Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:03 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,219 times

Advertisements

Our house is in the neighborhood near Circle C, newer house (built 2002) and we're looking at having the berber carpet upstairs in the game room and kids rooms torn out and replaced, mostly for resale. Our entire downstairs is hard wood which we love but think wood upstairs would be over the top expensive, plus too noisy.

For resale, what does the group think is the ideal carpet to go in a game room, hallway, kids rooms and guest rooms? Frieze or Berber? Or something else entirely? What's in style these days carpet-wise?

I've not been following trends in carpet for family homes lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:48 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I can't imagine someone walking away from a house with tile or wood in the bedroom(s). Much easier to put down a throw rug than it is to rip out the carpet if you hate it... which more and more folks seem to nowadays.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
we are putting our house up for sale and are using a stager interior designer to make those decisions.

We are leaving carpet all upstairs and on the stairs. ill let you know what kind she recommends.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Our house is in the neighborhood near Circle C, newer house (built 2002) and we're looking at having the berber carpet upstairs in the game room and kids rooms torn out and replaced, mostly for resale. Our entire downstairs is hard wood which we love but think wood upstairs would be over the top expensive, plus too noisy.

For resale, what does the group think is the ideal carpet to go in a game room, hallway, kids rooms and guest rooms? Frieze or Berber? Or something else entirely? What's in style these days carpet-wise?

I've not been following trends in carpet for family homes lately.
Yes, you are "right", assuming there is a "right or wrong". Carpet in an upstairs gameroom and bedrooms is fine.

Steve

Old 11-07-2016, 07:52 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Berber or Flor carpet tiles if you're going to do carpet

Old 11-07-2016, 09:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I absolutely would not replace the carpet upstairs for resale purposes. No way. If it looks worn and ratty, then replacement may be necessary but to spend $$$ based on potential buyer whims? Save your money for things down the road.

FWIW there's no way I'd want wood or any other hard flooring upstairs. We have a good carpet that muffles sound, plus it's comfortable underfoot. We are a "no shoes upstairs" household so staining isn't an issue.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:33 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I absolutely would not replace the carpet upstairs for resale purposes. No way. If it looks worn and ratty, then replacement may be necessary but to spend $$$ based on potential buyer whims? Save your money for things down the road.

FWIW there's no way I'd want wood or any other hard flooring upstairs. We have a good carpet that muffles sound, plus it's comfortable underfoot. We are a "no shoes upstairs" household so staining isn't an issue.
my stager says the opposite. Most people want a move in ready house. The more buyers the higher price you are going to get.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:50 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
my stager says the opposite. Most people want a move in ready house. The more buyers the higher price you are going to get.
I just replaced our upstairs carpet for resale and that-- along with some fresh paint and a little staging--really transformed our house from "worn out" looking to fresh & ready to move-in. Funny thing is that initially I didn't think our house looked worn at all, but those small changes were transformative.

Had 4 offers on the first day....in a neighborhood that had 7 houses sitting on the market for 6+ months with no sales. Got significantly over asking and more per sf than the others that have been sitting in the neighborhood. While I initially hesitated to replace carpet, I do think it helped our house move quickly.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 PM

42 posts, read 40,219 times
Is it a second living area?

Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It depends on location, time of year, and competition. If you are in a good location/desirable neighborhood and inventory is low, then what I posted above applies. Our current home, while updated some, still had several rooms straight out of the 80s when the home was constructed. The carpet is almost ten years old. The home basically sold for asking - the sellers didn't budge much and they really didn't have to. That's right, we accepted living in a partial time capsule with ten year old carpet in exchange for the top three, four things we wanted. In my neighborhood, for every "move in ready" home there are three homes that haven't been updated. Original owners and all. People still buy the homes and aren't getting them at a discount either unless they're REALLY dated.

A ten year old carpet, as long as it is in good condition, doesn't need to be replaced for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: