Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation from Seattle to Austin Texas, laid back lifestyle, sunshine and warm weather, tech industry, software engineering, more house for the money, law school grad, attorney employment

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 48,322 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Seattle for about five years now, and the gloom seems to get tougher to handle every year. My husband and I have been thinking about moving for some time now, but haven't been able to do so because we've been stuck in school. Now that we'll have the freedom to move this year, we've been looking at different cities more seriously, and love the idea of Austin. We feel that Austin would be a good fit for a number of reasons:

- tech industry (my husband will have his master of software engineering by this summer and has about 5 years of work experience)
- sunshine and warm weather!
- nice place to raise a family
- laid back lifestyle - compared to other cities I've lived in (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle)
- a lot more house for the money

Of course, I've only visited Austin once, so I don't really know what it's like to live there and have a lot of questions. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

- what's the job market like for an entry level attorney? I graduate from Seattle University School of Law this summer, and would like to take the Texas bar in Feb. My main concern is competing with all the UT law school grads.
- what are some good neighborhoods that are close to tech jobs? We're looking for a nice, quiet place to raise a family (I saw the post about train noise in RR - no thanks!) Price range is around 300K, looking for good schools, neighborhoods safe from tornados...
- any areas that have less of a bug problem? Maybe more developed areas? not too fond of bugs. What kinds of bugs do we have to look out for? I don't do very well with mosquito bites.
- how bad is the humidity for someone that's spent most of their life on the west coast? I know what hot feels like since I grew up in the valley in Los Angeles, but haven't experienced much humidity, except for summers spent in Budapest, Hungary and some time living in New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 PM

147 posts, read 693,352 times
You'll find plenty of lawyerin jobs round here, one thing though, you better hit the tanning bed before you come on down. Folks come down here from Seattle look like they just got out of the hospital cause they're so pale.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 PM

314 posts, read 1,226,182 times
Sounds like you are a perfect fit for Austin. We have all that you mentioned and more.

Also the bats eat most of the mosquitos! A bonus I was not expecting when we moved here from Houston - the mosquito capital of the world.

Not sure what the mosquitos are like up North, but I live in SW Austin. Also there are many great areas to live. I would suggest getting your jobs first, then deciding on a neighborhood.

You can always do a 3 to 6 month lease on an apartment when you get here.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM

212 posts, read 1,073,519 times
Do It! I lived in Redmond and Duvall most of my life. My wife couldn't handle another year (she lasted 8+) in the rainy weather and I found an opening with my company (software) in Austin.

We moved to Round Rock and really like it, I'll have to find the train post. I' haven't been able to wipe the stupid grin off my face this winter when it's hitting 80 in Feb and 40 and rainy in Seattle. I just wonder what took us so long to finally decide to move to the sun.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,273,378 times
Austin is more humid than the West Coast but nothing like New York City. It's only really an issue once the temperature gets into the 90s, though by that time it's usually dried out considerable from lack of rain. I find Austin to be more of a dry climate than a humid climate. At the same time, 100 degrees is freakin' hot, no matter where you are. I'll warn you.. Austin's summers are brutal and they last about 6-months, with July-September feeling like the pitts of Hell.

Bugs are not really an issue. I've only seen maybe one or two mosquitoes in the 8-years I've lived here. The only annoying insects are fire ants as they are nearly impossible to get rid of (and I'm highly allergic to them). Another animal that I consider a "pest" are these large, black birds called "Grackles". They overrun the city a few times throughout the year in massive flocks, covering everything in their path with a layer of crap. You'll see groups of people running for cover whenever a large flock of Grackles takes off flying.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,232 times
I don't know where you all live who says bugs are not an issue! There are BUGS here - especially more than up in the Pacific Northwest. Mosquitos aren't TOO bad, but they are present, and your dogs MUST be on heartworm preventative here (not necessary, just a "nice thing to do" in WA - but a necessity here) because of the mosquitos. The chance of getting heartworms here w/o preventative is very high! To Austin's defense, the mosquito problem here isn't like it is down in South Texas - you can't even go outside without repellant on when we were visiting in the summer.

The fire ants are NO JOKE - and you must put stuff in your lawn or you will have MASSIVE ant mounds. Quarterly bug control is a way of life...

BUT -

This is all stuff you can work through, and shouldn't deter you from coming down here. Your quality of life increase will be through the roof and you will not regret it... you will wonder why you hadn't done it sooner...

Quote:
At the same time, 100 degrees is freakin' hot, no matter where you are. I'll warn you.. Austin's summers are brutal and they last about 6-months, with July-September feeling like the pitts of Hell.
Perhaps I am odd - but I didn't mind the summer a bit last year, and we didn't spend it all inside either. July and August were HOT but bearable in my opinion... surely NOT the pitts of hell.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM

438 posts, read 828,653 times
My wife is an attorney and received a law degree from another school and not UT. Getting an attorney job in this town is tough. You will have much competition with UT grads. If you have a degree from UT, the doors are wide open for you in Austin. A law degree from elsewhere and you are basically shunned (unless it is top tier Ivy league school.) Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,719,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreSunshine View Post
I've been living in Seattle for about five years now, and the gloom seems to get tougher to handle every year. My husband and I have been thinking about moving for some time now, but haven't been able to do so because we've been stuck in school. Now that we'll have the freedom to move this year, we've been looking at different cities more seriously, and love the idea of Austin. We feel that Austin would be a good fit for a number of reasons:

- tech industry (my husband will have his master of software engineering by this summer and has about 5 years of work experience)
- sunshine and warm weather!
- nice place to raise a family
- laid back lifestyle - compared to other cities I've lived in (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle)
- a lot more house for the money

Of course, I've only visited Austin once, so I don't really know what it's like to live there and have a lot of questions. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

- what's the job market like for an entry level attorney? I graduate from Seattle University School of Law this summer, and would like to take the Texas bar in Feb. My main concern is competing with all the UT law school grads.
- what are some good neighborhoods that are close to tech jobs? We're looking for a nice, quiet place to raise a family (I saw the post about train noise in RR - no thanks!) Price range is around 300K, looking for good schools, neighborhoods safe from tornados...
- any areas that have less of a bug problem? Maybe more developed areas? not too fond of bugs. What kinds of bugs do we have to look out for? I don't do very well with mosquito bites.
- how bad is the humidity for someone that's spent most of their life on the west coast? I know what hot feels like since I grew up in the valley in Los Angeles, but haven't experienced much humidity, except for summers spent in Budapest, Hungary and some time living in New York City.

It's a state capitol, so try the lobbying firms.....there are some large ones that cater to the oil industry and such......It may not be NYC or Chicago, but if you compromise, you can surely find something. Surely no one would consider Austin a DC-like atmosphere, but if you are just starting out, you surely can find work with some firm somewhere. You are buying the atmosphere and weather just like Florida in Austin....if you can make some compromises and don't expect a high-powerered career climb, you can surely find something to pay the bills. If you are looking for a major career climb, you are aware that Chicago, NYC, DC and such would be the place to be. Sounds like you guys are willing to make sacrifices to be where you want to be, so, if you are flexible and persistent, you can find a workable solution
in Austin!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM

338 posts, read 1,364,344 times
Question WA, AK... Austin... ?

Hey to "everyone" - I'm looking to snowbird in a relocation process from the Midwest - perhaps moving to AK or WA and doing winters someplace warm and sunny. Have family in TX, and they suggested Austin for its topography/climate. I visited once years ago - and all I remember is hills.

I've got a pup - he goes where I go and is a runner. We'd either need short-term housing with a fenced-in yard for him to run or a nearby fenced-in, off-leash dog park. Do they have those there?

I also am allergic to mosquito bites and swell when bit... wondering if I should steer *from* Austin with what I'm reading? We travel a LOT, so pup is on Sentinel year-round. Is there something more highly recommended in that area than Sentinel?

Grew up in the South and do *not* like bugs, cockroaches, snakes, spiders.. etc. Haven't seen 'em for years here! But I know it's a trade-off. What about scorpions? Snakes? Mice? I can see my pup plopping some bloody treasure at my feet to play. I've seen the Grackles - no problem with those. Reminds me of The Birds! Lol.

Also, what are winters like? I know I couldn't handle the summers there. I'd be looking (if I end up in WA or AK to drive down) to arrive sometime in October or early November and leave within 4-5 months to drive back to AK with spring thaw for the Alcan drive.

Also, for the two coming from WA - how's driving from WA winters? Would you advise an OR/N.CA route, or is that just as snowy as some of the Rockies states?

Okay - that's enough for now. Feedback?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 11,258 times
Red face Also considering the move to Austin

Hello,
My family is also considering a move to Austin this year after living in the Seattle area for seven years. There is a lot about Seattle I love: the seafood, coffee, local wine and breweries, the wildlife (orcas, eagles, salmon), the arts scene, the world class ballet, the mountains and the skiing. There is a lot to like.

But, it is hard to get around the weather. I am couped up inside with the children often. It is too rainy to go to the park or play in the backyard. My kids get restless and do better when they can go out to play. I believe that I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) due to the lack of sunlight.

I am sorry to leave but look forward to new opportunities and a chance to feel better. Does any one have any feelings about this? I am a bit concerned about the heat. Will I wilt or can I take it? I don't want to go from being stuck inside due to rain to being stuck inside due to heat. I do like it somewhat hot and have never felt it is warm enough here for me so maybe I would tolerate it well. I am also worried about fitting in and whether everyone there is very religious. I don't like to be preached to unless it is by my choosing.

I flew there for a visit and thought Austin was BEAUTIFUL! People were friendly and the twisty live oaks were enchanting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin