in rush hour.

Coming from Hawaii, though, I can't begin to think of all the things you will miss. There will be many, I'm sure. Austin can be walkable and is very outdoorsy, but that's by Texas standards. The hills in Travis heights are very small, not the problem with walking... the problem would be the busy streets. However, to your specific question -- I'd have no problem walking from Travis Heights to SoCo. It's very easy. Can't walk all the way to UT, but could take the bus. Also, SoCo or Travis Heights to the Zilker area is no problem traffic-wise; they are all so close together, even when it is rush hour it is only a few minutes to get around those places. The horrible traffic you read about are the highways in/out of downtown, especially if you are having to go crosstown (skipping downtown) from the North to South or vice-versa. Those are truly the horrible commutes. Going into/out of downtown from the suburbs can be bad, too... but not as bad as crosstown. Within the central areas is easy.

Parking is pretty tough in the UT area. It can be done, but taking the bus is better -- you really don't need a car around the campus area, anyway. If you've got a bunch of classes, it's real easy to spend the whole day there just walking or taking the shuttle. Then take the bus home. No need for a car.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the info about traffic and parking! Very glad to hear that Travis Heights to UT is manageable.

Walkable by Texas standards is probably good enough for me. If an ordinary resident would walk from Travis Heights to SoCo, then I'm happy. (not meaning to call you ordinary, though. I am sure you are fabulous and special and unique.) I am prone to trying to see every city as "pedestrian friendly." I walk a lot of places here that my friends generally do not, so it's good to know I may find other people in Austin willing to walk with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Coming from Hawaii, though, I can't begin to think of all the things you will miss. There will be many, I'm sure.
I'm not sure how I'll fare with the transition. There are certainly many things I'll miss about Hawai'i, but also many things about the mainland I have missed and am greatly looking forward to having again. (WHOLE FOODS! Live Music! Getting to New York in 5 hours instead of 15! Seeing my Nephew more than twice a year! Paying less than a grand per month in rent! Single men with jobs! (At least I hear these mythical creatures exist elsewhere. They are decidedly hard to come by in these parts.))

But yeah, the way I see it I can always move back. Hawai'i will still be here. My father will not, so the trade-offs will be worth it. I'm just trying to make the transition as pleasant as possible. I'm hoping I might even end up somewhere I'll enjoy being no matter what happens with my father's health.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM

63 posts, read 240,938 times
I used to live in Travis Heights and walked to SoCo all the time. I also suggest you look into the Bouldin Creek area. It's just on the other side of South Congress and a bit closer to Zilker Park.Moderator cut: realtor link

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-26-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis_Jones View Post
I used to live in Travis Heights and walked to SoCo all the time. I also suggest you look into the Bouldin Creek area. It's just on the other side of South Congress and a bit closer to Zilker Park.Moderator cut: realtor link
Thanks for the advice! I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin